advertisement

Possible new Rega cartridge range

What is wrong with robot machinery? Does the job and never gives any lip.

Nothing wrong and not my point really.

I was arguing Rega could provide higher profit by making MC's, while buying in OEM MM's (Audio Technica ?) at lower cost vs making Bias/Elys themself
(which was hand made/time consuming in manufacture - please correct me if I'm wrong).

Nothing wrong and not my point really.

I was arguing Rega could provide higher profit by making MC's, while buying in OEM MM's (Audio Technica ?) at lower cost vs making Bias/Elys themself
(which was hand made/time consuming in manufacture - please correct me if I'm wrong).
As recently reported by Danish hi-fi nerd, @kristoffer, Roy Gandy has let slip that Rega are 'working on' new MM cartridges.

I seriously doubt that this process will have anything to do with ordering OEM branded audio-technica MMs.*

* That is, other than the possibility that 'Carbon' will likely need printing on something else now that AT3600L is gone.

Last edited:
As recently reported by Danish hi-fi nerd, @kristoffer recently, Roy Gandy has let slip that Rega are 'working on' new MM cartridges.

I seriously doubt that this process will have anything to do with ordering OEM branded audio-technica MMs.*

* That is, other than the possibility that 'Carbon' will likely need printing on something else now that AT3600L is gone.

I noticed that Craig,

My guess this involve working and improvements to existing Audio Technica's to finally keep cost down.
They need to come up with something cheaper than current Exact unless they invent something unique.

Time will tell.

I noticed that Craig,

My guess this involve working and improvements to existing Audio Technica's to finally keep cost down.
They need to come up with something cheaper than current Exact unless they invent something unique.

Time will tell.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did come up with something unique, the Rega TT's are quite 'unique' in their design IMO.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did come up with something unique, the Rega TT's are quite 'unique' in their design IMO.

They worked long to get their MC's right

The original Ania and Apheta was never my cup, while Exact and Ania Pro are quite good but with competition into their respective price-range.

IMO Bias or Elys was never a succes really,
Many average users were kind of disappointed when they found new replacement stylus was not possible.

I've never heard any of their MC's, I would like too and would certainly consider buying one in the future, I did really like the Exact on the RP3/TTpsu.

They worked long to get their MC's right

The original Ania and Apheta was never my cup, while Exact and Ania Pro are quite good but with competition into their respective price-range.

IMO Bias or Elys was never a succes really,
Many average users were kind of disappointed when they found new replacement stylus was not possible.
I don't see the logic in expressing an opinion that either Bias or Elys were never a success for the company. I suspect that Rega will have sold more Bias than Elys, and more Elys than Exact.

According to Rega's product timeline, Bias and Elys were each introduced in April 1987. As such, even with the former being unceremoniously dropped from the line with Rega's major website update of Nov 2020, they remain in such company as audio-technica AT-95E and Ortofon OM series as being among the longest running continuous production MM cartridges.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Rega come up with here, especially so, after their groundbreaking MC cartridge development which incorporates the magnet into both the mechanical suspension* and electrical circuit.

* In lieu of a potentially unreliable cantilever tie wire, which Bias/Elys/Exact have omitted since the beginning.

Rega have stopped supplying cartridges to dealers to be sold individually at the moment I've heard, except the ones to be fitted to turntables as a package, apparently shortage of materials due to current issues with brexit and covid. So when dealers sell out that's it for a while. Also there is a world wide shortage of Boron so other carts will become harder to find

I don't see the logic in expressing an opinion that either Bias or Elys were never a success for the company. I suspect that Rega will have sold more Bias than Elys, and more Elys than Exact.

I suspect that very few people not already running Rega turntables have bought them and most users either acquire them with a turntable or replace/upgrade an existing Rega cartridge. Right now I'm using an Exact on an LP12, how many times have you heard of that? Or a Rega cartridge being used on any non-Rega turntable? A bit like Linn tonearms which became almost irrelevant after Rega launched the RB arms. Only Linn users bought them, usually already on a turntable.

while Exact and Ania Pro are quite good but with competition into their respective price-range.

Have to compared the Exact and Ania Pro side by side? I want to improve on the Exact while keeping the warmth and body I like so much. From what I've read the Ania Pro might be like a bigger Exact but I'd like to be a bit more confident before spending the money.

Well their dealer is remiss for not enlightening them! Rega operate a trade-in/exchange scheme which offers superb value for money and if anything works out cheaper than buying a replacement stylus for a conventional cartridge.

Guess the cheap mass produced Audio Technica are solely made by a robot machinery, but I'm not a technician, others may help clarify.
I'd like to see the machine that can tease out 4 x 0.1mm coil wires and solder then onto the cartridge pins, let alone keeping both channels and phase the right way round.

Rega have stopped supplying cartridges to dealers to be sold individually at the moment I've heard, except the ones to be fitted to turntables as a package, apparently shortage of materials due to current issues with brexit and covid. So when dealers sell out that's it for a while. Also there is a world wide shortage of Boron so other carts will become harder to find
Not entirely true, Bias is discontinued, Elys production will recommense when we have a supply of cantilevers, we have temporarily stopped retail sales of the carbon as we are using all we currently have on turntables, it is envisaged this will return to normal shortly. Exact, Ania, Ania Pro, Apheta and Aphelion are freely available.

Well their dealer is remiss for not enlightening them! Rega operate a trade-in/exchange scheme which offers superb value for money and if anything works out cheaper than buying a replacement stylus for a conventional cartridge.

Not WW

I'd like to see the machine that can tease out 4 x 0.1mm coil wires and solder then onto the cartridge pins, let alone keeping both channels and phase the right way round.

Thanks, how can they sell AT3600L (or whichever their cheapest) at those prices ?
Can't be much left for profit.

advertisement

Back