advertisement

My mobile phone is ugly :(

I need a new phone but the latest iPhone imo is ugly with its three camera lenses on the back., A canon DSLR has one, why the f does an iPhone need three - bragging rights and instant recognisability is my guess.

I need a new phone but the latest iPhone imo is ugly with its three camera lenses on the back., A canon DSLR has one, why the f does an iPhone need three - bragging rights and instant recognisability is my guess.

It has three cameras, with their own lenses and sensors. They’re very good, and I don’t go around forcing people to look at the rear of my iPhone 12 Pro (also has three rear cameras).
I’d have thought that a zoom lens with the zoom mechanism within the body would’ve been fitted by now, but I suspect that takes up a lot of room within the phone’s body.

iu

You can’t change the laws of physics: a long focal length (telephoto) lens has to produce a very small image, or be mounted very far from the sensor plane. Most phone lenses are super-wideange (less than f=20 mm in 35mm SLR equivalent), because that’s the only way to work with the small available height. Similarly, a large sensor gives better dynamic range, but would require the lens to be mounted further away from it, so most phone makers use tiny sensors that produce grainy, nasty images, and then hammer them with software processing until they look good. There is no such thing as a “raw file” from a modern phone: you never see the sensor output.

Optically speaking, iPhones have never had a good camera. Apple learned a long time ago that people don’t care about accurate, as long as the picture looks “good” (this is a fundamental design principle of Apple products, incidentally). These days, there’s a very sophisticated AI processor on phones that turns the distorted, grubby washed-out image from the sensor into a sharply-resolved picture with deeply saturated colours. Much like your own eyes, in fact...

My favourite phone was the thin flat Motorola Razr about 20:years ago from when batteries lasted days and we used them for a phone call or being contactable. Best phone for pocket with its design and well built. My criteria now are toughness when dropped, battery capacity, speed of charging, computing power and ease of use considering it’s a mini computer but I couldn’t give a stuff about how it looks. I dislike the way everyone is glued to them still, stifles work and conversations and if ugly phones dissuade this I’m all for phones falling out the ugly tree.

there’s a very sophisticated AI processor on phones that turns the distorted, grubby washed-out image from the sensor into a sharply-resolved picture with deeply saturated colours. Much like your own eyes, in fact...

The new Pixel 6 takes two photos at the same time using a different sensor for each photo (one with a faster shutter speed), then combines them to reduce (or maybe remove) motion blur. Very clever.

Yes. “Computational photography” is the big deal these days. There’s also the use of the infrared ranging sensor to determine what “should” be in focus and what is background detail - that way you can sharpen what should look sharp, and soften what shouldn’t. Dial that up, and you can also use it to selectively blur background details to an extent that would not be possible at the aperture and focal lengths of the lenses being used.

51614581084_1357353aac_b.jpg

I love the look of my new iPhone 13. I was especially attracted to the beautiful red-anodised alloy frame and red glass back panel. A design classic for sure.

it was possibly beautiful before you covered it with an ugly case

Meh; Otterbox are about the best cases you can get IMO

Agreed. I trust them. I had the 6S fly out of a pocket at speed on a canal path ride and also survive a road accident where I ended up underneath a transit van. That phone still honestly looks as-new, not even the slightest mark on it thanks to the Otterbox. I try to get a very long lifespan out of a phone as I buy outright and look for minimum TCO, so keeping it absolutely safe is a priority. I’m prepared to bet all the folk you see on the bus/tram tapping away on trashed dinged-up phones with cracked screens etc have them on a contract/hire-purchase. If I drop £800+ on something I’m making sure it lasts!

Reminds me of when my girlfriend lent me her phone with a pink case. I keep my debit card in the case, so everytime I got it out to buy something, I had to tell the cashier that it wasn't my phone. I got some strange looks...

advertisement

Back