advertisement

New member intro

topsy

pfm Member
Evening all!

This seemed like a place that might be fun to join. Over the last year or so I have joined the slippery slope of hifi gear for the first time in my life. I think it sort of started when I realised that I just wasn't listening to albums anymore because of how easy streaming is. Got out some of my old CDs and then remembered how great it all was. Well... being an adult now means that I can also buy a better system than the little JVC stereo I had as a kid in the early 2000s!

Various forms of upgraditis have already struck, I have played with raspberry pi's but have just got myself a Cambridge CXNv2 which I love! The rest is Rega Planar 2 with Elys 2, Rega Elex-R, a very old hand-me-down Cambridge CD player and KEF Q550 floorstanders. I also have a Chord Mojo and some Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphones.

Today I have been listening to a Jimi Hendrix at the BBC CD - new to me and I like it

Yeah that is what I have done but it comes up with an error message saying that I am trying to post spam or inappropriate content

Welcome Topsy. Do you happen to know a Turvy? If yes, you are Gilbert (or Sullivan) and I claim my five pounds! :)

PS - Like you, am also using a Mojo with headphones (Senm HD650) and am very pleased with it.

7k8YQjR.jpg

Hi Topsy, welcome! That looks like a great place to start your hifi journey. Beware, penury beckons! ;)
It's incredible how quickly you convince yourself that things are a good "investment". Only so much the wife will take though! I am going to have to stick for a little while I think!

Speaking of which! The next thing I will look to upgrade is the speakers I think... Would people have any recommendations for something fairly forgiving and not too bright/harsh, I think my room is not the most acoustically brilliant (I have improved it but am limited by the fact that other people want to use the room blah blah blah...) so something "forgiving". Is that a thing? I like the look of Sonus Faber or maybe the LS50 Metas.

Have a look at Amphion, especially the Argon LS7 floorstanders which are probably a similar size to your Kefs. Very forgiving on room placement, and a very natural, unforced sound. Not everybody loves them, but to my mind they get a lot of the important stuff right. The small standmount Argon 1 was the darling of the HiFi show earlier this month, with good reason. There's a pair of the Argon 3S in the classifieds at the moment. It's a respectable sized standmounter and doesn't concede a whole lot to the floorstanding Argon LS7 in terms of SQ or bass extension. Really sings on a good stand, too.

Have a look at Amphion, especially the Argon LS7 floorstanders which are probably a similar size to your Kefs. Very forgiving on room placement, and a very natural, unforced sound. Not everybody loves them, but to my mind they get a lot of the important stuff right. The small standmount Argon 1 was the darling of the HiFi show earlier this month, with good reason. There's a pair of the Argon 3S in the classifieds at the moment. It's a respectable sized standmounter and doesn't concede a whole lot to the floorstanding Argon LS7 in terms of SQ or bass extension. Really sings on a good stand, too.

Thanks for the tip

Welcome Topsy, nice room and kit! I’m guessing that’s not your listening chair in the picture..

Haha no - that was the wives decision, it looks nicer. Although that is where I sit for headphones!

Ay up.

mmm… the speakers are on the short wall?

Void beneath the wooden floor?

Distance between the speakers? Distance to your listening position?

I know I know... We all must do the best with what we have! If it was up to me then the speakers would be either side of the chimney.
My listening position is about 6 feet away or a bit more if I want, and the speakers are just over 6 feet apart from each other.
With regards to the void beneath the floor, there is one - not sure what I could do with that though (no I can't carpet...), would bookshelves on stands help with that.

At some point I am going to look to pick your collective brains about how I could improve the room!

Haha no - that was the wives decision, it looks nicer. Although that is where I sit for headphones!

I know I know... We all must do the best with what we have! If it was up to me then the speakers would be either side of the chimney.
My listening position is about 6 feet away or a bit more if I want, and the speakers are just over 6 feet apart from each other.
With regards to the void beneath the floor, there is one - not sure what I could do with that though (no I can't carpet...), would bookshelves on stands help with that.

At some point I am going to look to pick your collective brains about how I could improve the room!

:)

Life is a compromise, but I ditched that Wife, and got a better one.

From what I know now, I would start with the room/listening position before spending more on equipment.

Does the TV sound run through your HiFi? Could the TV sound run through your HiFi?
(assuming that you TV is on the right of the image supplied)

:)

Life is a compromise, but I ditched that Wife, and got a better one.

From what I know now, I would start with the room/listening position before spending more on equipment.

Does the TV sound run through your HiFi? Could the TV sound run through your HiFi?
(assuming that you TV is on the right of the image supplied)

The TV doesn't run through the Hifi, it could, I could optical in to the back of the streamer. But I wouldn't because the TV is not between the speakers. The TV is on the left hand side of a fairly sizeable chimney breast. Sofa is opposite the chimney breast. My listening position is facing the speakers (obviously) on an arm chair that I can move around a bit.

advertisement

Back