advertisement

Faulty EGR valve

Yup, me too. Especially if you’ve driven one! Don’t get me wrong I guess in certain places they have their purpose, just a bit rough on the road for me!

I had to travel from Marham in Norfolk to the Lakes back in the 80s in a SWB lightweight Land Rover to search the wreckage of a Tornado/Jaguar mid-air collision. An extremely unpleasant experience, even in my mid 20s, especially as I was in the back with the baggage. Never again.

ETA: it was me who found the crash recorder! (Black box)

Land Rovers / Range Rovers, it remains a mystery to me exactly what the attraction is to these beasts!
Because they look nice, even though they are horrible to drive. The pleasure is in the owning, less so the using. Unless of course you have a farm.

Before it was delivered he had arranged to meet the delivery guy at a local garage where it could be pressure washed on the trailer then delivered home which was a good idea.
I think the plan is check the engine first, see if it’ll run with fresh fuel. He installed two rsj’s In his garage and has a couple of winches so he can relatively easily pull the body off and the properly review the chassis.
The outriggers are toast in some places but who knows what’s left elsewhere. If it needs a new chassis and bulkhead then so be it, he’s quite philosophical about the project and he’ll do what’s required.
Back in the day we had oxyacetylene at the house but I suspect in 2021 there may be H&S restrictions on such practices:D:D!

Last edited:
Before it was delivered he had arranged to meet the delivery guy at a local garage where it could be pressure washed on the trailer then delivered home which was a good idea.
I think the plan is check the engine first, see if it’ll run with fresh fuel. He installed two rsj’s In his garage and has a couple of winches so he can relatively easily pull the body off and the properly review the chassis.
The outriggers are toast in some places but who knows what’s left elsewhere. If it needs a new chassis and bulkhead then so be it, he’s quite philosophical about the project and he’ll do what’s required.
Back in the day we had oxyacetylene at the house but I suspect in 2021 there may be H&S restrictions on such practices:D:D!
You can still get oxy acet at home. Contract with BOC, maybe notify insurer, done. You can get Hobbygas, small quantities without contract.
Things have also moved on, you can get inductive bolt heaters for loose change now. Safer, very localised heat, easy. I didn't have either when I did my 2CV 15 years ago, just used an angle grinder on the rusty, seized fasteners. I wasn't going to reuse them, so any rusty ones just got cut off.

Some great points there Steve, I’ll pass that on. He mentioned that various suppliers now supply bolt kits the whole vehicle which as you mention means you don’t have to be precious about removing awkward ones!
He’s buying a large compressor so most air tools should be available should he wish.

Last edited:
Some great points there Steve, I’ll pass that on. He mentioned that various suppliers now supply bolt kits the whole vehicle which as you mention means you don’t have to be precious about removing awkward ones?
He’s buying a large compressor so most air tools should be available should he wish.
Not a bad scheme. Even if you don't buy a bolt kit it's easy to get a selection box from somewhere like Namrick and just cut them to length. That's all I ever do. Wrt compressors etc, I'd choose a cordless impact driver these days. Times move on.

Our 2.25 did 15 mpg. Also when the fuel gauge pointed at "E" it really did mean empty. Several people including myself ran dry ☹️.
A schoolmate of mine ran a S2 as student, or just after. He used to drive it from Aberystwyth to Lincoln to visit his parents, returning under 20 mpg. I always reckoned he could have hired a car for the weekend and saved the cost in fuel, and done it in less time and without going deaf. I never drove it, but I did drive a S3 as a student on a farm job. It was a worse drive than the 1942 Ferguson tractor that was my other set of wheels.

Because they look nice, even though they are horrible to drive. The pleasure is in the owning, less so the using. Unless of course you have a farm.

loads of big Range Rovers and Land Rovers here, but only in the city. Out in the sticks where I live where a 4x4 would actually be useful, hardly any. Farmers round here tend to drive Subaru 4 wheel drive things.

I remember my brother calling upon the services if his then very young son to change the headlamp bulb in his mk4 Golf tdi 150. It was never going to happen with adult size hands unless I suspect if you removed the light assembly or even the bumper!

You also need a 10 year old Gynaecologist to change the spark plugs on a Subaru.

advertisement

Back