advertisement

Naim Chrome Bumper and Olive shoebox case dimensions?

Puggie

pfm Member
So for my HackerNAP build I want to create a 'Naimesque' casing. Either Olive or Chrome Bumper shoebox style monoblocks. What are the dimensions of the classic Naim Shoebox case? Ideally I'd like depth, width, height, thickness of the aluminium and the setback of the faceplate/sled. A decent image of the Naim logo would be nice too if anyone had one. I'm not going for a direct copy here, just a close as casing of the same style and similar logo (won't say Naim though or be backlit in green), the heritage should be obvious. I then want the closest aluminium extrusion I can find, powdercoat it wrinkle black, cut and fold a sled from 2mm aluminium and cut/engrave a plastic front in a similar style. I've found 200x100 extrusion in 4 and 5mm thickness, which is the closest I've found, I believe I want 205x76mm but no idea on wall thickness, I'd guess 3-4mm ish.

Any help gratefully received.

The external dimension of the shoebox extrusion is 208 x 76mm. Thickness is about 3.5mm though it might be nominally 1/8".

However, 200x100 gives you far more room internally for things like transformers that won't hum, for example! Do you have a link to those?

The external dimension of the shoebox extrusion is 208 x 76mm. Thickness is about 3.5mm though it might be nominally 1/8".

However, 200x100 gives you far more room internally for things like transformers that won't hum, for example! Do you have a link to those?

I suspect the OE cases are 8"x3" profile x 1/8" wall thickness.

I'm looking at just stock lengths of aluminium box section, this is the current favourite:

https://metalsshop.co.uk/product-eng-1125-200-x-100-x-4-mm-Aluminium-Rectangular-Tube.html

They will also supply it powdercoated if you like in matt black or anthracite (posh grey), and will cut to length (2m minimum order though). I plan to powdercoat it myself in black wrinkle, won't be an exact match, but I'm not looking for an exact match just a pretty close.

Since the more usual style is to have a front panel large in size that the case (so that straight on you can't see the case) I think ANY design with an inset front panel with thick side walls would be a suitable echo of the Naim style.

(I mention in passing that thick side walls could be emulated by lining the front edge of the case with extra material, in the same way that table edges are made to look thicker with an applied rim)

BugBear

Further to this, I noticed the Bopla Alubos-2070 is a damn close fit size wise 210x74mm if stylistically not really right with its curve sides. It might be worth considering if someone is looking for something to stack with shoeboxes, You could machine a front panel with the exposed edge and recessed centre as suggested above to get 'the look'

Hammond MFG 1455U2801 might be worth a look too, close at 196.1x71.1mm, would take an oversize front plate nicely.

Also I notice now Aluminium warehouse do a 200 x 80mm with a 4mm wall:
https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/200-mm-x-80-mm-x-4-mm-aluminium-rectangular-tube
not cheap though!

Last edited:
If only someone was to commission a load of naim chrome bumper cases they would sell loads and clean up!

Ohh hang on ....they did ...and he didn't... selling at a loss in the end:(

If only someone was to commission a load of naim chrome bumper cases they would sell loads and clean up!

Ohh hang on ....they did ...and he didn't... selling at a loss in the end:(

Commissioning an extrusion is expensive though, we looked at it for something at work and the tooling was about £800 assuming a minimum order of 2 tonnes of extrusion. I'm looking to order an off the shelf extrusion and assuming a 2m length I'll have excess! Everything now is metric dimensions or 'U' and Eurocard sizes, nothing is available in Imperial standards otherwise this would be easy. This is why I said at the start I'm looking for a Naim shoebox in a Vic and Bob pub style, not a perfect reproduction. I'm merely documenting what I find as someone else will come along wanting something similar in a few years and this might be a good start. If I had been on this project when the FlatPopley cases were about, I'd probably have had a couple (then regretted not getting a couple more), but I'm late to the party as usual :)

advertisement

Back