advertisement

2021 Beatles Let It Be

Mono 60s pressings for me, they put more attention into the established format, the early singles are just more engaging and musical. At some point will get the mono stuff on digital to compare, but now happy with vinyl.

Will the Peter Jackson Beatles movie be available on DVD and blu-ray? That's has piqued my interest.

I have enough analogue and digital versions of Let it Be to see me through the rest of my days, so I may pass on getting the two CD set unless it's something special.

Joe

Will the Peter Jackson Beatles movie be available on DVD and blu-ray? That's has piqued my interest.

I have enough analogue and digital versions of Let it Be to see me through the rest of my days, so I may pass on getting the two CD set unless it's something special.

Joe

I've only seen Disney+ so far at the end of next month. Perhaps that only relates to the whole 6 hour documentary - must be...

Gav,

That's all I've seen as well — that the documentary is on Disney+ — but I don't subscribe to Disney+.

I'd be OK with splashing out 20 clams or so for a disc, though.

Joe

Just ripping the blu-ray from the deluxe edition as I type. As with Abbey Road, the 24/96 PCM Stereo tracks are from a different master with higher dynamic range than the CD/download.

There's not a great deal of dynamic range unfortunately except on a couple of the Johns mixes. It's not bad but nothing that wouldn't go in 16 bits. I'm sure you're right though about it being a different mix - from what I've heard. It's very enjoyable.

The Beatles: Get Back review – eight hours of TV so aimless it threatens your sanity

"But the moments of inspiration and interest are marooned amid acres of desultory chit-chat (“aimless rambling”, as Lennon rightly puts it) and repetition. There is a point, about five hours in, when the prospect of hearing another ramshackle version of Don’t Let Me Down becomes an active threat to the viewer’s sanity. That is doubtless what recording an album is like, but for an onlooker it is – to use the language of 1969 – a real drag. Much opprobrium has been cast at Yoko Ono for her constant presence at Beatles’ recording sessions, but, after this, you marvel at her fortitude for sitting through them."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...urs-of-tv-so-aimless-it-threatens-your-sanity

The Beatles: Get Back review – eight hours of TV so aimless it threatens your sanity

"But the moments of inspiration and interest are marooned amid acres of desultory chit-chat (“aimless rambling”, as Lennon rightly puts it) and repetition. There is a point, about five hours in, when the prospect of hearing another ramshackle version of Don’t Let Me Down becomes an active threat to the viewer’s sanity. That is doubtless what recording an album is like, but for an onlooker it is – to use the language of 1969 – a real drag. Much opprobrium has been cast at Yoko Ono for her constant presence at Beatles’ recording sessions, but, after this, you marvel at her fortitude for sitting through them."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...urs-of-tv-so-aimless-it-threatens-your-sanity

As soon as I knew Peter Jackson was involved I was ready to be disappointed. I know nearly everyone thinks his LOTR and Hobbit films are amazing, but I don't... they are over long and shorn of the books' magic to the point of banality. Sure they look fantastic, but there is no real substance... this documentary series sounds exactly the same... lots of footage, no cohesion and a rambling over long mess. Sadly and as much as I love The Beatles, I'm out.

I don't care. I'll roll myself around in it with glee, cover myself from head to toe in its Beatley-ness. Just to be able to - for a bit - pretend that I'm that fly on the wall in the presence of greatness. And **** the naysayers whose modus operandi is to criticise greatness for the reaction it provokes.

(I do, however, reserve the right to come back here tomorrow, having watched it, and eat humble pie if that review is correct ;) )

But he still gave it three stars! Ha!

Saw the piece on BBC lunchtime news and there they were in HD being Beatley as @JTC said. Maybe they should put a "fast forward through the dull bits" function on the blu ray.

Haven't seen it yet (binge over the weekend coming up)
Gave this a spin today though. Sounded ace.

A9ReHqm.jpg

advertisement

Back