advertisement

My mobile phone is ugly :(

Interesting thread. I used to like the look of Mobile Telephones like the Nokia 7280, 8810, 8850 and 8910i. These were unique, felt nice to use and to my eyes look great even now!

The only Smart Telephones I liked the look of were the HTC ones.

Everything else just looks the same!

I'd rather spend money on Hi Fi upgrades; however if I find another Device with wow factor, I'd look into it! :cool:

Really?

And it’s a long, long time since I spoke to anyone who was obsessed with the looks of their mobile.

Not sure why I even said that TBH. Most peoples phones are definitely not usually in their pockets these days.

You only have to read the YouTube comments section to see how important looks are to a surprising number of people. It shocked me, hence the thread.

They're both superb; the Pixel 4XL for me beats the iPhone 12 Pro Max in overall detail and it doesn't 'colour' the picture as much. But only just; they're both excellent:

Pixel 4XL:

IP 12 Pro Max:

In all the comparisons I've seen, the Pixel 4 looks to me to have the best camera out of the Pixels (including the 5), but as you say, it's not a huge difference.

As rectangles go, the modern smartphone sure is a special case of a parallelogram. OK, the vertices are often rounded off, so technically the rectangle is a stadium, but as stadiums go...

Joe

As rectangles go, the modern smartphone sure is a special case of a parallelogram. OK, the vertices are often rounded off, so technically the rectangle is a stadium, but as stadiums go...

Joe
Aha! Is that where the expression ‘stadium gig’ comes from, because everyone present holds their phone in the air?

Someone should invent the oval phone. Oh wait…

296790-B8-03-BA-416-D-BD90-066-EEDAA0630.jpg

Marchy, my man.

Aha! Is that where the expression ‘stadium gig’ comes from, because everyone present holds their phone in the air?

In my day it was lighters. I guess people have to hold some annoying thing that blocks your view when listening to live music.

Joe

Marchy, my man.

In my day it was lighters. I guess people have to hold some annoying thing that blocks your view when listening to live music.

Joe
And before that, matches. I remember Alexei Sayle back then saying that his favourite part of any gig was the moment when 5,000 people shout ‘Ow, ****in’ hell!’ simultaneously.

It's a good question in the wider sense.

I'm obsessed with the appearance of anything I buy and use, whether that be a suit or a mobile phone or a bottle opener.

I would rather have a crap phone that looks fantastic, rather than a good phone that looks shit.

Why? I don't think it is about fashion or bragging, or what other people think, but these things are totemic of our own success, our personal style, about what's important to us, about ambition in trying to move forward etc.

If you need one, then may as well get one that is aesthetically as good as it can be, no?

Well, not if doesn't work, no!

Marchy, my man.

And before that, two sticks rubbed together vigorously at an early jazz concert.

0gWb7eO.png

Joe

Marchy, my man.

Joe

At least it was only during the one slow song, nowadays there's twats holding there phones up the whole way through.
I still use a Nokia 5110 mobile for work, nothing else lasts

It's a good question in the wider sense.

I'm obsessed with the appearance of anything I buy and use, whether that be a suit or a mobile phone or a bottle opener.

I would rather have a crap phone that looks fantastic, rather than a good phone that looks shit.

Why? I don't think it is about fashion or bragging, or what other people think, but these things are totemic of our own success, our personal style, about what's important to us, about ambition in trying to move forward etc.

If you need one, then may as well get one that is aesthetically as good as it can be, no?
Bizarre. If I need an item, I want it to do the job I need it for. What it looks like is secondary. Happily form follows function so that which does the job looks quite neat.

I appreciate the styling of early iphones. From the 4s to the 5se it was pleasant to look at, felt good in the hand and you had beautiful accurate engineering to look at every time you took it out of pocket. Just look at the SIM card slot for example. Put it any sort of case and it could be ‘anyphone’. When I’m doing a lot of kayaking I use a waterproof case for the se. It loses all my affection… but it doesn’t die in the toilet or slip out out of my pocket and commit suicide on the pavement.

advertisement

Back