advertisement

Laura Kuenssberg stepping down as BBC Political Editor

She’s not gone though, her absurdly partisan “reporting” will no doubt have a detrimental impact on the Today program, though that is obviously a far smaller audience. I hope someone politically neutral with sufficient integrity to speak truth to power gets the Political Editor role. I’ve actually long given up on the BBC news aside from Newsnight thanks to the obvious pro-Tory bias. I mainly watch Sky now, which much to my astonishment is far more neutral and is certainly far better at allowing events to speak for themselves (e.g. they will often run key parliamentary debates live with minimal interruption). I’d happily return to the Beeb if it returns to the key principles of its charter.

It was a great relief when Norman Marcel Marceau Smith went. What’s not clear is what’s going on behind the scenes- surely this is a demotion for Keunssberg? Sopel is a lightweight and maybe a nice compliant one, hence his name being in the frame to replace her?

How did the BBC in 2015 manage to employ the only Tory in Scotland to its key political position, probably the same managers who spunk away millions to Bland Bruce and Dozey Ball.

Sopel is a long time former Pol-Cor so might be a good bet. Sarah Smith might fancy it...not sure if she has settled down "up there" yet. She would be excellent and is no tory (obviously).

I just want someone who doesn't act as an obvious mouthpiece for the sack of shit we call a government.

The Today program is already pretty Tory, I barely listen these days. Can’t really blame her for moving on, shouldn’t really need the close protection teams or suffer the online abuse just for doing her job.

advertisement

Back