advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it probably is.
The reason I say that is because hospital numbers are now at their lowest level in France for the last 12 months at around 6.5k.
I seem to remember hospital numbers in the UK during the summer went down to a few hundred for quite a while and I can't remember them ever getting anywhere near France's peak of 33k last winter.

Pourquoi le nombre de malades entre les données de Santé Publique France et celles des hôpitaux est si différent. Notre décryptage - Nice-Matin (nicematin.com)

Freedom Day.
yZ2LdMp.jpg

“During a visit to a Nissan plant in Sunderland, the prime minister told reporters: ‘I know how impatient people are to get back to total normality, as indeed am I”.
…and the Covid Recovery Group on his backbenches insisted it would be ‘irreversible’.

Helpful from the FT’s John Burn-Murdoch on differences between UK and Europe:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1449801652207239176?s=21

The point he made about Israel seems interesting. And probably boosters will reduce the numbers to French levels.

That would also explain why all of the July models calculated at least as many cases as we actually have -- they built in vaccine waning.

And we really shouldn’t be surprised by this. In July we saw cases in Israel among double-vaxxed rise at the same rate as unvaxxed, and severe cases climb too. Israel was about 3 months ahead of UK in vax rollout, and we’re now about 3 months on from July.

Problem sorted. Next. . . The Pink Line.

Read the preceding post. Regarding “for some time now”- here are the relative death rates for “the some time now” period.

Give or take 6 weeks? The question is why followed by why it doesn't seem to reach the news? I genuinely want to know. Spending a fair amount of time out of the UK currently I find the BBC online presents things in a different way to what I see on the TV when home. Maybe I miss things? I'm currently out at Hornsea 2 on a rock dumping vessel.

Regards

Richard

Give or take 6 weeks? The question is why followed by why it doesn't seem to reach the news? I genuinely want to know. Spending a fair amount of time out of the UK currently I find the BBC online presents things in a different way to what I see on the TV when home. Maybe I miss things? I'm currently out at Hornsea 2 on a rock dumping vessel.

Regards

Richard
Because you personally haven’t seen an expression of concern from government means that concern doesn’t exist. Got it.

I think it probably is.
The reason I say that is because hospital numbers are now at their lowest level in France for the last 12 months at around 6.5k.
I seem to remember hospital numbers in the UK during the summer went down to a few hundred for quite a while and I can't remember them ever getting anywhere near France's peak of 33k last winter.
Edit: UK numbers infact peaked well above the 33k in France but I got the bit about the very low numbers in summer right.;)

It won't be too far off. France has more beds but the hospitals would soon burst if people were kept in for 2 or 3 times longer on average. What is clear is that there are big differences in how cases are counted between countries making comparisons very difficult. Death count to put it crudely is really the only comparator in the end.

Interesting and informative.
I attended a couple of gigs in London last month and the Jethro Tull one, in particular, was full of old farts (like myself).
I was one of a very few who wore a face covering throughout - that shocked me.
Unless you were wearing a face fitted FFP3, you were likely to have been protecting the crowd from your emissions but you were still highly susceptible to theirs as a standard mask traps your vapour droplets but isn't fine enough to stop other peoples aerosol from entering your respiratory tract. And I presume you weren't wearing goggles so your eyes could easily have been an opportunity for the virus to enter your body.

I was at my Surgery on Saturday mercifully getting my third Covid jab as an immuno compromised person and I was chatting to one of the doctors in the waiting room afterwards about the lax anti-covid measures present in the UK compared with Spain when a punter waiting for hi flu jab chimed in with the old trope that we just need to learn to live with it: his face covering was emblazoned with Leeds United FC.

Unless you were wearing a face fitted FFP3
I wasn't suggesting that I felt protected because I had a basic mask on just shocked that so many others in the same age profile as myself felt comfortable enough to be in a confined space with about 2,000 others for a couple of hours or more.Isn't protecting others what it's all about?
Mask wearing in France is still very strongly supported and indeed enforced.

I was at my Surgery on Saturday mercifully getting my third Covid jab as an immuno compromised person and I was chatting to one of the doctors in the waiting room afterwards about the lax anti-covid measures present in the UK compared with Spain when a punter waiting for hi flu jab chimed in with the old trope that we just need to learn to live with it: his face covering was emblazoned with Leeds United FC.

Glad you had your 3rd vaccine ok. I had a phonecall from the vaccination centre last wednesday with an appointment for the 3rd vaccine on sunday just gone. Sod's law that I've picked up a prolonged nasty cold type bug so can't have the jab until it's cleared. I've had to cancel my flu jab too.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your third jab. For info, mine was administered by a Doctor who asked quite a few questions and I had to say why I needed it, all of which was quite a different experience from my previous two occasions. Get well soon.

After over 2 weeks putting up with a sore throat from hell it is finally clearing with the help of antibiotics. Could have lasted that long because I'm immunosuppressed. I've stopped taking my immune suppressing med, but once a bug has got through our weakened immune systems they can be a bugger to shift according to my RA nurse. I've rearranged the 3rd vaccine for Nov 6. Bit of a wait but it is what it is. Yet to rebook a flu jab. I have a letter from my rheumatologist stating that I qualify for the 3rd primary vaccine...the vaccine centre has a copy as well. Look after yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back