advertisement

Where to start with Tannoys ?

Best performance to size for the 12" HPD, K 3128 and Gold 12R is in the range of 90 to 125L ported, above that the law of diminishing returns kicks in-I wouldn't go above 120L Balmoral which is pretty much as good as it gets imho.
Ian's/Fraser's boxes are 95L I think and do work well against a wall. If you could go for wide(r) and shallow then I'd opt for the 15" HPD Mansfield, I've had a few through my hands and really liked them.
12" HPD Chatsworths are another good bet and may well satisfy the 'narrow' requirement.

I was talking about Stirling SE being taller and narrower than TW that I have.

I had Chatsworth, sold them as they didn’t really work in my small room. Took them to gf’s to wrap and wallop, they were magic hence me buying another pair of 12” golds in dodgy cabinets.

Stirling TW came along at an offer I couldn’t refuse, the idea now is I have working speakers while I build something for golds.
A roundtuit if I ever saw one.

I was thinking more Lancasters etc than Lockwoods. To my eyes they look great in a room, you can stack a load of books or whatever on top, even have shelves above them. In real terms they take up *way* less room real estate than say a pair of LS3/5As, ProAc 1SCs, Kef LS50s or whatever plonked on stands well away from boundaries as they require.

I agree with this, and happily my better half is pretty much in agreement these days. Lancasters are obviously pretty wide but they're quite shallow and arguably have less going on visually than small speakers atop stands with multiple legs and cables hanging down the back.

Hi, i have a pair of tannoy 3lz 10 inch gold in original cabinets to try, lot of people knock these as being bright
and not as good sounding as other vintage tannoys, any opinions please, i am using rogers export monitors
at the moment, regards, peter

Hi, i have a pair of tannoy 3lz 10 inch gold in original cabinets to try, lot of people knock these as being bright
and not as good sounding as other vintage tannoys, any opinions please, i am using rogers export monitors
at the moment, regards, peter

I can't comment directly on 3LZ but from my experience I think you'll find a very different presentation between the Rogers and Tannoys, so you may have to allow time to adjust between them. Some years ago I spent a lot of time swapping between pairs of Rogers Studio 1 and Tannoy Devon trying to decide which I preferred (the Devons eventually won out, just). Then several years later repeated the exercise with another pair of Studio 1 against some Cheviots, and this time I kept the Studio 1s. I'm now using a pair of 12" Lancasters but could easily go back to the Rogers (again).

The Rogers will be smoother up top and dig a fair bit deeper, but certainly lack some bite in the mids compared to the Tannoys. So yeah I think you will find the 3LZ a little bass light compared to the Rogers, but you might find that they may make up for in other areas.

advertisement

Back