advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how did that play out? exonerated as I recall. Seems you and Toxic are happy to compare despot murderers with failure to pay taxes( allegedly). There is no comparison, I realise it's uncomfortable for you. Your repeated attempts to distract from the facts with say the Standard Chartered case and this Leicester one is testament to that. Let's face it Mansoor can't sue himself for failure to pay taxes... to himself now can he? :)

Standard chartered don't own Liverpool. Mansoor/The UAE owns City.
One amusing anecdote regarding the money laundering was thar suitcases containing up to £500000 Of dodgy money were deposited at Standard Chartered branches......in the UAE, A state where you can't take a crap without the secret police knowing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blooming Nora! £8m! :eek:

It's probably all in Sports Direct vouchers :D

I expect the new owners had full disclosure of his contract details, so know what they were facing to sack him.

Given his contract was awarded by Ashley, I would be amazed if the final settlement was anywhere near the £8m figure quoted. That looks like click-bait to me. Various Bruce basic salaries are quoted ranging from £1m to £2.75m basic which was incentivised with performance bonuses. Normally, when sacked, the manager is put on gardening leave and paid his basic salary on the drip over the agreed 12-18 months settlement period. If he takes another managers job during that period, the payments either stop, or Newcastle makes up the difference, depending on how the contract is worded.

Standard chartered don't own Liverpool. Mansoor/The UAE owns City.
One amusing anecdote regarding the money laundering was thar suitcases containing up to £500000 Of dodgy money were deposited at Standard Chartered branches......in the UAE, A state where you can't take a crap without the secret police knowing about it.

Your defence of Liverpool knows almost no bounds. You choose to advertise a convicted money launderer's product when they have money laundered for a country with one of the worst human rights records. You are in denial about this issue, for some reason. I do not personally care too much about it but I do not like the double standard.

I have not tried to defend the human rights record of the UAE as the United Nations have highlighted a number of issues in the country of a despicable nature. That isn't defensible.

The point, which you find very hard to grasp, is that most football fans care not about human rights issues but use them as a stick to beat a rival tribe with. There is no comparison between the human rights issues and corruption but you said that Leicester's win was not tainted. If the owner did evade 372m of taxation, that COULD give Leicester a financial advantage that they may not have enjoyed previously.

I think this has been played out enough now.

Manure struggling.

Since it seems everyone suddenly likes cabbage a lot there is a red one available right now.

Good goal by Rashford.

Someone will get a red in this game and I can see a few goals for manure to turn this around.

Your defence of Liverpool knows almost no bounds. You choose to advertise a convicted money launderer's product when they have money laundered for a country with one of the worst human rights records. You are in denial about this issue, for some reason. I do not personally care too much about it but I do not like the double standard.

I have made my disappointment very clear regarding liverpools continued association with Standard Chartered. Where is your condemnation of Mansoor and co? Oh you are waiting for the UN to act .....see below

I have not tried to defend the human rights record of the UAE as the United Nations have highlighted a number of issues in the country of a despicable nature. That isn't defensible.

....but you'll continue to take the money and the silverware with zero criticism and the most ridiculous attempts to separate the Man(soor)from the despicable regime.

There is no comparison between the human rights issues and corruption but you said that Leicester's win was not tainted. If the owner did evade 372m of taxation, that COULD give Leicester a financial advantage that they may not have enjoyed previously.

Leicester owners were exonerated so there is no 'COULD' ,ergo there was no tainted title.

I have made my disappointment very clear regarding liverpools continued association with Standard Chartered. Where is your condemnation of Mansoor and co? Oh you are waiting for the UN to act .....see below

....but you'll continue to take the money and the silverware with zero criticism and the most ridiculous attempts to separate the Man(soor)from the despicable regime.

Leicester owners were exonerated so there is no 'COULD' ,ergo there was no tainted title.

Only you could come to those conclusions based on what I have said and you are recreating a never-ending circle.

I will repeat that I have been a fan of Manchester City since 1968 and that will not change whoever the owner is. If the UN condemns the actions regarding human rights within the UAE then I will not defend Mansoor or anyone else associated with the leadership of the country; it would be complete folly to do so when I know far less than the UN.

I will leave it there because, frankly, it is utterly boring having to repeatedly make the same points.

