advertisement

What DAC are you using to connect your Smart TV to your hi-fi amplifier ?

Alun Rains

Jus Juan Cornetto
Hi Guys
Just wondering if you are using a DAC to connect your Smart TV to your stereo hi-if amplifier and if so, which one. Looking for good recommendations that don’t cost the earth.
I am currently using a CYP-AU-D3-192 DAC from Richer Sounds that works OK but I do find it can seem to become overwhelmed at times and the volume can fluctuate momentarily.
I am not interested in sound-bars or surround sound systems..
Look forward to your replies

Optical connector from from TV (Samsung) to my Pro-Ject pre S2 digital. Works great. Same Dac has USB feed from my Mac Mini ( for Roon/local music/Qobuz). Also has digi coax from my Marantz Universal player- but tbh that is connected via Phono to the Amp and the digi coax largely unused.

In the past I’ve used the little Fiio/Maplin uber cheap £20 ones and then a Dacmagic 100, still have the Dacmagic but it’s been moved to the SONOS rig, got it for a good price off eBay last year and can recommend it. A Topping E30 would do the job also.

Another DacMagic user here, although we used to use one of the little FiiO ones. That worked fine as well - only changed it when I changed the system and it had the DacMagic available anyway.

I recently used a Rega DAC-r via optical. Maybe a bit too dynamic in a terraced house with close neighbours. Loud enough to pick up the dialog was a bit too much when things blew up, as they so often do in SciFi and crime dramas these days.

yeti,

not sure if you are using streaming services, but some of them offer a "normalize" option in their settings that reduces dynamics exactly for this reason. Maybe some TVs also offer that option in their firmware, might be worth it having a look.

Best,
Oliver

advertisement

Back