advertisement

Jerry Garcia - McIntosh mc2300 amp sold big $$$K

I seem to recall that Bob Weir spent several hundred $000 on McIntosh home audiophile gear last year - well I suppose they get big discounts anyway

It’s going to cost a fortune to restore that, can you imagine just trying to get the adhesive residue off after that sticker is peeled away.
Ha, the sticker is surely where the value is?Nowt to do with sound reproduction, all about collectibility and increasing investment?

Clearly remember the Dead at Wembley Halloween 1990, I was front row centre and during the first number (help on its way) Garcia blew one of the 12 inch speakers in his JBL D120/E120 stack, powered by aforementioned Mcintosh, long before the end of Slipknot (second number) unit had been removed, replaced and all was well. Great night ending in Werewolves of London. Bruce Hornsby as stand in keyboard player looked absolutely terrified from first note till last.

Clearly remember the Dead at Wembley Halloween 1990, I was front row centre and during the first number (help on its way) Garcia blew one of the 12 inch speakers in his JBL D120/E120 stack, powered by aforementioned Mcintosh, long before the end of Slipknot (second number) unit had been removed, replaced and all was well. Great night ending in Werewolves of London. Bruce Hornsby as stand in keyboard player looked absolutely terrified from first note till last.
Great memory!
Despite being in US 69-71 I never got to see the Dead, did see Allman Bros, Grand Funk and so many more though. I’ll have to watch this to catch up…..

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/grateful-dead-shows-david-fricke-247878/amp/

Last edited:

I was at Wembley for that night and one of the others, having hot-footed it back from the Zenith in Paris a couple of days before. Great memories.

Did they wear Holloween masks for Werewolves?

My sister lives in Williamsburg, VA, and is friends with the Hornsbys. I met him once about 10 years ago. Extremely nice man - he said he loved playing with the Dead!

I’m 52 and like to think I have quite broad musical tastes, but if I’ve ever heard a Grateful Dead song I’m unaware of the fact.

In that case, you've potentially got a lot of fabulous listening to do!
Thank you. If I came across as being critical or snobbish that wasn’t the intention. I’m obviously aware of them as a “thing”; they’ve just never crossed my path. I don’t know if that’s because they may be almost exclusively “American” or having limited availability in physical formats over here? I don’t see much of their stuff in record fairs for example. I hadn’t given it much thought tbh. Will check out streaming services to see what I’ve apparently been missing.

advertisement

Back