advertisement

Sarfend - a city?

This is all just getting a little too surreal...complete and utter madness.

I know there has been long a campaign to make Southend a city.

So...what defines a city these days. When I were a kid - it is always - you had to have a cathedral. Except now you don't. Apart from a leeetle bit of status - is there anything to being a city these days. I guess you get to put new livery on the buses.

As a nearby resident, the mind boggles - if it results in much needed investment and improvement, then great - but otherwise it's just daft.

Does St David’s get more income by virtue of being a city, than say Bolton for being a town?

Does St David’s get more income by virtue of being a city, than say Bolton for being a town?

Nothing official benefits-wise but from 2011 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482

Dr Steve Musson, from the University of Reading, has been researching the economic impact of city status on the UK's eight newest cities. Preston, Newport, Stirling, Lisburn and Newry were made cities in 2002, while Brighton & Hove, Wolverhampton and Inverness gained the status in 2000.

Although the whole of the UK was enjoying an economic boom, the new cities, with the exception of Wolverhampton, outperformed their regional counterparts in terms of increasing investment and reducing unemployment.

"The other advantages, less easy to quantify, are the international exposure and the buzz created. There is an element of pride about becoming a city."

I think that would qualify as gentrification.

It does have this as it's got a peer (sp). It's a town, looks like a town, smells like a town and is a bit 'down' town. Really cannot see any justification for elevated status, if that's what a jumped-up city now represents. Sheerness, across the water, can apply. It's not only a seaside resort; it's also the last resort! Its only claim to fame is having a train not stop at the station; it's a terminus and (I vaguely remember) the engine went through the station and into the high street

Anyway, if Sarfend wants a cathedral, we've got two; collection only though.

If Southend does become a city then it will just encourage the likes of Rhyl to follow, mind you Rhyl will have to go from 5hithole to sewer then hovel and finally dump before it makes it to town status.

I know there has been long a campaign to make Southend a city.

So...what defines a city these days. When I were a kid - it is always - you had to have a cathedral. Except now you don't. Apart from a leeetle bit of status - is there anything to being a city these days. I guess you get to put new livery on the buses.
yes apparently David spent years campaigning for it to be a city

I’m sure he was a nice guy, judging by the eulogies, but perhaps he could have spent his energies on other things, like addressing poverty.

advertisement

Back