advertisement

New M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pros

Here’s the whole event:

Anyone else notice that Tim isn’t in the building? Is this him beginning to step away?

It’s strange that nobody mentions Steve Jobs anymore and how Apple are doomed etc. All I can see are Apple’s products everywhere I go. Phones, tablets, laptops, earphones. They seem to doing quite well.

I’m waiting for the big screen iMac’s. My 2017 13" & 15" MBPs are still doing well enough to keep me going for a few more years. The 13" goes on the road, while the 15" is hooked up to LG 27" 5k monitor. Plan is to chop the latter combo in for iMac with the M1chip.

Decent event - short and sharp with some good product announcements. The laptops look fantastic; the Siri Apple Music subscription was kind of interesting.

I've got my eye on the 14 inch one. I've been using 15 inch MBPros since 2000 for software development, and they are always more than you want to spend, but end up being pretty much exactly the right machine for the job. I'm thinking the M1 Max might be the right processor (the middle one) for me, there's extra memory bandwidth to keep those cores chugging along which will make a difference for the sort of work I do. The GPU performance is irrelevant for me, and realistically, is totally fine across the range for what I use the machines for.

Looks to be £3k for a 14 inch with M1 Max 24 GPU core/32Gb/1Tb which is probably what i'll end up with. They tend to last me 4 or 5 years, and my current MBPro is a 2017 model, so chances are this will be next years purchase for me...

Oh, I should add i've got an M1 mac mini which is an awesome machine. It's used for backups for the other machines here, and does duties as a CI test machine. Performance is already a match for i7 x64 processors for single threaded use.

I have to admit if they stick an SD card slot and another USB port or two onto the next Air that may well be all I need too. These things are all so crazy powerful they can do more than I can imagine in Logic Audio, and that’s the only thing I have that even remotely taxes a computer (what I do still runs fine on my 2012 i7, but only after the SSD and RAM upgrade, just no chance with its original spec).

PS This guy gives a decent overview of what was announced without having to sit through the full Apple brainwashing:

It’s strange that nobody mentions Steve Jobs anymore and how Apple are doomed etc. All I can see are Apple’s products everywhere I go. Phones, tablets, laptops, earphones. They seem to doing quite well.

They did a nice 10 year video for him last month

To my eyes they went through a really flat period over the past 4 years ago pretty much removing ever-more ports, functionality and serviceability from Intel PCs in Apple boxes. Dumping Intel and bringing ARM-based CPU design in-house really is a game changer, plus it appears they have recognised some errors. Apple are now back being their own very distinct and unique thing, as they were for most of the company’s history right from the Apple I & II. I suspect in hindsight the Intel phase will be looked at as a rather lazy style over function period.

My main hope is they continue to expand and improve iOS/iPadOS as desktops and even laptops look very old fashioned to me now. It annoys me that I still need one because of OS limitations. The hardware is more than capable. That and either accepting, or being forced to accept Right To Repair. That is the next big hurdle. Given how astonishingly powerful modern computers are I’ll like to see a mandated 15 year service lifespan with full software/security support, affordable parts and schematics as a requirement of sale. If we are taking climate change seriously we absolutely have to get away from the disposable culture of IT.

To my eyes they went through a really flat period over the past 4 years ago pretty much removing ever-more ports, functionality and serviceability from Intel PCs in Apple boxes. Dumping Intel and bringing ARM-based CPU design in-house really is a game changer, plus it appears they have recognised some errors. Apple are now back being their own very distinct and unique thing, as they were for most of the company’s history right from the Apple I & II. I suspect in hindsight the Intel phase will be looked at as a rather lazy style over function period.

My main hope is they continue to expand and improve iOS/iPadOS as desktops and even laptops look very old fashioned to me now. It annoys me that I still need one because of OS limitations. The hardware is more than capable. That and either accepting, or being forced to accept Right To Repair. That is the next big hurdle. Given how astonishingly powerful modern computers are I’ll like to see a mandated 15 year service lifespan with full software/security support, affordable parts and schematics as a requirement of sale. If we are taking climate change seriously we absolutely have to get away from the disposable culture of IT.

You can run IOS apps on a M1 MBA 2020.

Go home, Apple, you're drunk

Not my opinion, because I don't have one.

Probably fair to say that was rather a click baity article there. Microsoft have released 3 x same dull products as last year and the surface studio laptop at a similar price point as the new pros that is butt ugly. I think windows central is pissed off :)

I listen to windows central podcast, its slightly more measured there. They both have the new studio and neither could say they were blown away with it for use or form factor.

Amazing machines, but I see no reason why I would replace my M1 MBA.
It is so light and thin.

Interesting how it focuses on the admittedly dumb ‘notch’ rather than the fact Intel, AMD etc have been left in the dust from a raw performance, heat, and energy consumption perspective! Fan sites gotta fan site I guess.

i didn’t think it was too bad an anti Apple article TBH especially regarding the notch.

"Aside from letting the other MacBook users in Starbucks know you're using the latest model, of course."

There hasn’t been much change is the design of the MBPs the last few years so maybe there’s some truth in the comment above?

There hasn’t been much change is the design of the MBPs the last few years so maybe there’s some truth in the comment above?

To my mind there has been, but that’s because over recent years they removed all the ports people needed, made the keyboard so absolutely awful even a spec of dust would stop it working, stuck that dumb touch-bar thing on instead of proper function keys and considered ‘thinness’ to be the key performance metric. The bizarre thing is just how much like my mid-2012 13” MBP the new model looks. It is a huge step back to sanity IMHO, though I await a proper iFixit teardown with interest to see whether it has any improvements in serviceability.

I ordered a 14" basic model this morning and then thought why do I need this? My MacBook Air M1 is a great portable, lightweight laptop and does everything I need it for. Common sense then prevailed (makes a change) and order now cancelled.

advertisement

Back