advertisement

Rega Apheta 2

Scraping a stylus/cantilever without a cat or a small child would give me PTSD. How are you all coping? :)

Very interesting thread as my Rega dealer told me earlier this year that Rega don't repair cartridges and my Apheta 2 had to be replaced by an Apheta 3 at a cost of £1250 (In fact I am sure I have emails from him saying exactly this). To make matters worse after a few weeks I started getting playback problems that were eventually traced back to 2 of the arm cables being loose on the Apheta 3 cartridge.

That experience made me doubt the dealer, this thread has guaranteed he never gets another penny from me.

I took some time out to go back through my emails and found my discussion with the Rega dealer. I was wrong to say the dealer said in emails that Rega did not repair cartridges.

What he actually wrote was the Apheta 2 was no longer available but it might be possible to have it repaired however as the Apheta is handmade he wouldn't recommend it (the inference was the repair was via an unspecified 3rd party) At no time what so ever did the long established Rega dealer mention either verbally or in writing that Rega offered any sort of cartridge repair service, I recall asking him over the phone and I am confident he said they didn't.

Now I have no idea how much Rega would have charged me to repair my damaged Apheta 2 cantilever but I do know it would have been less than my new Apheta 3 cost me and therefore its difficult not to conclude I have been deliberately misled to increase the profit of the said dealer. This is not a mistake or a glitch in communications, this is a authorised Rega dealer taking advantage of me and my lack of knowledge and that's wrong no matter how you look at it.

yespbs, it would appear that the unspecified Rega dealer of long standing was indeed largely correct, in as much as the Apheta 2 is no longer available and it might (would) be possible for it to be repaired (quite where the unspecified third party comes in I do not know, perhaps you would be good enough to let me know that too)

But possibly he said that the Apheta 3 was a far better cartridge and any potential rebuild expenditure could be better applied to that (I'm guessing here)

If you could PM me with the dealer concerned then I can speak to them and conclude accordingly,

Many thanks,

PD

advertisement

Back