advertisement

Starting to get warmer... any other motorcyclists gearing up on here?

It's starting to get colder so I got me one of these on long term loan with a view to buying it depending on reliability...

5729_5613_L.jpg

I'm looking to get a new bike in the Spring after selling my Triumph Street Triple. Not sure whether to go classic or newish? I like the look of the new Triumph Tiger 660, but hanker after a classic BSA, AJS or Matchless.
Safety is top priority and worry an old bike might fall seriously short.

I'm looking to get a new bike in the Spring after selling my Triumph Street Triple. Not sure whether to go classic or newish? I like the look of the new Triumph Tiger 660, but hanker after a classic BSA, AJS or Matchless.

If you mean by 'safety' the brakes and suspension well then you just ride accordingly, if your riding an old bike with drum brakes you reduce your riding speed and use a longer braking distance.
What about a retro or classic styled Triumph, best of both worlds?

I was supposed to be buying a bike this year (money in the bank) but need space in the garage etc...
Ended up buying some HiFi bits this year instead so will need to top up the savings and sort the garage out so I can get one next year.
Problem is, not sure what to get - will only be for fun so 600cc to 900cc I think?

It's starting to get colder so I got me one of these on long term loan with a view to buying it depending on reliability...

5729_5613_L.jpg
Wow, a rare beast these days. These had an awful, awful reputation in the 90s, you couldn't give them away. They are now mildly collectable, go figure. What's strange is that the Yamaha XT and SR are sought after, these less so.

XTs and SRs are both good bikes though only really have become desirable in the past few years, especially 'Brat style' SR500s

I've given up on riding in the winter. It's due to having spent some time with a bike as my only form of transport in the past. Having to manage the wet gear at work, plus watching the bike dissolve under the road salt started to really take the edge off it all and I don't want to lose my mojo for riding.

So it's going to be a great excuse to strip it down, give it a full service plus tidy some cosmetic niggles. Now where's that 10mm socket?..

I don't mind winter riding but just for going to work not for recreation. I'd never buy or use a decent bike for it, I just buy something cheap and cheerful. I'm only riding a few miles to the yard so even a moped or scooter would do.

If you mean by 'safety' the brakes and suspension well then you just ride accordingly, if your riding an old bike with drum brakes you reduce your riding speed and use a longer braking distance.
What about a retro or classic styled Triumph, best of both worlds?

Closest near misses I ever had were a on an old '72 CB450 a little while back - with the high-revving but slow engine, you couldn't help but rev the nuts off it to get it going, but were then reluctant to give up the momentum passing blind junctions and the like.

A classic or retro styled modern bike with better tyres/suspension/brakes would be conducive to a bit more life-expectancy (in my case at least) :)

At least it's light enough to push off when the electric start packs in lol.

My XBR500 has a crap starter motor which only really works when the bike is warm. I've got a spare that I haven't got round to fitting yet though, as it's quite easy to kick-start.

108742392.in3fkzCT.xbr500_2.jpg

There are half a dozen motorbikes in my garage at the moment with not an MOT between them, which is on my to-do list to sort out as a couple of them should pass without any work.

Maybe an Enfield? My son is thinking about doing his test this year and I might get one of those as his first big bike.

Fish 'n chips run down to Ironbridge at the weekend.
52023290947_74d74a924d_c.jpg
That brought back some memories. The Tontine Hotel (the nearest building in the picture) is, by some considerable margin, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. No idea if it's improved in the c15 years since I stayed there, but the attractive exterior did not give any warning of the degrees of awfulness to be discovered within.

3 in mine! But one is only 18 months old
My XBR500 has a crap starter motor which only really works when the bike is warm. I've got a spare that I haven't got round to fitting yet though, as it's quite easy to kick-start.

108742392.in3fkzCT.xbr500_2.jpg

There are half a dozen motorbikes in my garage at the moment with not an MOT between them, which is on my to-do list to sort out as a couple of them should pass without any work.

advertisement

Back