advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Nice ride today only 16 miles so pretty short, but around 1500ft climbing. We are lucky here we have lots of bike lanes and generally drivers are courteous to riders. Need though to get better at the 1 mile category 4 climb near the end - my wife kicks my butt, my excuse is she is 10 years younger and probably 40 lbs lighter :)

You might have misunderstood me woodie, I’ve been a passionate cyclist for over 30 years and defensive to the abuse and poor driving from many drivers including Audis, there are many cyclists particularly when 2 or more are together with an FU attitude.
No, I think I understood you perfectly & I respectfully disagree. Yet to meet these cyclists you talk of despite being in a club & a regular participant in group riding. Riding two a breast is not a FU attitude, it is generally the safest way to cycle in a group.

I found myself lining up at a traffic light stop line alongside a single-decker bus the other day. I was there a good 20 seconds by myself when the bus pulled up right alongside me so that we were both side-by-side on the line, as it were. I was obviously quicker at moving off when the lights changed but it became clear straight away that the bus driver was committed to overtaking me on the junction so I backed out of it as I didn't want to get squeezed between the bus and the pavement after the junction.

In fairness, the junction is probably about 20m across so there's a gap to pull off that move if you're driving a car, but it was an aggressive/inconsiderate move for a bus. It just so happens I wasn't in a rush so I had no inclination to compete with the bus to keep it behind me just for the sake of it. But it was a disappointing encounter considering bus drivers are 'professional' road users. Fwiw, isn't an advanced stop line at this junction.
Bus drivers are a mixed bunch, stressful job & not that well paid. I've had a few negative encounters with them, best to expect the worst & live to tell the tale.

No, I think I understood you perfectly & I respectfully disagree. Yet to meet these cyclists you talk of despite being in a club & a regular participant in group riding. Riding two a breast is not a FU attitude, it is generally the safest way to cycle in a group.

Especially on narrow roads to make cars slow down and not push through where there really isn't room. I know some still will but generally it helps...

First club ride in 20+ years yesterday. 68.5 miles and 3900 ft of climbing all at a pretty decent clip, so it was a bit of a trial by fire. Just pleased to survive it. Disappointed that the "we wait for mechanicals" turned out to be bullshit as my friend flatted (twice !) 30+ miles from home and the group just rode off into the distance. At least I know what to expect for the future. My friend and I made it back, somewhat delayed, but only down a couple of CO2 cartridges.

First club ride in 20+ years yesterday. 68.5 miles and 3900 ft of climbing all at a pretty decent clip, so it was a bit of a trial by fire. Just pleased to survive it. Disappointed that the "we wait for mechanicals" turned out to be bullshit as my friend flatted (twice !) 30+ miles from home and the group just rode off into the distance. At least I know what to expect for the future. My friend and I made it back, somewhat delayed, but only down a couple of CO2 cartridges.
That’s pretty poor etiquette. Standing around & laughing at others misfortune is part of the club ride experience;)

That’s pretty poor etiquette. Standing around & laughing at others misfortune is part of the club ride experience;)

I remember a mountain bike group ride with Cambridge cycling club, back in the mid 90s when I was living in Cambridge (UK) and the council had trimmed some thorny bushes along a bridleway causing just about everyone in the group to flat. At least we had company.

And after they have failed with their tyre levers taking over and fixing it for them just using your hands, seen it done many times and managed it myself sometimes!

Yeah it's becoming a problem.

I doubt I could remove and replace my current tyres roadside if the sealant didn't work.

If I was heading for the wild yonder, I would have to give some thought to using different tyres.

Even doing it at home requires metal levers and a special scissor-like pair of tongs to refit.

Yeah it's becoming a problem.

I doubt I could remove and replace my current tyres roadside if the sealant didn't work.

If I was heading for the wild yonder, I would have to give some thought to using different tyres.

Even doing it at home requires metal levers and a special scissor-like pair of tongs to refit.

Have you tried using tubeless tyre sealing plugs? they work brilliantly and I think it would be unlikely that the tyre would need removing unless there is a huge sidewall gash or something similar.

Never had to plug a bike tyre so far, but have done once on a motorcycle tyre.

However, I don't even carry a pump these days, because I'm never that far from a petrol station airline.

I should really get some plugs and some CO2 cylinders.

I still think we’re talking cross purposes as I’m not disagreeing with your post. Pattern of life has stopped me club riding regularly for most of my riding life and I hate to make commitments I can’t keep but hoping to make it work now, I’m going along to Ditton Velo for a Saturday ride shortly and hoping to make it work regularly. My intention is the slower chattier level as my head down power years are long gone.

Nice cycle out before work this morning, still mild & enjoyed the usual stunning scenery around Strines & Burbage. Had a rather odd encounter with a Land Rover driver who attempted to overtake a cyclist who was going down the hill I was climbing; he/she didn’t appear to see me until I waved. Thankfully I was spotted & driver pulled into his own lane.

Today is test day at end of a 12 week training programme on Zwift. I have managed most of the workouts, averaging over 5 hours a week. I did have a week off with some spins around Sherwood Pines and skipped some workouts in the last couple of weeks as the level of effort was getting too much. I completed Alpe du Zwift on Sunday, but it took me 80 minutes.

My FTP was pretty feeble 205 watts at the beginning of the programme. This was after 15 months of trying to get fit after a major brain op. The furthest I had ridden was 40k and rarely managed more than 4 hours a week without having to take a week or so off to recover.

I have also been building up walking. I used to cycle in and out of Manchester every day but now my morning commute is a vigorous walk with the dog, usually incorporating at least a mile, sometimes 2, of steady uphill trudge up the steep sections of Winter Hill and march back down again as fast as I can.

Not sure what I will get with my test later but I definitely feel stronger and looking forward to trying it out in the mud again.

FTP 240w -although held just under 250 for the whole 20mins of the test and finished stronger unlike last time when I declined quite sharply after 10 minutes. Quite pleased, now if I could just lose the additional 10kg I've acquired!

Did 38 miles and 4.3Kft of climbing on the e-Whyte today, with my mate on his Trek Rail. Disappointed with the range... only 1 mile left at the end and we did a lot of pedalling!

One thing the reviews don't tell you is that the "extended boost" is a PITA on singletrack corners and technical climbs. This VAG turbo diesel characteristic cause you to overshoot corners on the former and disturbs balance on the latter. For going straight up randomly rocky climbs is great, but I wish there was an option to turn it off.

The Whyte is also rather obese. I've nicknamed her "Rosie", as in "Whole lotta". I wish I could have got a Trek, it's lighter and has a more compact and nimble feel. It still has the turbo lag though. Maybe a Shimano motored bike would have been better?

Despite all the above, these bikes make it possible to explore new trails and enjoy different types of riding. Great fun overall.

FTP 240w -although held just under 250 for the whole 20mins of the test and finished stronger unlike last time when I declined quite sharply after 10 minutes. Quite pleased, now if I could just lose the additional 10kg I've acquired!
Well done. 250W is a lot. I'm not sure I could sustain that for 20 min, and I'm well. As regards weight, get well first. Once well, 10kg will take 4-5 months to get off, without having to try too hard and having a day off once a week to have a few drinks, a cake, whatever.

advertisement

Back