advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Lanterns on the Lake, last night; Storeys Field Centre, Cambridge.
Good Acoustics in the venue. LotL played well. Felt alright, not to crammed in.

Caravan at the Haymarket, Basingstoke on Wednesday. Were well aware of them in the 70s without ever really getting into them. Was a really good gig. Pye Hastings was the only original member in the line-up, but Mark Walker, the drummer, really stood out with his energy. Well worth the time and money.

First gig since lockdown was last Thursday in Manchester O2 Ritz - saw The Pineapple Thief (now with Gavin Harrison) and supported by the rather talented Alex Henry Foster from Montreal - a terrific night out

First gig since lockdown was last Thursday in Manchester O2 Ritz - saw The Pineapple Thief (now with Gavin Harrison) and supported by the rather talented Alex Henry Foster from Montreal - a terrific night out
Pleased to hear that - my better half and I are going to see them in Paris on the 23rd of this month.:)

Pleased to hear that - my better half and I are going to see them in Paris on the 23rd of this month.:)
The sound was exquisite, especially Gavin. If they're using the same support then make sure you don't miss them - the 7 piece Montreal group really put on a explosive 45 minute performance

The sound was exquisite, especially Gavin. If they're using the same support then make sure you don't miss them - the 7 piece Montreal group really put on a explosive 45 minute performance
Thanks for the heads up - I'll do some investigating on Qobuz.

Billy Hart quartet last night at Ronnie Scott’s. Mark Turner was excellent and no matter what anyone’s view on Ethan Iverson he is a tremendous musician.

Lanterns on the Lake last night at Gorilla Manchester. Hazel was struggling with an almost lost voice, which was a real shame, good all the same though. Fingers crossed she has some voice left for Birmingham punters tonight.

Snapped Ankles last Wed at Gorilla, Manchester. Enjoyed it altho arrived one minute before they started so hadn't 'settled in' ! Great energy.

Steve Hackett last night at the New Theatre, Oxford. Excellent gig. My chum, himself a guitarist, who had not seen Steve live before, said "Wow!" quite a lot at the interval and afterwards. Otherwise he was transfixed throughout.

Nation of Language, last week, here in Seattle. Mate had spare tix. I didn't know much about them, a very 80s electro sound. Think Blancmange, A-ha, or a 2nd division New Order.

Bit dubious about how much of the sound was 'live'. They are just bass, keyboards and vocals. The bassist didn't seem to be playing much, ditto the keyboard player, and the vocals were oh so perfect. If he had dropped the mic, I suspect the vocal would have STILL sounded perfect.

Yes, i am old, I expect a 'live show' to sound different to just playing the LP at home ;) Crowd loved it though, so who I am to moan?

caroline at Cafe OTO on 7 October. Excellent band who I first saw at End of the Road festival in September. Support was Shovel Dance Collective who were also very good. Their EPs Dark Blue and Skydiving on to the library roof (!) are really good

Cafe OTO is such a good small space, I recommend it to anyone who is within reach of London. This was with a reduced attendance, but they are opening up to full capacity again soon - negative test results required.

Haiku Salut last night at the South Street arts centre in Reading.
I turned to the mate I went with at the end, and said "That was the very definition of charming". He knew nothing of them beforehand, and came away a fan too.
Touches of early Four Tet, Colleen, and a hint of Vini Reilly about the guitar at times; but very much their own thing.
The light show, which was esentially midi triggered (I'm guessing) standard lamps strewn over the stage was brilliantly effective too.

An absolute treat tonight, Stone Foundation at Dreamland Margate. I’m being very generous if I say there was 150 people there, the band played like there was 1500, tremendous!

First visit to Dreamland, a good little venue, will keep an eye on who else is playing there.

Cheers BB

Beat Connection at the South Street Arts Centre in Reading, with Jane Weaver headlining.
She and her band were excellent, as per; and there was a cracking band on before her, Youth Sector - XTC/Devo/Talking Heads/ACR kinda thing, and dead tight players.

advertisement

Back