advertisement

Possible new Rega cartridge range

I suspect that very few people not already running Rega turntables have bought them and most users either acquire them with a turntable or replace/upgrade an existing Rega cartridge. Right now I'm using an Exact on an LP12, how many times have you heard of that? Or a Rega cartridge being used on any non-Rega turntable? A bit like Linn tonearms which became almost irrelevant after Rega launched the RB arms. Only Linn users bought them, usually already on a turntable.
Most Linn dealers are (were?) also Rega dealers. As such, it isn't unusual to see Linn decks with Rega MMs on. IME, early on, both Bias and Elys provided some counterpoint to the A-T derived Linn MMs. If anything, the Rega MMs were more classic Linn complimentary in their presentation than were Linn's own branded offerings, only Linn customers just weren't encouraged to try.

When I purchased a P3 (latest edition) it came factory fitted with Elys at modest extra price.
Despite my Elys reservations I thought it was better than older editions (or maybe the deck was so much better), maybe due to Rega have further developed cartridge manufacture process ?

It will be interesting to follow Rega's new upcoming range.

I'll take your word for it. I never have. Sounds like a waste of a perfectly good record player to me.

Today its often the other way round, average music listeners putting expensive cartridges on a Planar 1, cartridge retails more than that deck.

I see, that's too bad. Consistency for all customers would be a good thing.
I can assure you of 100% consistency, the rebuild option is available worldwide, but given time and delivery constraints and our need for the cartridge back it is perhaps in some distributors, dealers and customers best interest for different options being available locally, possible a simple trade in. I am certainly unaware of any complaints from overseas customers that what is / was offered locally was unacceptable.

Today its often the other way round, average music listeners putting expensive cartridges on a Planar 1, cartridge retails more than that deck.

There is a thread on the PS Audio forums asking if one would match a $7,500 cartridge with a $4,500 table/arm. I’m surprised at how many people say yes - that has never been my experience.

There is a thread on the PS Audio forums asking if one would match a $7,500 cartridge with a $4,500 table/arm. I’m surprised at how many people say yes - that has never been my experience.
Surely, paying $7,500 for a phono cartridge must require some form of religious conversion first.

A cost effective approach might be to find a a well used / knackered sample and take advantage of the Rega rebuild scheme. Other than that it would have to be an Apheta 3 which has the tip arrangement of the flagship Aphelion which at £1250 would be a stretch too far me. Good things written about the less costly Ania Pro which uses the Vital stylus as found on the Exact. Patience might be in order though as the rumoured new MM range may feature a range topping Exact.

Is the Aphelion any good against say a Hana ML? I have a Hana SL and was considering a move up to the ML.

The hierarchy approach is not that elementary.

For a start it is a based on a cascade of quality, not price, because what law says that different types of component cost a similar amount to manufacture to a comparable quality? Where is the logic in saying a £5,000 turntable is of equal quality to a £5,000 cartridge? Retailers, magazines and the not very bright tend to think of quality is monetary terms but there is no reason to. I've heard lovely sounding hi-end systems featuring very inexpensive digital front ends.

Also, once above a certain point the law of diminishing returns is hitting hard and a £7,000 cartridge may only be slightly better than a £4,000 one. It might be no better at all, just different. One can reasonably question whether further meaningful improvement is possible above a certain point?

Especially at the hi-end, I don't think cost-based component choice is valid.

advertisement

Back