advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Looks like a couple of English dealers are getting the Solstice to demonstrate today if anyone is interested.

Given the landscape of high end turntables, tonearms, phono-stages and cartridges, the solstice is extremely well valued, packaged, and put together. We can debate the merits of it's design and appearance, but personally I think it's bold looking.

I'm curious where they go next with other models, but I think this is a great package to put out to the market.

How many are actually left for sale? I would have expected such a limited run to sell out very quickly indeed.

I've no idea, I just saw on Instagram that at least three UK dealers have taken delivery today, I wouldn't expect a limited edition Record player at £16K to sell out that quickly, even if those promoting or selling it would like folks to think so.

Sold two without demonstration?

Yes
Quite a few people have ordered them without seeing it for real or hearing it, quite a gamble really.
But it is ment to be very musical, just not as detailed as other for the same price or less, very naim source sounding, is how my dealer told me.
I am sure it will sound nice, but for that money I would also want it to extract as much details from the Grove as possible and not leave me wanting for more plus be musical

I’m looking forward to reading a review from a proud owner on here. My dealer said exactly the same about it sounding “very Naim”.
As for people buying blind… has anyone never bought anything without hearing it first? I’ve taken quite a few punts and have been mostly lucky

I’m looking forward to reading a review from a proud owner on here. My dealer said exactly the same about it sounding “very Naim”.
As for people buying blind… has anyone never bought anything without hearing it first? I’ve taken quite a few punts and have been mostly lucky

If I had spare funds I buy one without hearing, there are some items in life you just want.
Besides I just bought some Falcon LS3/5a without hearing and am loving them.

I guess because the guy has paid for it or put down a nice deposit on it, so it's his and I guess the dealer already has a few to sell himself and having it back to sell etc, he would lose his nice profit on it and be left with another one to try and sell

I have tried to search the Solstice to see if any buyer has reviewed it on here. I don’t seem to be able to find anything.
There are a couple of reviews on the Naim site but I wonder if it may be heresy to say anything negative there.
Anyone here got one that would be prepared to admit they got it wrong or it is absolutely delighted?

I have tried to search the Solstice to see if any buyer has reviewed it on here. I don’t seem to be able to find anything.
There are a couple of reviews on the Naim site but I wonder if it may be heresy to say anything negative there.
Anyone here got one that would be prepared to admit they got it wrong or it is absolutely delighted?

There's a looong thread going on, haven't found the guts to start reading, most likely biased

I'm gonna suggest it's an also-ran. Naim obviously put a lot of time into developing the thing and if it had turned out spectacular I reckon it would have been a full production product and would've cost more.

Why?

As someone that owns an ugly turntable/arm( therefore qualified to comment) I am not impressed. It’s a bit of a lump/slab/side of a cliff. I don’t like the Naiad either, but at least there is less of it….

In fairness to Naim, the pandemic seems to have hindered the Solstice rollout, which may explain the lack of feedback out there.

Still... from the comments of those who've heard it, I detect a more muted reaction than new Naim products usually get.

advertisement

Back