advertisement

My mobile phone is ugly :(

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I'm not sure if it deserves a new thread, but - Why are people so obsessed with the way their phones look? In all the Pixel 6, YouTube review, comments sections, loads of people complain about the cosmetics - the curved glass, camera cut-out or bezel etc. To me all modern phones look pretty much the same, and I really couldn't care what they look like, and who's even going to see your phone when it spends most of its time in your pocket? I can kind of understand why phone reviewer do it, because they have to try and make their reviews interesting.

I honestly don't understand it. If they had what they consider an ugly phone, would they be embarrassed by it, and not want anyone that see it? Does anyone here feel that way? Maybe it's because I'm getting old and not interested in fashion?

I'm not sure if it deserves a new thread, but - Why are people so obsessed with the way their phones look? In all the Pixel 6, YouTube review, comments sections, loads of people complain about the cosmetics - the curved glass, camera cut-out or bezel etc. To me all modern phones look pretty much the same, and I really couldn't care what they look like, and who's even going to see your phone when it spends most of its time in your pocket? I can kind of understand why phone reviewer do it, because they have to try and make their reviews interesting.

I honestly don't understand it. If they had what they consider an ugly phone, would they be embarrassed by it, and not want anyone that see it? Does anyone here feel that way? Maybe it's because I'm getting old and not interested in fashion?

You've said it' it's fashion and bragging rights...

I'm bored of the curved screens; one reason why I still love my Pixel 4XL and now an iPhone 12 Pro Max; both with large, flat screens!

My most favourite phone was the Google Nexus 6; it was big, fugly but had a superb large flat screen. Ideal for someone with shovel like hands like me!

I've never bothered with a smart phone because I have a desk top PC, two laptops, two tablets, and smartphones are too big for just phoning.

Having said all that I'm slightly embarrassed by my "old persons' " phone which I have because it's nice and small and folds up neatly in my pocket, and one charge lasts about a fortnight. People laugh at it!

How do you find the camera compares between the iPhone and the Pixel?

They're both superb; the Pixel 4XL for me beats the iPhone 12 Pro Max in overall detail and it doesn't 'colour' the picture as much. But only just; they're both excellent:

Pixel 4XL:

IP 12 Pro Max:

I've never bothered with a smart phone because I have a desk top PC, two laptops, two tablets, and smartphones are too big for just phoning.

Having said all that I'm slightly embarrassed by my "old persons' " phone which I have because it's nice and small and folds up neatly in my pocket, and one charge lasts about a fortnight. People laugh at it!

That's it though; if you don't use the phone for what it's there to be used as; then why have one if a simple mobile phone does all you need (calls/texts etc)

That's it though; if you don't use the phone for what it's there to be used as; then why have one if a simple mobile phone does all you need (calls/texts etc)
Indeed, and that has been my thinking all along. However, and somewhat ironically, your previous post with the nice pics reminded me that the one thing I'd really like is a decent small relatively simple camera that I can just about fit in my pocket, and these days that's, errrr, pretty much a smart phone or nothing!

A while ago, the young lass at the desk in Waitrose cooed and said ‘Nice phone’ when I showed her the JL order number I was collecting on the tiny no camera no nothing credit-card sized phone I take cycling. I felt a bit Nathan Barley when I replied without thinking, ‘Yeah, it’s from Japan’. : )

(#coolstorybro)

Really?

And it’s a long, long time since I spoke to anyone who was obsessed with the looks of their mobile.

you ought to interact with my students.....

I quite fancy one of those Samsung Z fold things next, but it is so ugly when folded, and the camera is meh compared to their other offerings

I If they had what they consider an ugly phone, would they be embarrassed by it, and not want anyone that see it? Does anyone here feel that way? Maybe it's because I'm getting old and not interested in fashion?

It's a good question in the wider sense.

I'm obsessed with the appearance of anything I buy and use, whether that be a suit or a mobile phone or a bottle opener.

I would rather have a crap phone that looks fantastic, rather than a good phone that looks shit.

Why? I don't think it is about fashion or bragging, or what other people think, but these things are totemic of our own success, our personal style, about what's important to us, about ambition in trying to move forward etc.

If you need one, then may as well get one that is aesthetically as good as it can be, no?

you ought to interact with my students.....

I quite fancy one of those Samsung Z fold things next, but it is so ugly when folded, and the camera is meh compared to their other offerings

Students are a minority! My niece and nephew couldn’t give a hoot about them. My nephew, 16, had my old iPhone XS; my niece, 19 and at uni, has an SE. Most of their friends seem the same. As long as they can message each other swiftly and have a reasonable camera, they’re happy. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc barely feature. Most of the UK’s population is over 40, I’m guessing, and have gone well past caring too much about trends.

advertisement

Back