advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree - look at the development at and around Man City. They will do both - improve infrastructure and spend big*. Not on Messi or CR7 though.

*limit is £190m and we need three or four players. Loans will be in play too.
I am talking specifically about Saudis - ostentatious isnt a big enough word and the new owner is, erm let's put it this way, used to getting results quickly.

Last edited:
He's not a favourite with the Bookies but we'll see. I don't think he's experienced enough but would reserve judgement. Saying the fans will hate him as he's from London is just trolling.
Shearer has wisely ruled himself out.
Fonseca has been interviewed but there may be others.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/newcastle/next-permanent-manager
I think Potter could do a job in the medium term.
The owners appear to he taking a sensible approach so I doubt names like Zidane are appropriate. For the moment.

The owners have spoken to Keegan and Shearer...
It’s not trolling, know a fair few people in Newcastle, my son lives there. Not a lot of love for Londoners or ‘cockneys’ as they ate often referred to.

Keegan would be a mistake although I do really like him. I think you will end up with Gerrard or Lampard.

You should wheel in Harry Redknapp for his transfer deadline day expertise - he may even be able to persuade Niko Kranjcar out of retirement.;)

I am talking specifically about Saudis - ostentatious isnt a big enough word and the new owner is, erm let's put it this way, used to getting results quickly.

I suppose what I meant was that showing the new owner the improved toilet block at the training ground or ginger 15 year old who is going to be the new Barry Venisson in ten years time (minus the outrageous suits) is unlikely to pique the big mans interest or satisfy him that his money has been well spent hence I think they will just splash the cash early on established stars/has beens.

The evidence of the City project says you’re wrong! Partner clubs, amazing training facilities, brilliant youth teams, Phil Foden and now Cole Palmer. They’re building to be the Barcelona of English football.
If you’ve spent any time around the CFA, you’ll know this is the plan. Foden & now Cole Palmer are going to be the trigger for more players to be unleashed from the academy over the next few years. Only hope that Pep will want to be around long term to see it through.

I suppose what I meant was that showing the new owner the improved toilet block at the training ground or ginger 15 year old who is going to be the new Barry Venisson in ten years time (minus the outrageous suits) is unlikely to pique the big mans interest or satisfy him that his money has been well spent hence I think they will just splash the cash early on established stars/has beens.
That’ll be great for headlines and get him the attention but the club will need a proper structure behind it all.

Some of the likely changes:

Ground was StJames Park - Now the Saudi Arabian Airlines stadium (known to the Geordies as Mecca)

Badge was a Magpie - Now a Camel

Chant was Howay the Lads - Now El Hal the Lads

All this talk and speculation about NUFC the has got me thinking about their past players so I have come up with my team of favourites:

Starting with Keegan as player/manager so it’s going to be biased towards attack.

Upfront we have Keegan, Jackie Milburn, Shearer, Tinio Aspirilla, Beardlesy and Supermac

At the back, I make no apologies for having gone with two players who didn’t really play fullback but suit the spirit of this team: left back David Ginola for his crossing ability and at right back Rudd Hulit blessed as he was at dribbling.

Central defenders are Filipe Albert and Peacock. I was thinking of Bobby Moncur at centre back but discounted him as his hair didn’t meet the mullet/permed/generally long criteria of the other defenders.

Subs are Barry Venison, Dennis Tudor, Gillespie (tbh I put him in the bench to keep him out of the bookies), Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer (for entertainment at half time).

In nets I have decided to go an half each for Shaka Hislop and Willie Mcfall as I think they might be busy.

Gangbangers ya gotta love em.

All comments/observations welcome.

All this talk and speculation about NUFC the has got me thinking about their past players so I have come up with my team of favourites:

Starting with Keegan as player/manager so it’s going to be biased towards attack.

Upfront we have Keegan, Jackie Milburn, Shearer, Tinio Aspirilla, Beardlesy and Supermac

At the back, I make no apologies for having gone with two players who didn’t really play fullback but suit the spirit of this team: left back David Ginola for his crossing ability and at right back Rudd Hulit blessed as he was at dribbling.

Central defenders are Filipe Albert and Peacock. I was thinking of Bobby Moncur at centre back but discounted him as his hair didn’t meet the mullet/permed/generally long criteria of the other defenders.

Subs are Barry Venison, Dennis Tudor, Gillespie (tbh I put him in the bench to keep him out of the bookies), Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer (for entertainment at half time).

In nets I have decided to go an half each for Shaka Hislop and Willie Mcfall as I think they might be busy.

Gangbangers ya gotta love em.

All comments/observations welcome.

No Joe Harvey or the Robledo brothers?

Gotta have Hughie Gallacher:
The following season, 1926–27, 23-year-old Gallacher was given the captaincy, and his powerful leadership qualities took Newcastle to the League Championship for the first (and last!) time since 1909, although his criticism of some of the less talented players in the team did not go unnoticed. Sunderland were still in contention until they were beaten 1–0 at St James' Park on 19 March before a then record crowd of 67,211. The goalscorer was Gallacher, still widely rated today as Newcastle's finest ever player. He scored 36 league goals in 38 appearances, still the highest number of league goals in one season by a Newcastle player.

Maybe that's the season to aim for 2026-27.

Loathe him or not, Bruce does not deserve the abuse he’s getting.

There are huge social, moral and ecological objections to such abuse, but more important than those objections, as important as they are, we should always remember, always be prepared to shout out loud, that we will forever know who we are. We know who we are. The Champions of Europe. That’s who we are.

Gotta have Hughie Gallacher:
The following season, 1926–27, 23-year-old Gallacher was given the captaincy, and his powerful leadership qualities took Newcastle to the League Championship for the first (and last!) time since 1909, although his criticism of some of the less talented players in the team did not go unnoticed. Sunderland were still in contention until they were beaten 1–0 at St James' Park on 19 March before a then record crowd of 67,211. The goalscorer was Gallacher, still widely rated today as Newcastle's finest ever player. He scored 36 league goals in 38 appearances, still the highest number of league goals in one season by a Newcastle player.

Maybe that's the season to aim for 2026-27.

Fair shout - Gallagher to replace Dennis Tudor - my memory only goes back to 72 and I included Milburm on the basis of conversations I have had with Geordie work colleagues over the years.

I am also going to replace Rudd Hullit with Nobbie Salerno for his superior ability to whip in a decent cross and not too shabby on free-kicks.

Watch this.
Agree with him.
Or I'll send him round.;)
Excellent. His mates in the media will carry on though, along with know-nowt internet trolls.

I made the point today about Arse fans and their hounding out of Wenger to my wife after seeing the whinging from the Arteta bloke about so called abuse of managers.

Anyone know if his statue is going to be moved to nearer the ground now Ashley has gone and is Keegan allowed back in the stadium?

Because of Shearers criticisms, Ashley wouldn't allow the Shearer statue to be sited on club land. It's present position is on land owned and controlled by Newcastle City Council (the old demolished public toilets on Barrack Road, I think). It was the closest position to the ground they could get at the time. I expect it will be moved at some point in the future. I would love to see a Joe Harvey statue at some point too. The Fairs Club funded a lovely brass memorial plaque which is on the Gallowgate Stand wall.

JoeHarveyPlaque.jpg

I would also like to see NINE Bar renamed back to Shearers. Again, Ashley changed that because he couldn't take the flak from Big Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back