advertisement

New M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pros

Tony L

Administrator
Only caught a few minutes of the very end of the presentation, but there’s a new 14” and 16” MBP that look pretty decent. Certainly more ports and up to 64GB RAM. I’ve no intention of buying one right now, but the 14” looks like the machine I was waiting for to replace my elderly mid-2012 13” i7. Start at $1999, which will be the same in Brexit quids I guess.

16in with max chip is £3300. But I have to say they look astonishing.

Then they had to go and ruin all by saying stupid like notch!

On the site now. £3k for the 14” with Max chip, 32GB/1TB. Ouch.

I’ll be very interested to see the iFixit teardown. £3k is a hell of a lot of dosh on something you likely can’t even swap-out a failed SSD on.

Its all on chip and thats its advantage. They look stunning. If you want to swap ssds get a framework.

Its pricy but for the performance, screen etc its probably apples best value ever. I dont need one, we have two macbook pros here and I prefer PC for desktops. Bet they do a dual version for the macpros.

Thanks for the heads up as I’ve been anticipating this release for a long time. Very expensive though and I’m not sure that I could really justify spending the extra over a 13” screen Macbook Pro.

Well considering it will be my last I may well just pull the trigger. I've been apple since my mums first cream one with a joystick and wooden sides.
When will it be on the shelf?
In the end of all things it helps me most with my work and life.

I’ve just bought a 27” iMac and it’s just about everything I will need for a while. It’s to replace a 10 year old 21.5” model with a dead GPU.

The 24” is too limited for me, not enough ports/expansion options.

Mind you my Bondi Blue one in the garage might have to come out to play.

Its all on chip and thats its advantage. They look stunning. If you want to swap ssds get a framework.

It’s not so much that I want to swap SSDs, it’s that I don’t want to throw a whole £3k computer away if it’s storage medium fails! A machine of that power should have a 10+ year usable lifespan, ideally a lot more given environmental responsibilities etc.

I was initially interested in the 14" models, but for the same price (£2,399), a 16" with 512GB SSD is available - that looks quite tempting.

Here’s the whole event:

Anyone else notice that Tim isn’t in the building? Is this him beginning to step away?

Blimey that Max is a thing and a half. It's also 3.2 times more expensive than the 2010 17" top spec mbp, what price progress. If I thought I'd get ten years out of it like the one still doing music server duty I'd get the little un. But with ssd on board that's a dead ship in under 5 years.

Well maybe. I have a 2016 macbook pro with soldered ssd that makes it 5 years and touch wood its not a dead ship. Not defending it particularly but I don't think the SSD should prevent purchasing one. The unified chip thingy looks very good indeed.

Apparently microsoft have been working with a partner to make their trackpads slightly less shit so that could be nice. but if you look at the new surface studio laptop, it looks like a toy in comparison and thats very pricy too.

Don't get me wrong I rate these new machine, but none replaceable storage is just 5hithouse obsolescence. I've run a bunch of very high spec laptops over the last 15 years, never had an ssd in a daily driver last 5 years.

The 16”, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, which is the new version of my 2014 15”, is £400 more than I paid. I really don’t think that’s too bad. But my SSD is still battling on, so I’ll wait.

Don't get me wrong I rate these new machine, but none replaceable storage is just 5hithouse obsolescence. I've run a bunch of very high spec laptops over the last 15 years, never had an ssd in a daily driver last 5 years.

Jees what you doing to them? I have had 3 (cheap) sata ssds die on me in ever this was early ones where trim was an issue. I have ssds here old than my kids.

ZHzuzv9.jpg

iRight

advertisement

Back