advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sainsburys 25% off
I have found supermarket wine to be patchy, needing to be very selectively bought. However Waitrose first then Sainsbury's do much better than others. I buy Champagne from Sainsbury's especially when on special offer and with the 25% discount - but only from those stores where my cellar book shows they don't have a history of poorly stored stock. Often that's Bollinger Special Cuvée until recently (but others too). However I see that has given way around this locale to a large store stock of Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut which I now have in "the cellar" to try.

Of other Sainsbury's wines Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent (Louis Jadot) gets a favourable score from me (but with a caveat that the 2018 needs at least two hours in the decanter).

The 1000 Stories Zinfandel and Chronic Cellars Space Doubt Zinfandel both get a "likeable but not great" comment.

After @Marchbanks' earlier comments about D.V. Catena Malbec from Tesco I tried a bottle to compare with the different D.V. Catena Malbec Catena Zapata from Sainsbury's and I liked the Sainsbury's ("acceptable") rather more than the Tesco.

I have tried their Les Courlandes Châteauneuf-du-Pape and found it too lightweight for my taste. I do have some of their Clos de l'Oratoire des Papes to try out soon.

However, I wonder what others buy from the Sainsbury's range?

I used to like a SA Syrah sold by Sainsbugs - Bellingham Bernard Series something or other. I even, rather rashly, recommended it to a certain Marchbanks of this parish. Blow me if the next bottle I bought wasn’t as good as hitherto, and I haven’t felt the urge to revisit it since. Sorry MB, and I noticed you’ve been kind enough not to offer your thoughts on it…

OK, you can stop that endless Brexit thread now - I've found the one good thing, and it is cheaper wine, albeit in smallish quantities.

Here I am with a bottle of JP Brun's Fleurie Grille Midi 2018 and the paperwork I present at the Eurotunnel terminal when leaving France in order to get a VAT refund. I paid 19.95€ per bottle, which after a 15% reduction (the store takes a little cut too) comes to £14.34 at today's exchange rate. Beat that! I also bought Jacky Blot's Bourgueil Haut de la Butte and Mi-pente 2018 (both on a 10% reduction today to boot) for £13.91 and £18.08 respectively. Way-hey! Tomorrow I'm off to Carrefour to repeat the trick with beer, but now I'm off to dinner with a spring in my step.

51619255429_b088358b53_z.jpg

^ Davy's have the JP 2017 at £29. Have you bought a new hat with the savings ? Very spiffy.
Yes, and the saving on the Mi-Pente is close to 40%, compared to L&W. Calais Vins is a good store, the manager (who organised the paperwork for me) is a good chap, the staff are knowledgeable and the stock list is decent. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow for some Tempier Rosé, which works out at around £17. I'm still not quite sure I'm ready to splash out that much on rosé though, but I'm willing to be persuaded.

No, not a new hat, but hats are on the list for tomorrow chez Carrefour (this perk works for clothing, housewares, electronics etc too).

Last edited:
Yes, the saving on the Mi-Pente is close to 50% too, compared to L&W. Calais Vins is a good store, the manager (who organised the paperwork for me) is a good chap, the staff are knowledgeable and the stock list is decent. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow for some Tempier Rosé, which works out at around £17. I'm still not quite sure I'm ready to splash out that much on rosé though, but I'm willing to be persuaded.

No, not a new hat, but hats are on the list for tomorrow chez Carrefour (this perk works for clothing, housewares, electronics etc too).
Get this
https://www.calais-vins.com/pere-ca...-caboche-vin-rouge-de-la-vallee-du-rhone.html
Or this
https://www.calais-vins.com/pere-ca...le-petit-caboche-vin-de-pays-du-vaucluse.html

I have found supermarket wine to be patchy, needing to be very selectively bought. However Waitrose first then Sainsbury's do much better than others. I buy Champagne from Sainsbury's especially when on special offer and with the 25% discount - but only from those stores where my cellar book shows they don't have a history of poorly stored stock. Often that's Bollinger Special Cuvée until recently (but others too). However I see that has given way around this locale to a large store stock of Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut which I now have in "the cellar" to try.

Of other Sainsbury's wines Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent (Louis Jadot) gets a favourable score from me (but with a caveat that the 2018 needs at least two hours in the decanter).

The 1000 Stories Zinfandel and Chronic Cellars Space Doubt Zinfandel both get a "likeable but not great" comment.

