advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Norway certainly does not have anything close to the 'highest suicide rate in the world'. These things take a minute to check.
It is not even in the top 40 but has the same rate as Canada and Netherlands.

I can’t imagine many Scotts would be happy to pay £7.50 for not even a full pint of heavy though (that’s the price for 0.5L of lager in Norway). I was going to say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but I suspect both countries receive sufficient rain for the colour of local vegetation not to be a major concern.

What’s the price of beer in Norway got to do with anything?

What’s the price of beer in Norway got to do with anything?
Well quite a lot if your an alcoholic from Oslo and, if you're not, then please feel feee to enlighten yourself by reading or perhaps re-reading the content of the posts in the pages preceding my post.

I can’t imagine many Scotts would be happy to pay £7.50 for not even a full pint of heavy though (that’s the price for 0.5L of lager in Norway). I was going to say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but I suspect both countries receive sufficient rain for the colour of local vegetation not to be a major concern.

In 2020 alcohol was causing 22 deaths per week in Scotland, according to the news...

Is that number higher or lower than those killed by drug use?

If you would like to propose an increased tax on alcohol in Scotland then I am fully prepared to support it. Perhaps we would see a trend for Beer runs to Barnard Castle or coaches full of Scotts coming to the Lake District for cheap cider.

^^ Norway certainly does not have anything close to the 'highest suicide rate in the world'. These things take a minute to check.
It is not even in the top 40 but has the same rate as Canada and Netherlands.
Indeed. It has a lower suicide rate than Finland which regularly comes top in league tables of the happiest country in the world (Norway came 6th, the UK was 13th, not even in the top 10, which are mostly European). So Finland is happiest, but paradoxically has more suicides per head than Norway. I’d like us to be Norway, or pretty much any of the Nordic countries.

Indeed. It has a lower suicide rate than Finland which regularly comes top in league tables of the happiest country in the world (Norway came 6th, the UK was 13th, not even in the top 10, which are mostly European). So Finland is happiest, but paradoxically has more suicides per head than Norway. I’d like us to be Norway, or pretty much any of the Nordic countries.

Possibly Finns are happiest on the whole because those that are`nt top themselves and drop out of the statistics.*

*Meant only partially facetiously, funny things statistics.

Well, based on the fact-light nature of your recent posts, anybody seeking enlightenment might do well to disregard those, mightn’t they?
Who rattled your cage?

Some specifics would be helpful or, if the content of my posts continue to fall short of the kind of rigour you demand, then by all means put me on ignore.

Who rattled your cage?

Some specifics would be helpful or, if the content of my posts continue to fall short of the kind of rigour you demand, then by all means put me on ignore.
Specifics? Have you not read the posts setting you right about Norway? Not demanding rigour, but that post felt like it was straight out of the gammon playbook and sat very awkwardly with me, so I and another fishie set the record straight. No big deal, but not something I felt like ignoring without passing comment, either.

Specifics? Have you not read the posts setting you right about Norway? Not demanding rigour, but that post felt like it was straight out of the gammon playbook and sat very awkwardly with me, so I and another fishie set the record straight. No big deal, but not something I felt like ignoring without passing comment, either.
Life is too short to fact check prior to submitting every post although, now you have piqued my interest, I have just looked at the suicide chart by country and was intrigued to find I hadn’t even heard of six of the countries in the top ten (Eswatini).

My original post a bit tongue in cheek (citing the Eurovision Song Contest) to wind the Scottttts up and suicide rates are much higher in Norway than the UK so yes maybe not my finest hour but by the same token I have done worse.

Life is too short to fact check prior to submitting every post although, now you have piqued my interest, I have just looked at the suicide chart by country and was intrigued to find I hadn’t even heard of six of the countries in the top ten (Eswatini).

My original post a bit tongue in cheek (citing the Eurovision Song Contest) to wind the Scottttts up and suicide rates are much higher in Norway than the UK so yes maybe not my finest hour but by the same token I have done worse.

Ah this is all too polite where is the Brexiteer spirit gone surely you should be upping the anti with some derogatory comments about Super tweeters or some sentence with hard and remainer in it somewhere. Even a roll eyes for dramatic effect. :rolleyes:

To get the thread back on track. How the mighty have fallen. Reduced to reading greetings for lolly instead of leading his army out of Europe. It is so pathetic listening to his monotone diatribe of hot air to try and drown out the fact he is a twat of the highest order.

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1450227109130014723

Last edited:

Fair enough, but please consider that the ‘gammon playbook’, if it existed, would be full of dubious stats, half truths and plain untruths with which to pepper social media to get attention, or lure the credulous. We’re in a world where the powerful get to manipulate the rest of us via the medium of bare faced lies. Never has fact-checking been more important.

Fair enough, but please consider that the ‘gammon playbook’, if it existed, would be full of dubious stats, half truths and plain untruths with which to pepper social media to get attention, or lure the credulous. We’re in a world where the powerful get to manipulate the rest of us via the medium of bare faced lies. Never has fact-checking been more important.
Well, that’s him told good and proper. The tots will like that one, for sure.

Gammon playbook. :D

Let’s be honest, dubious stats, half truths and plain untruths are anything you disagree with and a ‘checked fact’ is anything you agree with.

I am all for a ‘Nordification’ of the UK but I wonder if what affects the Finnish suicide rate is having all those bloody happy people around you all the time. It wouldn’t be good for a dour curmudgeon, it could push you over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back