advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, liked The Squid Game a lot.

Though not sure that I should’ve found it quite as hilarious as I did.
Oh, it's definitely played for laughs in places, as well as being dark and creepy.

I wonder if abrupt tonal shifts are a South Korean thing. One outstanding example is the film, The Wailing, which has moments of absurd slapstick (think Keystone Cops) while also being one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. The ending in particular evokes a visceral sense of helplessness in the face of evil.

Will watch that later once I finish Black Spot.

Wonder if there’s a Sex Ed 4 coming, love how it’s mashed together a vibe with Breakfast Club/UK Schooling/80’s/Modern Era Tech/Old Cars so you’re not really sure exactly where or when it’s set.

I hope so, stylistically it's an odd mix, some great songs used as well.

Oh, it's definitely played for laughs in places, as well as being dark and creepy.

I wonder if abrupt tonal shifts are a South Korean thing. One outstanding example is the film, The Wailing, which has moments of absurd slapstick (think Keystone Cops) while also being one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. The ending in particular evokes a visceral sense of helplessness in the face of evil.
Yes, I seem to remember a Keystone Cops moment in the film Parasite too?

I don’t have Netflix anymore but did manage to binge watch Countdown at a fa,ily members, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it if you are a fan of Space X etc.

I bought the three part mini series Children of Dune on Prime Video last week as a HD stream and omg, it's one of the worst programmes ever! I know this is a recommended thread but sometimes it's worth stating the Avoided movies etc as well. Just terrible, and thank goodness it only cost ten pence or I'd have demanded a refund!
before anyone else wastes more than a few seconds of their life watching it.

71h8JsmxatL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Don't know if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I've just finished watching The Vietnam War for the second time, a documentary series put out in 2017 documenting the war in detail. Just excellent. May well have been posted on the thread before.

It's 10 episodes, each nearly 2 hours long - 18 hrs in total, so a very long haul for a documentary. Detailed, harrowing, superbly produced and brought tears to my eyes often.

I've often enjoyed films about the Vietnam war - Deerhunter, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, FMJ etc are all great and venerated movies. This is the real story, the White House recordings are terrifying, but I sadly find myself unsurprised by them given what's afoot now.

Simple comparisons with Afghanistan are rather depressing in hindsight...

Just watched ‘Forgotten Battle’ on Netflix. Partly subtitled, but if you appreciate a gritty war film this won’t disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back