advertisement

Trouble with Nord

Just buy an ordinary amp
My Nap 135 monos were from mid 80's
Serviced once or twice, still as good as the day they left the factory.

yes plenty of choice . i love these baby class d amps because they are light , cost effective and sound pretty damm good with the tannoy eatons legacy. they just boogie !! the synergy between the ss pre and the asx50 is great

that said , we had a mighty big thrax valve integrated here and that just walked all over the class d . utterly stunning performance that really makes them sing . best amp yet . however its BIG and HEAVY !!

P1050259 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1050251 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1050277 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

I have no personal experience with Nord.
I have had two Hypex PSU boards (SMPS1200 I think) fail on me though.
One was in the subwoofer section of Grimm LS1s active monitors. The other was in a DIY 10 channel amp for Linkwitz LX521.
On both occasions Grimm / Hypex (same people I think) sent out replacements FOC.

I have also owned Bel Canto ref1000 monos and Gato 250. Not sure if these have Hypex innards, but they gave me no trouble.

That Thrax looks more what I'm used to. That's why I am reticent going down the class d route without auditioning and finding it isn't as good as what I have.

The only reference is the teeny tiny NAD which has been sounding fantastic apart from yesterday when Bowie's Blackstar and Beethoven and Schubert on 24/96 gave it a bit of a hard time. It sounded a bit ragged and limited top end.

if you look in that top pic i posted you will see an msb amp , they are 32k now !!! crazy money . class D can be very good with some speakers , its too much of a good thing with my horns but man its brilliant with tannoys !!!

The little ones are Ghent audio asx50 , had them for several years now .partially as can't afford anything better and I like monoblocks and they just sound superb to me

The middle one is Stefans hypex amp, he is UK distributor of hypex I think ?? Nicely made amp which I think you had after me nutty

Yes nord do icepower but not monoblocks last time I looked

The little ones are Ghent audio asx50 , had them for several years now .partially as can't afford anything better and I like monoblocks and they just sound superb to me

The middle one is Stefans hypex amp, he is UK distributor of hypex I think ?? Nicely made amp which I think you had after me nutty

Yes nord do icepower but not monoblocks last time I looked

Thanks. The only decent D amp module I’ve had access to is this:post image
Very detailed but a too brightly lit treble in my system. But it has peaked my interest enough to start collecting info on D-amps. My Avondale 260z needs some attention but once that’s sorted I may trial the hypex you mentioned.

ah i thought you had had one of stefans amps . yes they can be too brightly lit in some systems . but in others they can be magic. worth trying

This thread started some while back .have hypex modified their units so these psu do not fail so much ? Anyone advise ?

Recently plugged in my repaired Nord amp during the hot weather to avoid using valves and……………. It didn’t work, dead again.

Absolute waste of money ☹️

Recently plugged in my repaired Nord amp during the hot weather to avoid using valves and……………. It didn’t work, dead again.

Absolute waste of money ☹️

I wonder if this is a Nord rather than Hypex issue?

Hypex themselves have a 2 year warranty on the SMPS’ WITH a flexible attitude towards repairs out of warranty unless tampered with or otherwise abused.
The NC500 modules themselves only carry a 1 year warranty, understandable as a custom buffer needs to be implemented by the manufacturer. Do Nord use the Hypex voltage regulators?
The very same SMPS1200/700 SMPS used by Nord are currently being used in most Purifi builds and they don’t seem to be having issues, much as most Hypex builds seem stable.

Other outfits offer 3-5 year warranties, some transferable so they obviously have more faith in their product than Nord.

Hypex - ICE... MacDonalds of Hifi?

A one fits all solution now implemented by brands that can't be arsked to implement 'proper' amplification and at the same time increase profit ... or a godsend for audiophile headbangers that need a lot of juice for comparatively smaller outlay?

My own experience with products using the above have been somewhat negative but at the same time my exposure to it has been limited to two active speakers.

Have you spoken to Colin the owner?
Mac
I haven’t bothered, he was not forthcoming last time until I sent him this link. He ignored me when the expensive buffer boards failed and went distorted.

I’m afraid it’s just a £1000 piece of junk

One size fits all in so much as it's a source agnostic, very low distortion, high power, high efficiency, load invariant amp available in a number of psu, input buffer and output board power configurations.

If you want flavour it's available via buffer swaps, if you want best measured performance it's available as is.

So nothing like McDonald's which is shit food of almost zero nutritional value.

advertisement

Back