advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase class A and electrostatics?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Anyone tried this combination? Much as I love my Tannoys I am tempted to get me a set of something like ESL63s. Not necessarily to replace the big ass Tannoys, but I’m ruling nothing out. Including setting up a second system in the back living room (which currently has no music system).

I’m just not sure whether s/s class A and ‘stats is the best combination. FWIW most of my listening is at low to moderate levels.

Forget 63s; go to the newer ones (see my post on your other thread). Class A s/s or valves would be lovely, assuming a reasonable power output.

Reactions: JTC
Forget 63s; go to the newer ones (see my post on your other thread). Class A s/s or valves would be lovely, assuming a reasonable power output.
30w/60w class A 8/4ohms, AB beyond that. Would that be enough?

30w/60w class A 8/4ohms, AB beyond that. Would that be enough?

At your listening levels (and ESLs are not for head-bangers anyway), I'd say yes, but don't quote me as I have 100 w.p.c. valved mono's. However, you have a well-designed amp and I'm pretty sure there are those on here who are driving ESLs with lesser amplification. 60 w.p.c. with grunt is more than adequate, I'd say. The 4 ohm minimum (is it minimum?????) would just about match the lower level impedance of mine. Anyway, I use 4 ohm taps on mine; sounds better.

Your 590 AXII can deliver up to 172 watts into 4 ohm, it is nearly the double what the ESL63 can handle.;)
If we take the 86dB efficiency and the 172 watts and a listening distance about 3 meter you can achieve 102dB in free field conditions in a living room even more. Even when we lower the efficiency to 80dB it still would be 96dB.

Anyone tried this combination? Much as I love my Tannoys I am tempted to get me a set of something like ESL63s. Not necessarily to replace the big ass Tannoys, but I’m ruling nothing out. Including setting up a second system in the back living room (which currently has no music system).

I’m just not sure whether s/s class A and ‘stats is the best combination. FWIW most of my listening is at low to moderate levels.
Extremely pleased with the 590AX/ESL11a combo, no issues playing loud. Plan to swap next year, to either 15a most likely or big Maggies, aim to get a demo or two. The built in active/dsp subs the Logans use are very effective, I don’t miss the Lyngdorf RP EQ because of them. With Maggies I'd go for stereo subs with some dsp/eq. The Maggie LRS around £1K are worth a listen I reckon if it’s for a second system, again with a sub or subs.

If we take the 86dB efficiency and the 172 watts and a listening distance about 3 metres you can achieve 102dB in free field conditions and in a living room even more.

Are you sure your pseudonym isn't 'Shatterbrain'? I have disturbing visions of big ESLs dancing on their spikes. :D

advertisement

Back