advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Shearer do it for the right price?

He’s got his coaching badges and he’s a fans favourite. I know he had a go before but it was end of season, they were nearly down anyway and it was when Ashley was in charge.

Anyone know if his statue is going to be moved to nearer the ground now Ashley has gone and is Keegan allowed back in the stadium?

Would Shearer do it for the right price?

He’s got his coaching badges and he’s a fans favourite. I know he had a go before but it was end of season, they were nearly down anyway and it was when Ashley was in charge.

Anyone know if his statue is going to be moved to nearer the ground now Ashley has gone and is Keegan allowed back in the stadium?

If you want success you want someone like Graham Potter. Someone who can build it. The last thing you want is an Ole…

If you want success you want someone like Graham Potter. Someone who can build it. The last thing you want is an Ole…

Yes Potter would be a pragmatic choice however he comes with no cache and unlikely to meet the criteria of the owners of the richest club in the world. Zidane ?

Frank Lampard will be the next Newcastle manager & the fans will hate him as he’s from London.
He's not a favourite with the Bookies but we'll see. I don't think he's experienced enough but would reserve judgement. Saying the fans will hate him as he's from London is just trolling.
Shearer has wisely ruled himself out.
Fonseca has been interviewed but there may be others.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/newcastle/next-permanent-manager
I think Potter could do a job in the medium term.
The owners appear to he taking a sensible approach so I doubt names like Zidane are appropriate. For the moment.

The owners have spoken to Keegan and Shearer...

dammed with faint praise and file next to Mike Harding's you don't sweat much for a fat lass..finishing sixth in five years time is not what the new owners aspire to..
You could put it like that but he'd be a huge improvement on SB. This appointment is not about five years time....medium term is three years(ish)!

Whoever takes the job will be keeping the seat warm for the return of Mourinho.
Realistically it's his only route back to the Premier League to manage a club with loadsamoney.

How about dual coaches - you know the idea where the team reaps the benefits of two different approaches and personalities- Gazza and Steve Watson for example.

Yes Potter would be a pragmatic choice however he comes with no cache and unlikely to meet the criteria of the owners of the richest club in the world. Zidane ?

You won’t get the managers currently at the top of the tree, that’s down the road. We started with Mancini after Erickson and Hughes. Then they put the back room into place and brought in Pellegrini as a safe pair of hands. It’s not just about the manager, it’s the whole set-up.
If you haven’t read them the two books about Pep at Bayern give a fabulous insight into building a clubs and a team. Now think where you are compared to City, Liverpool, Chelsea.
At the moment they’re the only three real contenders for the league. Then you’ve got the next tier, United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Everton, Leicester, West Ham etc, the teams either punching above their weight or in a rebuilding state. If you’re not careful you’ll be like we were with Hughes, good players, but no plan, a team full of mercenaries, there for the money. This is United’s problem at the moment. To compete with the best teams you need to be able to offer them the biggest stage. So until you achieve Champions League football, consistently you won’t attract the best players. Would Haaland even consider Newcastle no matter how much money you throw at him?

Dammed with faint praise and file next to Mike Harding's you don't sweat much for a fat lass....finishing sixth in five years time is not what the new owners aspire to.

Breaking into the top six is harder than ever. You may find it takes longer than that to get there. Potter or someone like Arteta who knows how to build a structure is what you need. We’ll see how it goes, but if moaning Maureen ever turns up we’ll know you’re just a Northern Spurs!

Just to clear up the Joelinton signing. As I remember it the NUFC board were interested in him (for whatever reason) towards the end of Rafa's reign. It was reported that Rafa didn't rate Joelinton and saw it as too much of a risk. Rafa left and the board decided to spend the King's ransome they got for Ayoze Perez on Joelinton anyway. This happened BEFORE Bruce joined the club, though Bruce got the job of unveiling the player on his arrivaL One of the reasons Rafa left was this board interference in signings - he wanted control of this. On reflection they should have kept Perez!
For me this sums up the dreadful and shambolic governance at the club during Ashley's ownership. Better days ahead thankfully, though I agree it will take time and patience.

Yes, I am from the Boro but have lived away for over thirty years which means I don't share the usual footballing antipathies of the north east but that doesn't stop me from having some amusement at the Geordies expense.

Keegan was my boyhood hero and the best English footballer of my lifetime by country mile.

I have also spent about five years in the Middle East so know the Arab mentality to ownership and appearance/prestige which is why I know that they will take no interest in infrastructure/youth team stuff and it will be straight to the check book in January- will Ronaldo or Messi be available by then?

I have also spent about five years in the Middle East so know the Arab mentality to ownership and appearance/prestige which is why I know that they will take no interest in infrastructure/youth team stuff and it will be straight to the check book in January- will Ronaldo or Messi be available by then?
I disagree - look at the development at and around Man City. They will do both - improve infrastructure and spend big*. Not on Messi or CR7 though.

*limit is £190m and we need three or four players. Loans will be in play too.

The evidence of the City project says you’re wrong! Partner clubs, amazing training facilities, brilliant youth teams, Phil Foden and now Cole Palmer. They’re building to be the Barcelona of English football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back