advertisement

Non USB streaming

yespsb

pfm Member
Apologies if this subject has already been covered and I have not managed to locate it it. I have almost convinced myself that I want a streaming option that does not include USB connectivity. Now before I go any further I should be clear and say I have only ever streamed Tidal using my inexpensive Activo CT-10.

I have everything I need to go to the next USB stage of streaming, a new fanless PC, master clock, 2 new Mirage USB cables. But at the back of my mind there is the constant thought that I will get a better sound by building a streaming rig that avoids USB connectivity however I still have a lot to learn on this front, hence this post.

Right now I am attracted to the idea of Raspberry Pi4 combined with a Pi2AES but I am more than happy to consider other options. IS2 connectivity is also an option as I am going to upgrade my Ares2 to a Pontus2 in late September. Any advice & thoughts are welcome, even critical ones Thanks PB

Ps right now Roon is not part of my thinking

I’ve just answered a similar question on this forum from someone in Australia.

IMHO USB can be an issue with SQ, the implementation of SPiDf either toslink or Coax is superior.

Gary

USB Streaming is no different to anything else, you just need to study the right way of doing it. For example, roon from a PC such as an NUC running roon ROCK (in a fanless case) then USB out to the decent DAC with galvanic Input isolation, will perform exactly the same as a streamer would. I really can't see the point of a streamer if using roon and a DAC.

Prior to the system i have now, i had a £23K amp with built in DAC with SPDIF and USB inputs. My main source was and still is an Intel NUC 10 running roon ROCK - i can use USB or Ethernet input, both sound identical.

It 100% depends on the equipment.

USB2.0 is theoretically the superior interface, but that doesn't always seem to manifest in practice since it's also the most recently developed and not all manufacturers have mastered it. In older Kit it's even less likely to be done well.

EG The Benchmark DAC3 has it totally nailed but the DAC2 certainly doesn't.

Until I had the DAC3 I used an RME HDSP9624 pro soundcard to supply SP/Diff to the dac which evolved from the Original Chord Dac64, to the Original Benchmark (no USB) to the DAC2 (with USB but SP/diff better) to the DAC3 (Usb better than SP/Diff).

BTW expensive audiophool USB cables are a complete waste of money.

If you want a top notch AES/EBU or SP/Diff interface then there is probably no point building it out of a Raspberry Pi connected to an ethernet based network since that will inevitably introduce a whole load of unknowns depending on the quality of the network irrespective of how well you can make the audio interface work . You need a pro soundcard made by either RME or Lynx in the PC which contains the HDD/SSD with the source files.

I have a digi hat with my Pi, mostly to bypass the controversy around the Pi’s shared hub.( I have a 3b). I found the sound quality just as good through all three digital routes.

Apologies if I have not made myself clear. I am seeking a streaming set up that does not include a PC of any description, does not include USB connectivity, does not include Roon. Currently I don't have ripped CDs or hard drive music in any format and cannot see me going that way for a year or two and maybe never. Streaming source would be Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify.

I should also say that in an ideal world I would control the streaming rig via my android phone.

Any ideas in line with the above would be most welcome, thanks in advance PB.

Any ideas in line with the above would be most welcome, thanks in advance PB.
Simplest solution would be a 2nd hand Bluesound Node 2i - capable of streaming from all sources you have mentioned plus Amazon.
Coax and optical out for connectivity to your Pontus 2 - very nice app, the importance of which should not be underestimated as it really can make or break the whole experience.
Plug it in and forget about it.:)

Well actually you do need a "PC" of some sort even if it's your mobile 'phone. The Pi setup is just an output device you can send the bitstream to.

The overall SQ will depend on the wifi, internet quality, phone quality, Pi's PSU quality and whether the Pi with the interface hat on is better than the Pi through USB direct is the last link in that chain. It depends on the relative engineering quality of the Pi and Dac's USB interfaces compared with the alternative.

Probably also depends on your choice of software for the Pi (presumably volumio) and how well it works with the interface hat.

All too difficult to second guess so trial seems the only way to go.

I recently upgraded my SOTM sms-200 Neo SE to a Metrum Ambre so I could connect to my Aqua La Scala DAC over i2s. Unfortunately I can’t swear that the improvements are down to the change of streamer or the i2s connection but my system definitely sounds much better. And more stable.

Well actually you do need a "PC" of some sort even if it's your mobile 'phone. The Pi setup is just an output device you can send the bitstream to.

The overall SQ will depend on the wifi, internet quality, phone quality, Pi's PSU quality and whether the Pi with the interface hat on is better than the Pi through USB direct is the last link in that chain. It depends on the relative engineering quality of the Pi and Dac's USB interfaces compared with the alternative.

Probably also depends on your choice of software for the Pi (presumably volumio) and how well it works with the interface hat.

All too difficult to second guess so trial seems the only way to go.

Thanks to you and the other replies, as you can tell I am fresh to the streaming world. My internet quality is decent, right now its TT fibre into one of their cheap & cheerful hubs but I am planning on swapping that out for a second hand switch from the likes of Cisco. The Pi running Volumio is the only output device I have seen close up but I am not stuck on the idea that it must be a Pi, as long as the output device has IS2 connectivity & maybe AES I will be happy subject to budget. I imagine the Denafrips Pontus 2 engineering would be right up their with the best (this is based on reviews only). As for trialing, I accept that's an inevitability and this post is focussed on reducing the cost & time of trials by hopefully getting as close to final solution from the start. ATB PB

Just set up Picoreplayer which enables you to have a server/ player in one box.Attach a digi hat for coax/optical and you have it!

I think you will be very happy with the Rpi with Pi2AES HAT into a DAC that will accept I2S. I have the same setup but into a PS Audio DSJr DAC via I2S, and couldn't be happier. Go for it!

Quick update. I went with my gut feeling and teamed my Pontus2 up with the Magna Mano Ultra 2 using i2s connectivity and Tidal/Volumio. So far, so good, next step is to compare Tidal v Qobuz and then to exchange my standard TalkTalk hub out for a second hand switch from Cisco/HP/Juniper.

To everyone who help me along the way, a big thanks and to all the i2s naysayers, well I think your fears are misplaced. Cheers Paul

Last edited:
I recently upgraded my SOTM sms-200 Neo SE to a Metrum Ambre so I could connect to my Aqua La Scala DAC over i2s. Unfortunately I can’t swear that the improvements are down to the change of streamer or the i2s connection but my system definitely sounds much better. And more stable.

I currently own the Metrum Ambre and I am about to upgrade my DAC to the La Scala MKII Optologic. Do I understand correctly that both I2S implementations are the same? So with a standard UTP cable I can connect the two and it works? Does this allow also DSD at bitrates up to 24/384?

advertisement

Back