advertisement

Naim pre amp proposed change help

ian1948

Hi everyone. I’ve used this group in the past for advice and been very happy with it and purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 streamer. This along with my Naim CDX are the inputs to my system that is a NAC102 pre powered by an Avondale APX2 into a NAP140 into Credos. Now thinking of changing my pre with a limited budget. My initial choices are:

1. Buy a second hand NAC72 and change the boards to Avondale 821AR’s.

2. Buy a second hand NAC82 - will the APX2 be ok with this.

Both cost about the same. Any comments, advice, experience will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

72 has the option of swapping boards to your liking, many rave about RSL.
Other option if you like Les work is ask him to look at the 102 he has tweaked 102 in the past to great effect.
Or teddy pardo do dual teddy cap upgrade on the 102 that seems to be very well regarded

Option 1 for me : easier, simple, nice looking little box and more easily "tweak able" IMO.
Sound wise, it’s hard to beat as well.

I owned and enjoyed a 72 for many years. I have not heard one with "tweaked" boards, so have no opinion on that.

However I found the stock 72 veiled and rolled off. The 82 was much better, in my system. I owned two different vintages of 250s and ultimately went with 135s. That was a nice system.

The 72 looks really cool and has a certain charm. No denying that. There's a reason that the 82 cost more and retained it's value well on the second-hand market. It sounds better (again, that's just my opinion, not a fact) and is a very capable preamp.

It's the 72 option for me too
I've had 82 / 72 / 252 etc

A modded 72 is the nicest (and possibly cheapest!!!) Option

See this thread on how to make it a 252 beater...never mind an 82 beater

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/help-with-nac72-regs-wiring-please.258625/

Don't forget you can make one change at a time...hear each improvement....and learn loads on the way!
Far more satisfying than just throwing money at an expensive box to start with

The 72 is infinitely upgradeable. Pulling any unused tape or phono cards will give an instant uplift. Any mods can be easily reverted to factory spec. It's why I just bought one. You can even go further and lose the 4 pin socket for another 5 pin or even a Witch Hat Superlink conversion that'll turn it into a near 52 like experience.

Hi everyone. I’ve used this group in the past for advice and been very happy with it and purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 streamer. This along with my Naim CDX are the inputs to my system that is a NAC102 pre powered by an Avondale APX2 into a NAP140 into Credos. Now thinking of changing my pre with a limited budget. My initial choices are:

1. Buy a second hand NAC72 and change the boards to Avondale 821AR’s.

2. Buy a second hand NAC82 - will the APX2 be ok with this.

Both cost about the same. Any comments, advice, experience will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just use the Nac 72 as is ?

Not sure these so called "cards upgrade" do more than "change"

get it serviced if needed, great value preamp.

They do more than just "change" because they use much higher and tighter spec components , often in an improved and better earthed design....it's that simple

Naim are not in the business of making just one preamp...that being the best they can make
They ARE in the business of making a range of amps that you can hear a definite improvement as you move towards their most expensive version
It's relatively easy to improve a "lower" range amp to beat a "higher" spec one..by implementing some simple changes...all this has been open knowledge for years and many companies and individuals have made a living offering these changes

This site along with others is full of useful information on this very subject

Reactions: MJS
It's the 72 option for me too
I've had 82 / 72 / 252 etc

A modded 72 is the nicest (and possibly cheapest!!!) Option

See this thread on how to make it a 252 beater...never mind an 82 beater

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/help-with-nac72-regs-wiring-please.258625/

Don't forget you can make one change at a time...hear each improvement....and learn loads on the way!
Far more satisfying than just throwing money at an expensive box to start with
Yep ! Get a 72 and buy more music with the remaining cash ! :cool:

I have never heard a 72 but the upgrade from a 102 to an 82 was a significant improvement. Adding a Supercap was a Wow! moment.

82 would be my choice, add a Supercap eventually and then have WitchHat do their Superlink upgrade... you'll almost be at 52 territory.

the 102 has a remote as well and the cost of an 82 the 102 could have the full NJ treatment or the Avondale once over where some reckon the stripped down nature of the 102 can make it better than it should, shame Naim knobbled it from the very start.

but yes 72 has so many options if you can get one a decent price grab it or a 32.5

I had a 72 with the RSL boards, including the remote and powered by a Hicap with Avondale TPR4 regulators. Sounded pretty special. Don't know why I sold it really.

advertisement

Back