advertisement

Naim CDX2 still a good CD player?

Wow - anyone with a high end Naim CDP consigned to doorstop status, please let me know and I’ll give you money for it. Serious offer :)

Naim may not be able to fix them, because reliable new spare laser parts have dried up so they cannot offer any guarantee, but repairs are still easy if you know which lasers are used and can identify suitable donor machines.

Interesting. Someone who used to post here a lot went through the same thing. He loved his Isis, more than the Naim CDS3 that he had owned. Then the transport needed replacement; he had it done twice because the replacements never sounded as good. Eventually he gave up and sold the machine.

I seriously considered getting an Isis but I've come to the conclusion the Achilles' Heel of most of these very expensive players is still the cheap unreliable laser/transport. I am no longer willing to spend money on something like this.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Trying to get my CDS2 and CDS3 fixed, that is! :D I still love the sound of them.

Wow - anyone with a high end Naim CDP consigned to doorstop status, please let me know and I’ll give you money for it. Serious offer :)

Naim may not be able to fix them, because reliable new spare laser parts have dried up so they cannot offer any guarantee, but repairs are still easy if you know which lasers are used and can identify suitable donor machines.

I think there’s only one place to get these aged Naim CDP’s is Mark Slade of Witch Hat Audio, that’s where I’d be heading for.

Regards,

Martin

I think there’s only one place to get these aged Naim CDP’s is Mark Slade of Witch Hat Audio, that’s where I’d be heading for.

Regards,

Martin
I'm not at WH any more, but they'll happily look at the CDM4 based players (CDS1, original CDI). The others are not cost effective to find reliable working transports for, hence being a DIY project.

While 20 people with the same unrepairable problem may seem insignificant, every Naim CD player sold will have the same issue going forward. This has destroyed the resale market for which Naim has been held in high regard. I have an active all Naim system but cannot justify any Naim purchases in the future.

I have a CD5i which was secondhand when I got it; the CD mech broke twice in the 1st year - once I paid to be repaired and the 2nd time Naim did it FOC.

13 years on it’s still going great guns…It’ll be sad day when it eventually keels over :(

This has destroyed the resale market for which Naim has been held in high regard. I have an active all Naim system but cannot justify any Naim purchases in the future.
I believe it is more to CD players, DACs and to a lesser extent the streamers and all-in-one which usually get updated more frequently than the old school amps and preamps (Classic series have not been refreshed for 19 years).

I usually try to avoid buying costly digital gear as they usually depreciate more than anything else. Most of my digital gear are bought used.

I'm not at WH any more, but they'll happily look at the CDM4 based players (CDS1, original CDI). The others are not cost effective to find reliable working transports for, hence being a DIY project.

ISTM that the recent Naim players' VAM 1202 fail with a radial cracked CD platter. I notice that the magnet in recent pucks is far too strong, so I use the one from my '06 CDX2, which works fine. I would get out more but am in love with quirky classical music.:)

While 20 people with the same unrepairable problem may seem insignificant, every Naim CD player sold will have the same issue going forward. This has destroyed the resale market for which Naim has been held in high regard. I have an active all Naim system but cannot justify any Naim purchases in the future.

With all due respect that is patent nonsense. It’s predicated on an incorrect assumption that all mechs fail, which they clearly do not. OT but I have an early 1990s Discman still going strong. Had it examined earlier this year. Near zero signs of wear and it sounds great.It’s based on an assumption that only Naim has this problem or will suffer reputational damage. Again, clearly not true. In most cases replacement mechs have been available. In some they have not. Try getting even one out of some of the reputable names on here and then let’s have the discussion about reputational damage.I’m no apologist for Naim. They do several things quite badly and are in denial about that. This isn’t one of them though. As for the damage to the resale market. Hardly. Go take a look. Any damage being done at present is by virtue of being able to get better playback devices using different formats at lesser prices. I gather the person who ultimately acquired my Naim CDX2 checked in with Naim for a service and was told there were no concerns at all after 20 years.

With all due respect that is patent nonsense. It’s predicated on an incorrect assumption that all mechs fail, which they clearly do not. OT but I have an early 1990s Discman still going strong. Had it examined earlier this year. Near zero signs of wear and it sounds great.It’s based on an assumption that only Naim has this problem or will suffer reputational damage. Again, clearly not true. In most cases replacement mechs have been available. In some they have not. Try getting even one out of some of the reputable names on here and then let’s have the discussion about reputational damage.I’m no apologist for Naim. They do several things quite badly and are in denial about that. This isn’t one of them though. As for the damage to the resale market. Hardly. Go take a look. Any damage being done at present is by virtue of being able to get better playback devices using different formats at lesser prices. I gather the person who ultimately acquired my Naim CDX2 checked in with Naim for a service and was told there were no concerns at all after 20 years.

CD3 from 1994 still working, CDX2 from 2006 still working, CDX2.2 from 2016 failed with cracked CD platter, I replaced the platter and now it is working fine. I think it is a new problem.

ISTM that the recent Naim players' VAM 1202 fail with a radial cracked CD platter. I notice that the magnet in recent pucks is far too strong, so I use the one from my '06 CDX2, which works fine. I would get out more but am in love with quirky classical music.:)
That's precisely what happened to my Uniti, and if I ever get it repaired and playing again, I will remove the luck by holding the CD down with my fingertips while offering the luck off, rather than just pulling the puck off. It had just had a full service and screen replacement, too.

Ouch ! Sad but true.

I agree not fair to single out Naim or indeed any manufacturer, end of the day the parts that fail are generally not made by them. Sad but true that the quality of mechs/lasers has steadily declined as mainstream investment and research dried up.
Parts do fail sadly, even in amps hence the service requirements.
Can't hold the manufacturer to blame if the parts are no longer available, as said DIY or donor players is the only viable option, you can't possibly expect a manufacturer to fit used parts after all.
I applaud those like Rega who seem to get very good results with what is currently available.
The cost of re engineering or manufacturing a high end modern transport would be eye watering and out of reach for most mortals.

I take the view of enjoy the good players while we can, but think on this remember when it was said vinyl was dead and would no longer supported? look what happened

advertisement

Back