advertisement

Trousers - a middle-aged f**t complaint

Schnitger

pfm Member
Do any other fishies have similar difficulties to mine when buying trousers? I seem always to find that new trousers are either too voluminous or far too tight. The dreaded 'slim fit' style is ubiquitous and so uncomfortable as to make it feel as if I'm being throttled to death (short drop, narrow leg etc), while the few classic (vintage?) style trousers that are available go to the other extreme. This even applies in the classic outfitters you'd expect to cater for an older customer.

Perhaps the only solution is to have bespoke trousers tailor made. Has anyone tried this? I've no idea of prices, though I'd imagine a minimum cost will be several hundred pounds.

Good Evening All,

Why do they make/ sell trousers in 32/ 34/ 36" etc. waists??? Why can't they make them to odd no's as well???

Regards

Richard

Do any other fishies have similar difficulties to mine when buying trousers? I seem always to find that new trousers are either too voluminous or far too tight. The dreaded 'slim fit' style is ubiquitous and so uncomfortable as to make it feel as if I'm being throttled to death (short drop, narrow leg etc), while the few classic (vintage?) style trousers that are available go to the other extreme. This even applies in the classic outfitters you'd expect to cater for an older customer.

Perhaps the only solution is to have bespoke trousers tailor made. Has anyone tried this? I've no idea of prices, though I'd imagine a minimum cost will be several hundred pounds.
Nothing like hundreds of pounds for tailor made. £100, maybe. They start with the basic size and shape then just adjust to fit.

I haven't bought new trousers since I retired fifteen years ago, but the last pair of jeans I bought in M&S were a very weird shape, like riding britches, so I took them back. I bought some Wranglers which were more expensive but fitted well, so I guess you get what you pay for. When I was working I used to have my suites made. Yes of course they were more expensive than off the peg, but not hugely so, and they fitted properly, and you could have decent cloth and extra reinforced internal pockets for your phones and guns etc, if you needed them.

I’ve come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that Ill-fitting kecks have less to do with changes in fashion or tailoring and more to do with the fact that with advancing years my buttocks move ever closer to the back of my knees than my hips.

Gap do different fits & 1cm increments. Nudie do a range of chino type trousers in different fits, alternatively Edwin do a relaxed tapered fit which seem to suit most body shapes. As ever, you get what you pay for.

I’m currently a bit overweight but I can thankfully still get into a 32 waist pair of jeans. My problem, at least with cheap supermarket stuff, is there are very seldom any long enough (34)! The local Asda is usually full of remarkably wide and short jeans! I should really buy some decent stuff at some point, but I just have no interest in clothes beyond stuff fitting, being comfortable and easy to wash. I hate clothes shopping, it stresses the crap out of me as I don’t understand it! If a pair of jeans is black and 32/34 they’ll do. It’s been my buying criteria since about 1980. I got too fat a decade or so ago. I’ve largely reversed that now, but it really is an ongoing battle.

Landsend do chinos and jeans with ‘comfort’ waists - hidden elastic that gives an extra inch or so on the waist.

Perhaps the only solution is to have bespoke trousers tailor made.
Or buy a cheap sewing machine on Gumtree, buy some cheapo togs on eBay and learn how to do it yourself. This is a waistcoat, obviously, but the principle is the same - turn it inside out, pin it, check it, sew it. Then trim the excess if you want. All it takes is practice.

51440595689_5c66d53553.jpg

I thought from the thread title that the OP must have been searching for trousers cut with an allowance for flatulence.

I haven't bought new trousers since I retired fifteen years ago, but the last pair of jeans I bought in M&S were a very weird shape, like riding britches, so I took them back. I bought some Wranglers which were more expensive but fitted well, so I guess you get what you pay for. When I was working I used to have my suites made. Yes of course they were more expensive than off the peg, but not hugely so, and they fitted properly, and you could have decent cloth and extra reinforced internal pockets for your phones and guns etc, if you needed them.

Were your bespoke suites 2 or 3 piece, and did they include recliners and a pull out sofa bed?

Sorry, I know...

I’m currently a bit overweight but I can thankfully still get into a 32 waist pair of jeans. My problem, at least with cheap supermarket stuff, is there are very seldom any long enough (34)! The local Asda is usually full of remarkably wide and short jeans! I should really buy some decent stuff at some point, but I just have no interest in clothes beyond stuff fitting, being comfortable and easy to wash. I hate clothes shopping, it stresses the crap out of me as I don’t understand it! If a pair of jeans is black and 32/34 they’ll do. It’s been my buying criteria since about 1980. I got too fat a decade or so ago. I’ve largely reversed that now, but it really is an ongoing battle.

Jeeze, if that's 'fat', then I'm (36) a woolly mammoth.

Jeeze, if that's 'fat', then I'm (36) a woolly mammoth.

I got up to 36” about a decade ago. That was bad for me and I ended up with a type II diabetes diagnosis. I’m sure I’m meant to be skinny, some people just are, I’ve never been muscular at all, but ageing, slowing metabolism, lack of exercise etc resulted in putting on weight and becoming ill. It used to be so easy to be thin as a kid/teen/20s. I could eat anything I wanted and nothing ever stuck. Just not the case now, it’s a real fight as I either need to starve myself or cycle a lot. The latter is awkward for much of the year as the weather here is so crap!

advertisement

Back