advertisement

What price modern turntable to compare with a Linn Axis?

I wouldn't put an Ittok on an Axis. Apart from the whole hierarchy thing I don't think they'd be a good sonic match. Guessing of course but the Axis and Basik were not like the LP12. They did not have the full, weighty sound and were more neutral and lighter sounding.

I bought an Axis with Basik Plus and K9 in 88, a definite step up from my AR Legend. I replaced it with an LP12 with Ittok and Asak, and this was big step up, but I've often wondered how the Axis would go with the Ittok etc.
Very much plug and play, but high quality performance. In my opinion better than the Rega at the time.
My first TT was an Axis Mk2 with a K5, then K9, then AT MC. Arcam Delta 60 and Index IIs. If the speakers weren't so big I'd reacquire the lot just to see how it compares with what I have 25 years later...

I much preferred my Axis/Akito to the equivalent Rega, it’s a lovely little deck.

All the Axis on eBay currently have the basic arm. Yet if you search for Akito, they’re all on Basik turntables. Very odd, almost makes me want to buy one of each, and swap them over.

For the amp/speakers mentioned in use, a new Rega P1 or P1+ is a very well choice.
Get a VM95e fitted

I much preferred my Axis/Akito to the equivalent Rega, it’s a lovely little deck.

All the Axis on eBay currently have the basic arm. Yet if you search for Akito, they’re all on Basik turntables. Very odd, almost makes me want to buy one of each, and swap them over.

It's not odd really. The Axis came out first, a good while before the Basik. The Basik turntable came out not long before the Akito came out so more Basik turntables have Akitos. Also, I could be wrong on this one, I think the Axis was dropped before the Basik too.

There wasn't really an equivalent Rega turntable to the Axis. The Axis came out in 1985 when the Planar3/RB300 was the best turntable that Rega made and the Axis was considerably more expensive. I agree it's better, but it should be!

It's not odd really. The Axis came out first, a good while before the Basik. The Basik turntable came out not long before the Akito came out so more Basik turntables have Akitos. Also, I could be wrong on this one, I think the Axis was dropped before the Basik too.

There wasn't really an equivalent Rega turntable to the Axis. The Axis came out in 1985 when the Planar3/RB300 was the best turntable that Rega made and the Axis was considerably more expensive. I agree it's better, but it should be!

Timeline makes sense, it just doesn’t seem ‘right’ to me. Like I say, it’s probably easier to buy a Basik and swap, than wait for an Axis with Akito.

Nostalgia? A good deck for £500? Plug and play compared to LP12?

Could certainly do a lot worse.

I recall reading somewhere, probably on PFM, that after a few Linn dealers tried Ittoks on Axes such behaviour was strongly discouraged from a Glasgow direction after it revealed something of a gaping hole in the hierarchy concept.

advertisement

Back