advertisement

Last time listen before buy

A and D

In fact most recent was less than 6 months ago. Also in the last 5 years I auditioned one item at the manufacturer's premises (who also retails his own gear).

A D

Almost all D and E for age! Considering the bun fights that go on that is mad. Maybe we do all get more cantankerous with age :p

C
D

Although I have had dealer demonstrations and 30 day sale or return demos in my house which would put me in A and D.

.sjb

Here's my question (OK -two questions):
1.) when was the last time you listened to something in a Brick n Mortar shop prior to purchase -even if you bought it from someone/somehow else -you listened before buying ?
a.) within the last 5 years
b.)within the last 10 years
c.) within the last 20 years
d.) within the last 30 years
e.) never ever
You are :
a.) less than 20 years old
b.) 20-30 years old
c.)30 - 40 years old
d.) 40 -60 years old
e.) above 60 years old
Got a bottle of Irish riding on the answers ?
A, earlier this year, quite an expensive purchase and definitely only available new from a bricks and mortar dealer.

C, It’s my 38th birthday this Saturday.

I generally think it’s a good idea to hear kit before you buy if possible, I’ve dropped a brick a few times buying blind.

If any member wants to hear anything I’ve got, get in touch… I suggest any member comfortable with the idea offers the same thing… covid risks taken into account of course.

C,D

Have bought from a bricks and mortar shop in the last few years, but I don't bother with a shop demo now as only way to test in your own system and house.

Tend to buy used and sell on if it doesn't work out, or just hoard haha

My serious hifi kit has almost all been bought second hand, so I have only ever listened to the gear in someone's house.

My last shop demo was within the last 5 years but was for a 2nd hand item (a Krell integrated which I then bought) but I'm quite fortunate in that the shop is walking distance from my office. I've bought quite a few bits of new and 2nd hand kit from them in the last few years.

My last shop demo was within the last 5 years but was for a 2nd hand item (a Krell integrated which I then bought) but I'm quite fortunate in that the shop is walking distance from my office. I've bought quite a few bits of new and 2nd hand kit from them in the last few years.

This may be part of the reason I haven't bought from shops, I have one local hifi shop who never seemed to stock the brands I was interested in, and sevenoaks ditto (now long gone). However, if you buy second hand from the likes of here where people have almost always cared hugely for their kit, bang for buck, it was always hard for me to consider seriously buying new.... If I was much much richer, I definitely would.

Always buy from my local dealer but only after a home demo.

How local is local? And what do (would) you do if they don't stock what your interested in?

I just checked, nearest dealer for the products I'm interested in are either 168 miles, 193 miles or 213 miles, all three require a return ferry trip, one stocks the amps , the other the speakers, now what's the odds on getting a home demo?

How local is local? And what do (would) you do if they don't stock what your interested in?
Same city as me, I’ve never tried brands they don’t stock. You can get paralysed by choice & I only buy established brands with a track record of reliability.

Same city as me, I’ve never tried brands they don’t stock. You can get paralysed by choice & I only buy established brands with a track record of reliability.

I could buy the CD player I'd like at a dealers about 25 miles away, he doesn't stock them or have a demo model but would order one for me, as for cartridges, pretty much no chance of a demonstration at all anywhere AFAIK.
So my options are either buy pre-owned, heavily discounted or take a massive chance and chance losing quite a bit if I don't like the item.

I could buy the CD player I'd like at a dealers about 25 miles away, he doesn't stock them or have a demo model but would order one for me, as for cartridges, pretty much no chance of a demonstration at all anywhere AFAIK.
Have never demoed a cartridge, always just gone by reputation, my dealer only stocks project but used to have Linn & Rega but I am not in market for a TT.

Have never demoed a cartridge, always just gone by reputation, my dealer only stocks project but used to have Linn & Rega but I am not in market for a TT.

Yeah, same here, whether Benz, Lyra or more recently Hana, all good IMO but the cartridge is only a small percentage compared to the price of amps or speakers.

advertisement

Back