advertisement

New Birdlife Visitors

When I were a youngster we used to see a lot of Kestrels - frequently on Motorway verges. Nowadays, I cannot remember the last time I saw one - where are they all? (or not?)

When I were a youngster we used to see a lot of Kestrels - frequently on Motorway verges. Nowadays, I cannot remember the last time I saw one - where are they all? (or not?)
Down to the massive increase in corvid numbers (Jackdaws ,Magpies especially) They predate the nests of Kestrels etc ,egg and chick robbers.

Ah yes we have a pair of peregrines that live on Salisbury cathedral.
We have a pair on Truro cathedral. I spent a few.weeks with a pair and the young on the north coast at a well known site. Saw some wonderful hunting. Individually, adult pair and parent teaching the young.

We notice the numbers of buzzards and kestrels varies markedly from year to year. Overall the buzzard numbers have been stable over the twenty plus years we have been taking note. Kestrels are declining. We have a high population of corvids and gulls that hassle both species constantly.

In South Oxfordshire we have to sweep Red Kites off the doorstep to get out the house. They make sounds that remind me of the Nazgul; apart from that I rather like them.

In South Oxfordshire we have to sweep Red Kites off the doorstep to get out the house. They make sounds that remind me of the Nazgul; apart from that I rather like them.

Couple of years ago, while visiting the railway museum at Didcot we could see the Red Kites up and circling over to the east. Later that day we were driving through Didcot to a restaurant we’d booked, got lost and were driving down a residential street when one flew towards us at “head height”. Even though we were protected by the metal monster of an Audi, we both “ducked” as it flew over. :D

Magnificent birds!

My brother in law lives close by the conservation establishment in Wales.

advertisement

Back