After @Marchbanks' earlier comments about D.V. Catena Malbec from Tesco I tried a bottle to compare with the different D.V. Catena Malbec Catena Zapata from Sainsbury's and I liked the Sainsbury's ("acceptable") rather more than the Tesco.

I have tried their Les Courlandes Châteauneuf-du-Pape and found it too lightweight for my taste. I do have some of their Clos de l'Oratoire des Papes to try out soon.

However, I wonder what others buy from the Sainsbury's range?

I very much doubt that any supermarkets hold deep stocks of Champagne or any other wine, their inventories are very much based on 'just in time delivery' models.

A while back I often saw Bollinger which was out of condition, slightly oxidised, I'm not sure quite why that was, whether it was supply chain issues or QC at Bollinger. They, and several of the other underperforming Grand Marques, have certainly raised their games in recent years, mainly due to the rising challenge from the handful or two of very high quality Recoltant Manipulants who are eating into their well tended and too often undeserved images.

OK, you can stop that endless Brexit thread now - I've found the one good thing, and it is cheaper wine, albeit in smallish quantities.

Here I am with a bottle of JP Brun's Fleurie Grille Midi 2018 and the paperwork I present at the Eurotunnel terminal when leaving France in order to get a VAT refund. I paid 19.95€ per bottle, which after a 15% reduction (the store takes a little cut too) comes to £14.34 at today's exchange rate. Beat that! I also bought Jacky Blot's Bourgueil Haut de la Butte and Mi-pente 2018 (both on a 10% reduction today to boot) for £13.91 and £18.08 respectively. Way-hey! Tomorrow I'm off to Carrefour to repeat the trick with beer, but now I'm off to dinner with a spring in my step.

51619255429_b088358b53_z.jpg

You have got a knack of finding 'em. As a stockist of J-P' s wines of more years than I care to count, I'm obviously fully aware of the ex-cellars trade prices of his wines. Someone here isn't making any money.

Don't be in too much of a rush to drink it.

I very much doubt that any supermarkets hold deep stocks of Champagne or any other wine, their inventories are very much based on 'just in time delivery' models.

A while back I often saw Bollinger which was out of condition, slightly oxidised, I'm not sure quite why that was, whether it was supply chain issues or QC at Bollinger. They, and several of the other underperforming Grand Marques, have certainly raised their games in recent years, mainly due to the rising challenge from the handful or two of very high quality Recoltant Manipulants who are eating into their well tended and too often undeserved images.
Yes, I'm sure the supermarkets don't have deep stock; but I think they sometimes have slow selling not very deep stock which can linger in poor conditions.

I do buy from those Sainsbury's stores where I observe low temperatures on the shelf (some are remarkably warm if you feel a bottle) and a rapid turnover. I suspect my very local Sainsbury's has a rather low turnover of the more expensive wines and I have had a few bottles with peg corks, low levels of fizz and a distinct lack of freshness. So, no more Champagne from them. I have a favourite Sainsbury's where I have to get in early when there's 25% off or the better Champagnes disappear.

You are also right that over the years I have been buying Champagne my impression is that the Grand Marques have definitely not always performed consistently with their NVs. There have been times when I thought M&C, for example, should be highly embarrassed in comparison to Tesco's Finest NV (Union Champagne) at half the price.

I've got a bottle each of Ayala & Billecart-Salmon
which I hope to be taking to my son's.
Someone tell me they're ok.

This is often (but not this time) reduced to £12 and then has 25% off - so under 10 quid for a Gran Reserva.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/pub-food-and-drink/campo-viejo-rioja-gran-reserva-75cl
Thanks - I will try one the next time I am in Sainsbury's. I don't have a great relationship with Rioja and that may need some work. The only supermarket Rioja I rather like is Faustino I (I have bought it from Tesco). The 2008 was good enough and the 2009 was better. I haven't tried it since so maybe another try is in order. I have found Tesco not as good a supermarket source as some others, but the Tesco Finest CdP (Julie Rouffignac) has some charm.

Thanks - I will try one the next time I am in Sainsbury's. I don't have a great relationship with Rioja and that may need some work. The only supermarket Rioja I rather like is Faustino I (I have bought it from Tesco).
The Campo Viejo is not at the same level as the Faustino. It is good value when under £10. However, if Rioja is not your bag I'd advise caution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back