advertisement

Headphone amp suggestions

Reasonable, not dirt cheap neither over the moon.

Has anyone experience of a Little Dot MkII?

I had one but wasn't impressed as I found it quite noisy with a fair bit of hissing in the background. I ended up replacing it with one of the valve Schiit ones - can't recall the model but it was just one of the cheaper ones (the Vali I think) - and that's much better.

Although I haven’t used one, I’ve had a couple of Schiit DACs and would not hesitate to use their other kit, too.
Cheapest headphone amp is, I think, the Magni 3+ at about £125. My brother has recently said he wanted to try a headphone setup and I will suggest he goes for the Schiit and I won’t spend any more time thinking about his alternatives. I’ll just tell him to go for the Magni.
what I don’t know, though, is whether your Linn pre-amp has any special requirements (e.g. balanced connections, etc).

If you can find one (only used or NOS), a Myryad Z40 is a superb amp/pre-amp with lots of facilities. Exc. with my Focal and Senn. cans

I had a Schiit Magni 3, compared it to the Topping L30, kept the Topping. Now replaced that with a Topping A30pro, superb piece of kit.
L30 now for sale if your interested.
TS

a Myryad Z40 is a superb amp/pre-amp with lots of facilities.

Second that...but also the "if you can find one". They knocked them out very cheap at the end but you'll struggle to find one for sale at all now, which probably says it all.

advertisement

Back