advertisement

Adult-Proof Packaging.

I've just spent far too long trying to fight my way into a jar of pills. :mad:

Luckily I still possess a fair degree of manual dexterity, and was able to get in eventually with the aid of my trusty Swiss Army Knife. How the **** is someone who's frail supposed to cope? :mad:

A very common problem. My pet hate is the sealed plastic packs of ham from supermarkets. I find the best way to get in is to bite the little plastic tab and then pull hard. Not the most hygienic way to open cooked meats.

My 2yo opened a Calpol bottle with a childproof top the other day.. had the plastic syringe in the top too…!

I bought a strong pair of scissors the other day which came in some fiendishly thick plastic packing seemingly welded around the edges which would not pry apart. You’ve guessed, I needed another pair of strong scissors to open it, or risk losing a body part using a sharp knife. Reminded me of the time I bought a replacement element for my soldering iron then had to borrow another soldering iron to install it. They just don’t tell you about these things at school!

And don't get me started on the plastic film wrap on CDs...
I have a trusty chisel that I use to get into CDs. It works beautifully with jewel cases, pull the film tight and run the chisel down the groove between the black bit and the clear bit. I’m usually confounded by those in simple cardboard sleeves though. The film is often so tight that the chisel won’t fit into the sleeve entrance. I have to wait until a young scoundrel comes to pay his respects, then I give him the task in return for a spinning top, a threepenny bit, a bag of frogspawn or somesuch.

I happen to knew that in the old people care business they have special machines that take the pills out of those dam blister packs. So, first they use a machine to insert the pills into the pack, and then...

Gosh!! I'm so glad I only had to spend 12 hour shifts shovelling toxic corrosive waste into furnaces and messing about with molten metal. When I think how awful things could have been.... ;)

Still..I'll soon be of the age where my 5 pills per day are all put into weekly trays for me each day labelled etc... I'll then only have to remember to take them.

Do I take sugar?

A very common problem. My pet hate is the sealed plastic packs of ham from supermarkets. I find the best way to get in is to bite the little plastic tab and then pull hard. Not the most hygienic way to open cooked meats.

Thing is, many of these are supposed 'peel and reseal'.. which of course never works. So what you do in all cases is just use a sharp knife to open the pack. You then use what you need then wrap any unused contents in clingfilm, excluding as much air a possible.... and keep it in the fridge, with the original pack (for date info). I do this all the time with pre-packed bacon, ham etc.

advertisement

Back