Only you could come to those conclusions based on what I have said and you are recreating a never-ending circle.

I will repeat that I have been a fan of Manchester City since 1968 and that will not change whoever the owner is. If the UN condemns the actions regarding human rights within the UAE then I will not defend Mansoor or anyone else associated with the leadership of the country; it would be complete folly to do so when I know far less than the UN.

I will leave it there because, frankly, it is utterly boring having to repeatedly make the same points.
So If the UN condemns the actions of the UAE and its deputy prime minister regarding human rights then you will not defend Mansoor. Wow that's some principled commitment and a good way to end this exchange.

Last edited:
The trouble is. It’s very hard for anyone to like the direction of travel of their club in terms of ownership, or to see how the genie can be put back in the bottle. Are there any owners/clubs that can genuinely say they’re whiter than white?

Anyway, I’ve removed a few posts, I’ve hoofed a poster who made some particularly unpleasant comments, and if it continues I may remove more. I do my best to keep this thread civil, however please do remember I have a life. When the last torrent of reports came in this week I was in bed feeling like death warmed up, and fearing I had Covid again…. This was after a ten hour working day.

Can we all try to be a little better and a little more tolerant. I wouldn’t say anything on here I wouldn’t say to anyone’s face. I’m not sure we could all say that.

The trouble is. It’s very hard for anyone to like the direction of travel of their club in terms of ownership, or to see how the genie can be put back in the bottle. Are there any owners/clubs that can genuinely say they’re whiter than white?

Anyway, I’ve removed a few posts, I’ve hoofed a poster who made some particularly unpleasant comments, and if it continues I may remove more. I do my best to keep this thread civil, however please do remember I have a life. When the last torrent of reports came in this week I was in bed feeling like death warmed up, and fearing I had Covid again…. This was after a ten hour working day.

Can we all try to be a little better and a little more tolerant. I wouldn’t say anything on here I wouldn’t say to anyone’s face. I’m not sure we could all say that.
Agree. That is the bar. There are some who attempt to disguise genuine provocation as banter because it’s a football thread.

Anyway, football has always been about money but it was ramped up with the formation of the Premier League and Sky TV. I would like to see a return to Divs 1-4 and the money spread around but that genie can’t be put back in the bottle.

There are some clubs that on the outside appear very well run, Brentford for example, Bournemouth also spring to mind, I was sorry to see them relegated but I don’t actually know anything about their ownership. Why would I honestly care anyway? To consistently appear near the top takes money and where there is money there is going to be someone unhappy with how that money is made or those that have it. That’s not to do with football specifically.

Anyway, football has always been about money but it was ramped up with the formation of the Premier League and Sky TV. I would like to see a return to Divs 1-4 and the money spread around but that genie can’t be put back in the bottle.

I have some sympathy with that although I actually think money has done more to damage cricket but that's another thread.

Before we get too rosy about the old Div 1, money still pretty much dictated where the title went well before the Premiership. Last 20 years of Div 1 the winners came from 8 different clubs. Last 20 years of Premiership it's 6 - so fewer now, but not drastically so. The direction of travel is the same for any sport that goes professional it seems to me.

I would be surprised if there is a fan out there that would stop supporting their team because of a change of ownership. It is also true that many of us are ignorant of events across the globe until our attention is drawn to them.

Anyway, we are loyal, tribal, and defensive of our teams because football inspires it. Some of my earliest memories are of ducking through the streets and alleyways of Moss Side with my dad and grandad; I will never lose those sights, smells and thoughts.

Steve Bruce has spoken: "I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough,” he said. "To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one. It was ridiculous and persistent, even when the results were good."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-newcastle-reveals-hard-called-inept-cabbage/

Steve Bruce has spoken: "I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough,” he said. "To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one. It was ridiculous and persistent, even when the results were good."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-newcastle-reveals-hard-called-inept-cabbage/

Yeah well, what goes around.....we remember Mr. Bruce and his sense of loyalty.

Am I wrong to have a drink tonight to celebrate Steve's sacking, er I meant mutual decision. I mean it was 20 years ago.
“I gave him the job, I spent millions on players with him, top of the league and the moment Birmingham batted their eyelids at him, off he wanted to go."
- Simon Jordan, ex-Chairman CPFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back