advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the above is all very well, but Guy Verhofstadt drives an Aston Martin, which makes the EU the anti-christ.

Strangely, I would have thought a Brexiteer would have been delighted to see great British vehicles (owned by a consortium of overseas investment houses btw) being sold to the EU, but EV has his own twisted logic as he demonstrates at length, post by post

EV can't bring himself to be pro anyone or anything to do with the EU. Too traumatic.

^ I love the last words in politico article: 'as good a deal as the UK had with the EU.' He better not repeat that truth again or he will upset people.

All of the above is all very well, but Guy Verhofstadt drives an Aston Martin, which makes the EU the anti-christ.

Strangely, I would have thought a Brexiteer would have been delighted to see great British vehicles (owned by a consortium of overseas investment houses btw) being sold to the EU, but EV has his own twisted logic as he demonstrates at length, post by post

In a way, whether the EU is actually an evil or not is a separate issue. The fact is that a populist campaign of lies, half truths, stereotyping, smearing and playing to outdated imperialist nostalgia enabled the single greatest constitutional and economic rupture of our lifetimes. I am extremely annoyed about that.

The momentum for Brexit did not come from a long and detailed analysis of the pros and cons of EU membership for UK residents, from a lengthy period of citizen engagement in the real issues and an understanding of our role in the EU. It came from a few spivs and their newspaper hacks talking utter shite. They are now free to suck the wealth out of our country, unexamined and unaccountable.
Our government has demonstrated complete contempt for the people of this country.

I'm not convinced that they could *find* Grimsby. Even if they did they'd probably be hanged, like the poor unfortunate monkey in hartlepool that nobody could understand "so it has to be a Frenchman" .
Nope, they made it manager of the town's football team.

60115188938cf302e2a9054a80f2ea5b6392fde4.jpeg

Colin, I'd try to avoid the temptation to make facile remarks like that, because every time you do it simply exposes your own vacuity of thought and analysis. Disagree with me by all means, but try to construct an argument out of more than just childish, and inaccurate, insults.

Colin, I'd try to avoid the temptation to make facile remarks like that, because every time you do it simply exposes your own vacuity of thought and analysis. Disagree with me by all means, but try to construct an argument out of more than just childish, and inaccurate, insults.[/.

Having someone point out some of your bizarre assertions and prejudices really irks you doesn’t it. You’ve already proved you don’t pay a blind bit of attention to anyone else’s opinion, so why bother trying to argue with a brick wall

I doubt he would have had an answer to that either. Two EU countries with HWHP economies? Impossible.

In Scotland we are increasingly looking to comparisons with Nordic countries rather than mainland Europe. (Stavanger is about the same distance from Glasgow as London) The Nordics seem to have a quality of life, trust in institutions, social equality and social security that are worth aspiring to. They also have a very similar geography, weather and topography to Scotland. We can look at pictures of Norway or Sweden and imagine ourselves living there.

Using France/Germany as comparators is understandable when you live in the South East UK.

Very well worth a watch all the way through, I only recently discovered Danny Dorling, this is one of his best, brilliant:

That is a good video. Quite instructive. I don't think I fully realised the extent to which so many people wanted to leave the EU. It was never really "a thing" in Scotland. (At least in my own wee bubble!)

The end section about "just becoming a normal European country" struck a real chord with me. That's exactly what so many pro-Scottish independence supporters want; just to be a normal north european country, with a normal democracy, normal levels of public spending and social security. Not "Exceptional", "World Beating", "Naturally Gifted", "Innately Resourceful" or any other Boris shite.

Having someone point out some of your bizarre assertions and prejudices really irks you doesn’t it. You’ve already proved you don’t pay a blind bit of attention to anyone else’s opinion, so why bother trying to argue with a brick wall

You haven't 'pointed out' anything, you've just made some random, completely unsupported statement simply because you done like what I say.

In Scotland we are increasingly looking to comparisons with Nordic countries rather than mainland Europe. (Stavanger is about the same distance from Glasgow as London) The Nordics seem to have a quality of life, trust in institutions, social equality and social security that are worth aspiring to. They also have a very similar geography, weather and topography to Scotland. We can look at pictures of Norway or Sweden and imagine ourselves living there.

I can’t imagine many Scotts would be happy to pay £7.50 for not even a full pint of heavy though (that’s the price for 0.5L of lager in Norway). I was going to say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but I suspect both countries receive sufficient rain for the colour of local vegetation not to be a major concern.

I can’t imagine many Scotts would be happy to pay £7.50 for not even a full pint of heavy though (that’s the price for 0.5L of lager in Norway). I was going to say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but I suspect both countries receive sufficient rain for the colour of local vegetation not to be a major concern.
Little bit simplistic that answer though don’t you think?
It’s also illegal to serve a double shot of shorts.
£7.50 is actually cheap for Norway as well! (400ml / 600ml)
Then look at the level of alcohol abuse / problems caused by it.
Their tax is extraordinary compared to the UK.
Then look at social provision, elderly care, homelessness etc.
Totally incomparable to the UK IMO.
Still a very wealthy country with its oil revenue, unlike the UK.

Little bit simplistic that answer though don’t you think?
It’s also illegal to serve a double shot of shorts.
£7.50 is actually cheap for Norway as well! (400ml / 600ml)
Then look at the level of alcohol abuse / problems caused by it.
Their tax is extraordinary compared to the UK.
Then look at social provision, elderly care, homelessness etc.
Totally incomparable to the UK IMO.
Still a very wealthy country with its oil revenue, unlike the UK.

If Norway is such a great place to live why do they:

1. eat whales blubber for breakfast
2. always get Nil Points in the Eurovision Song Contest
3. have the highest suicide in the world

Furthermore, a few observations. As this is the Brexit thread and the OP was contrasting the apparent shiteness of a UK country like Scotland with the loveliness of an EU country such as Norway:

1. Scotland has had a devolved parliament for twenty years with powers to fix many of the ills you cite
2. Norway is not in the EU

Hardly the point. The UK is falling behind on a range of measures especially the health and wellbeing of our population. This has been the case for many years, as we refuse to face the consequences of post imperial decline which picked up speed under Thatcher's de-industrialisation, sell off of national infrastructure and subsequent lack of investment in anything that doesn't make a fast easy buck for a minority.

Instead of facing these issues the UK government has decided, under the joint delusion of exceptionalism and entitlement, to deflect attention while stamping on the accelerator to further decline.

Matthew Syed's measured (it's not all about funding) but disturbing Dispatches analysis offers a lot of information that run counter to the accepted wisdom surrounding the funding and performance of the beloved NHS - surely at the heart of a nation's wellbeing. Many of us who spend time in Europe will have noticed how medical services have fallen behind in recent years. This programme is not just about the funding, which is woeful compared to comparable neighbours, but also about the complacency of those of us not directly impacted - yet.

That's before you even touch the scandel that is undermined social care and public services.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/clapped-out-is-the-nhs-broken-dispatches

He doesn't like to be held accountable. Classic Boris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back