advertisement

David Amess MP stabbed in Leigh-On-Sea

At the risk of repeating the popular stereotype, my sister-in-law is a pro-hunting, anti 'political correctness' Daily Mail reader. When I brought up the news of the recent murder of Jo Cox her response was "Well, she was a trouble maker, wasn't she?".

This casual hatred and dehumanising of those with whom we do not agree is NOT limited to the Right. Left or Right, the extremes (increasingly merging toward the old Centre) attract people who lack a calm sense of who-they-are and who seek solidity in being not who-they-aren't.

Having spent an unhealthy amount of time, self-congratulatorily, marvelling at the Bizarro world of Trump supporters I recently took a tour around The Spectator, Telegraph and Mail. We live in different worlds.
Very true. This is something currently being made worse by social media. It’s a ticking time bomb, people don’t realise what they’re doing. It can only get worse.

Aged 14 he was taken to a special school.
Last heard of him aged 25. He'd been in a drugs gang in Nottingham, got caught, turned Queens to lower his sentence, went to prison. Came out and uncharacteristically foolishly returned to small home town. The rest I read vin the paper. The gang found him and broke into his flat to do him some serious harm. His girlfriend got a bit roughed up, fortunately nothing worse. He escaped, jumped out of a window and legged it. This was aged 25, not heard of him since. I don't want to.

So your father was right!

Utterly bizarre target for assassination. I don't agree with much of his politics or his moral perspective, but he seemed a decent and principled man. Anti foxhunting and founder of the all party group on endometriosis.

Very obviously neither terrorism or political assassination, but yet another victim of that lethal combination of superstition and psychotic delusion.

The Horrible Raab has said there may be a need for private companies to provide security for MPs. Didn't take long for a new money making idea to surface....

The Horrible Raab has said there may be a need for private companies to provide security for MPs. Didn't take long for a new money making idea to surface....

Given we can't recruit enough police to meet current demand, who else is going to provide regulated security if it's needed? Enthusiastic amateurs?

I don't know exactly what he has in mind, but it might, rather, be a way of not giving extra work to the police. It all depends, I suppose, on where the money to pay the private security companies comes from.

Hired goons, appropriately Mugabe-esque.

latest

Hired goons, appropriately Mugabe-esque.

Lol. Hired regulated goons from G4S, Mitie, Securitas, Loomis et al protecting MPs of every political party.

What's your solution? Further overburden the police? Hope everyone just gets along and doesn't stab any more MPs? MPs adopt the US approach to things and stop holding surgeries?

Hiring private security is probably the only way of doing this.

They already do, I turned on the BBC news channel on Saturday on seeing this thread as I had missed the news on Friday night. There was an interview with a security consultant who provides advice and other services to MPs, he said while many security measures were on offer to MPs not all of them were interested in taking the various security measures on offer.

Given we can't recruit enough police to meet current demand, who else is going to provide regulated security if it's needed? Enthusiastic amateurs?

Didn't the Govt cut budgets and get rid of thousands of Police not long ago ? I'm sure this will end up costing more. And be armed ?

What's your solution? Further overburden the police? Hope everyone just gets along and doesn't stab any more MPs? MPs adopt the US approach to things and stop holding surgeries?

It is a trace risk. Jo Cox was killed for the views she held by a far-right political terrorist. The only political murder victim since the days of the IRA/UDF etc. David Amess, it would appear, was killed by an Islamist nutter, just as were the people who died at the Ariana Grande Manchester gig, on London Bridge, on the Tube and busses on 7/11 etc. Are you saying everyone should have a bodyguard? Where do I get mine? To my mind the political classes should just STFU and get on with doing a job that already pays best part of three times the national average wage plus huge expenses as-is. Stop trying to waste even more of our money and using any excuse to ramp up state authoritarianism. If they don’t like being in the public spotlight then they shouldn’t take the money. David Amess is no different or better than anyone else who died at the hands of religious terrorism. It is what it is, a very, very minor risk factor in modern life that we all face. Like everyone else I’m upset about his death, but he’s no different to any of the Manchester Arena victims or anyone else. Religious terrorism, like all terrorism sucks, but it is sadly part of human reality.

Would private security guards be allowed to carry guns etc.I thought they had no more right to carry guns etc than any member of the public (even if they do like to dress to intimidate in semi paramilitary style "uniforms") What could possibly go wrong - as the saying goes !.
Before you know it they'll all be wearing Brown Shirts

Strange that when it comes to Tory project to fund the private sector that no questions are asked about where the money comes from. It is only public services that need to be costed it seems.

It is a trace risk. Jo Cox was killed for the views she held by a far-right political terrorist. The only political murder victim since the days of the IRA/UDF etc. David Amess, it would appear, was killed by an Islamist nutter, just as were the people who died at the Ariana Grande Manchester gig, on London Bridge, on the Tube and busses on 7/11 etc.

Not sure why you make the distinction between a "political" murder and "Islamist" murder. Murder is murder. I suggest that David Amess was targeted because he was a politician, a public figure, and not your average Joe.

Are you saying everyone should have a bodyguard? Where do I get mine?

From the same place they'll get theirs from, a security firm. Your money will be as good as theirs.

To my mind the political classes should just STFU and get on with doing a job that already pays best part of three times the national average wage plus huge expenses as-is. Stop trying to waste even more of our money and using any excuse to ramp up state authoritarianism.

If you want to ramp up authoritarianism, isolate the political classes even further from those who vote them in. It means they have even less empathy for those they make the laws for.

If they don’t like being in the public spotlight then they shouldn’t take the money.

Let's assume you get your way and MPs don't get the security nor the money. What do you think will happen? Well, the death threats will almost certainly continue and probably scare off a lot of people who would consider a career as an MP meaning the only ones who stay in the game are either happy to take the risk going it alone (unlikely) and only those with the money to afford their own "hired goons" or can find some suitably beefy mates (like the EDL do) or, for fear of going full Godwin, create their own security force. Not necessarily the types you want in those jobs.

David Amess is no different or better than anyone else who died at the hands of religious terrorism. It is what it is, a very, very minor risk factor in modern life that we all face. Like everyone else I’m upset about his death, but he’s no different to any of the Manchester Arena victims or anyone else. Religious terrorism, like all terrorism sucks, but it is sadly part of human reality.

You need to separate the job from the person. Like it or not, a politician has a job that is more important than ours and the consequences of them being targeted will be much higher than if you or I to be killed. Therefore, they need a bit more protection than us.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back