advertisement

Trousers - a middle-aged f**t complaint

I got hold of a pair of black lined ski-pants which were left in a bag I borrowed from someone or other. They are great, I wear them all through the winter much to my wife’s disgust. The fit is very much a secondary consideration compared to the thermal benefits.

As someone who lived in Liverpool for much of the ‘80s or ‘90s you won’t see me dead in anything to do with a tracksuit! It was the uniform for dickheads, scallies etc and I’ve never gone near that look. I have a pair of tracksuit bottoms that I wore when I had a gym membership a few years ago, even a pair of Nike trainers to go with them, but that is as far as I’ve ever gone in that direction. They are an exercise tool, nothing more.

anyone looking for ultimately comfortable clothing knows better.

In these days of the expanding man, the Meyers are good, especially with elasticated waists :)

I think the waist sizes on jeans are just nominal. I have to buy 38 at Gap, but 36 at Crew. I would kill to be able to get into 34s like I did 30 years ago. It's also the inside leg that annoys me. I am 30", and for some reason, you can only buy 29, 31 or 33
Tesco and Sainsbury's do jeans bearing a 30" inside leg label.

For me the M&S 29L is just about OK - provided I let the waistband slip a little from its natural position. The M&S 32W "slim fit" jeans fit me like the proverbial glove for those occasions where that's what I want, but I prefer their 32W "tapered fit" (less commonly stocked) for more relaxed situations.

However for "nothing special" jeans, these days I find Tesco 32W x 30L "slim fit" close to ideal because they are not as closely fitting as the M&S equivalent, and I prefer the Tesco material over the similarly fitting Sainsbury's equivalent.

I'm wearing the same size trousers (32/32) as when I left school, I'm half a stone lighter (13) most likely down to work and not playing rugby but really could do with losing another half. I'm just under 6ft.
For work I prefer overalls or bib & braces, generally over shorts in summer, ordinary trousers the rest of the year (like school or farmer trousers as the young lads call them) and add longjohns in the winter.
If I'm in the house I wear shorts or jogging / tracksuit bottoms (I wouldn't wear them in public) .
On the bike I wear jeans, good quality selvedge denim, Gap1969 are good for the money but I'll only buy Hebtro now (made in England). I did in the past wear alot of x-army trousers. I'll wear long John's in the cooler weather and waterproofs over the top in the wet weather.
I do have a three piece suit but I've only been to one wedding and one funeral in the past ten years so I don't really need much in the way of formal wear.
I just try to dress comfortably, sensibly and appropriately for the occasion, purpose, temperature and weather. I'd recommend anyone with no arse and a bigger belly trys suspenders or braces.

As someone who lived in Liverpool for much of the ‘80s or ‘90s you won’t see me dead in anything to do with a tracksuit! It was the uniform for dickheads, scallies etc and I’ve never gone near that look. I have a pair of tracksuit bottoms that I wore when I had a gym membership a few years ago, even a pair of Nike trainers to go with them, but that is as far as I’ve ever gone in that direction. They are an exercise tool, nothing more.

Bollocks :D

They're all I wear as they're the only comfy things that fit me... And seeing as I spend most of my time training & lifting big stones; they're a second skin to me

Jeans are reserved for more 'formal' outings (ie meals out, beer o'clock meets etc) and that's it...

Your statement whitewashes all that wear joggers... So as said; bollocks!

Bollocks :D

They're all I wear as they're the only comfy things that fit me... And seeing as I spend most of my time training & lifting big stones; they're a second skin to me

Jeans are reserved for more 'formal' outings (ie meals out, beer o'clock meets etc) and that's it...

Your statement whitewashes all that wear joggers... So as said; bollocks!

couldn't have put it better myself.

Wow, the tracksuited chavs, scallies and smackheads are defensive today! ;-)
I remember the last time this came up. Similar responses. I can see that if your body type is unusual, they might be the only thing that's comfortable, but they're definitely not for me, and I don't think they do the wearer any favours in the style stakes.

I remember the last time this came up. Similar responses.

I am obviously taking the pee here, but it is routed in a past of being a new-wave/indie kid with goth mates etc. A lot of Scousers in tracksuits really were arseholes. Violent arseholes too. Living in That London did dilute my views a little as southerners seem more able to wear the things without the negative connotations.

PS I’d also argue it was even harder for people over a certain age to look good in a tracksuit than it is in jeans.

Jeans all the time now it's winter, they vary so much and what fit's in one shop one year won't fit next year.

There's some progression from best drawer to work but anything under a tenner is usually work.

I've got one pair of Levis with a 36" waist which i cherish and was relieved yesterday when a 40" waist cheapo pair had to be set aside for the next boil wash.

Usually come in from work sweaty and / or muddy so jump into the bath and wear pyjamas until bedtime. 6 pairs at last count.

Apart from that funeral suit bought in Manila years ago, morning suit from ebay, DJ eaten by moths and MTM green and gold striped suit from my tailor in Mumbai.

Perhaps the only solution is to have bespoke trousers tailor made. Has anyone tried this?

A long time ago, around the time Mick P fell in a pond or lake (best thread ever), I’m sure he mentioned having some boot cut denim jeans tailor-made. Possibly not Mick...

E9z3LoOXsAsRpf2

Being a perfectly average size, all kinds of trousers almost always fit me just fine. The only thing I’m never sure of is how much selvedge jeans will grow or shrink if washed or not, or sanforised or not, and all that snazzzz.

I am obviously taking the pee here, but it is routed in a past of being an indie kid with goth mates etc. A lot of Scousers in tracksuits really were arseholes. Violent arseholes too. Living in That London did dilute my views a little as southerners seem more able to wear the things without the negative connotations.

PS I’d also argue it was even harder for people over a certain age to look good in a tracksuit than it is in jeans.
That's not the only negative association, either:
ytKIZtIIJU_edyNig4kxrnkdM8YNb4TxjXX2dsU3Y4HYguMYJKtSTbzhdvGMzGRLdudG5AP8W1-Bbdsi3o-79I5OffuRhmy0M9uVm0t5A33gdr7hVOsJuM2qzF-2G-SJu3vIuO4pv8LS5X8Ne4EVgv6iV_MeaT3joehWSA4wHRxGGT7uO8Bl3KAFAzj_rnD1WAY

I remember the last time this came up. Similar responses. I can see that if your body type is unusual, they might be the only thing that's comfortable, but they're definitely not for me, and I don't think they do the wearer any favours in the style stakes.

In my case they're not worn for 'style' they're worn because they're what fit me...

With 32" thighs, an arse the size of the Moon and being 6ft 4, trying to find 'normal' clothes to fit is nigh on impossible at the best of times.

I'm not interested in style, or fashion bragging rights; I'm interested in being clothed & comfy

More so as I work form home and have the 'give no shits about what people think of me if they see me' helps too :D

But I'm not in agreement of being stereotyped ;)

advertisement

Back