advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the speed at which Chelsea won trophies after Abramovich took over won't be repeated.
Much fiercer competition now and of course Chelsea weren't exactly crap in the preceding years running up to the takeover.

Exactly. Same for City.

I just can't see the world's leading players choosing Newcastle over the 'big' teams

Gotta laugh at Mbappe’s response there.

I think if Newcastle can attract a top quality, well respected coach the rest will follow but it will, for sure, take time.

who'd want to live there for starters!! :D

Who'd want to live in Saudi?

Something they are world leaders in is starting with a blank sheet of paper and using their money to persuade people to; hold their nose, uproot and work hard, for a few years.

They new owners were sitting directly opposite us yesterday so it was interesting to imagine what they were thinking. You are best placed to appreciate the work of the Newcastle midfield and defence, as a unit, from the halfway line. The quality of the players and their coaches was all too easy to discern.

It would have taken a lot less than 90 minutes for them to understand and enjoy the blankness of the sheet of paper they are starting with.

Alright calm down.;)
I hate to labour the point but it was especially gratifying as I am pretty sure it was on Match of the Day and I was laid down on the turf beside the goal at the end where we scored our fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh goals.

Also, from memory Chelsea had that lanky streak of piss with a girls first name playing centre-forward who travelled to the northeast about as well as a pint of Watneys Red Top.

I copped some verbal abuse from a group of cool, post punk, Joy Divisionesque Chelsea fans as I was walking to the ground as a fifteen year old in my Rupert Bear flares sporting a David Cassidy feather cut.

who'd want to live there for starters!! :D
Many years ago my (Yorkshire) Mrs returned from the Women's toilets* in The Barley Mow and said "God I couldn't live up here: I can't stand the accent".
I laughed but my three fellow Geordie mates were momentarily dumbfounded.
One of them said "But what about my accent?"
To which she responded "You haven't got an accent; you're posh."
At which point I fell off my chair.
She was right mind - he was from Forest Hall. Not sure what my excuse is.

*full of shrieking "Hy-mans"

Can you just remind us all when it was that Liverpool were relegated ? Ah yes very current and relevant 1953 / 1954 season and just in case you did not know they did not return to the top flight until 1962 / 1963 when the one and only Bill Shankly was the manager , would hardly describe him as a Sugar Daddy but he was the real reason that we got promoted back and then went on to do great things . Much as Bill will always be my hero and made me happy for many years he has nothing to do with the current team or what we achieve . Newcastle will need some careful work and if they can find a Bill Shankly of their own then they will be fine . Sadly great men like him are not easy to find so they will have to find their own path .
Bill Shankly is one of the few managers to be in charge of a team who scored 6 goals away from home & still lost. Even then money counted & Liverpool had quite a lot of it.

Spurs were well worth the win yesterday. 2-3 flattered Newcastle.

Apparently, the fan who collapsed in the East Stand is doing well. The Spurs players deserve great credit for their actions. Harry Kane spoke really well after the game about it first and foremost. Top class.

I always knew it would be difficult yesterday, but despite a great start, we were again poor defensively and conceded another 3 goals. It should have been more. At the very least yesterday, Bruce should have tightened up at the back and made it difficult for us to concede. We now have 11 PL games before the January transfer window opens. We need to pickup some points before then so we aren't cut adrift. The coaching isn't working, so we need a change of approach. Bruce has to go.

The stats suggest that if we can sort our defensive problems, we can win some games, especially if Wilson and ASM are fit:

Played 8
Won 0
Drew 3
Lost 5

GF 10
GA 19 (worst in PL)
GD -9

PPG 0.38

We were in a bar in Turin in the build up to the Juve v NUFC game in the Champions League when same friend excitedly exclaimed "look at that flag!" It was a banner emblazoned with "Forest Hall Mags*". We all had our photos taken...happy days.

*pretty incongruous - think Didsbury/Wilmslow Reds or Chelsea....not sure it works for Chelsea.

The coaches to the ground got stoned by Torino fans thinking we were Juve Ultras - same strip.

Last edited:
Bill Shankly is one of the few managers to be in charge of a team who scored 6 goals away from home & still lost. Even then money counted & Liverpool had quite a lot of it.
I know but as has been pointed out so did other teams at that time have money and spent it Liverpool at this time never had a huge money advantage with which they could have bought any player and then kept on buying . And yes Liverpool was picked out and cited for ulterior reasons and not just as an example . It is being done on this thread constantly which is fine but a little predictable. So now due to your devastating comment regarding a single performance we need to review if Bill Shankly was a good manager ? Yeah right will just skip over what he won and what he set up and how he made Liverpool the club they were in the 70's and 80's and the League , FA Cup , CL , and Milk Cups that were won . If you are really saying that Bill was poor as a Manager then please enlighten me and every one else as to why .

No teams in the current PL are saints and they all have issues , Liverpool with US owners has no moral grounds to point out any faults in other clubs , we were also involved as one of the teams backing the Super League breakaway so no moral high ground either . But none of the other teams Spurs , Arsenal , Utd , City supporters should be throwing out any brick bats either they were all as guilty . Will now end any further comment on outside football as it is just playground name calling with no side having any right to castigate the other. Will try my best to stick to the football which so far for me has been outstanding . Having said that would love to hide behind off field antics tonight as i am not at all convinced that Liverpool will not get another good beating by a nicely rested Athletic side . Spanish League only too happy to give teams a rest if they ask because they are involved in CL and have South American players away , Premier League well do not even ask as there is no chance .

Looks like a harmless, tongue in cheek post has disappeared from a football thread where a bit of banter should be fine.

Just to be clear as the thread moves on, is it ok to post anything about Newcastle but not ok to joke about Liverpool?

Looks like a tongue in cheek post has disappeared.

Perhaps it was the 18 PL Teams that decided to take it down at last nights Emergency Meeting to temporary block Newcastle sponsorship deals:

Premier League clubs vote to block Newcastle sponsorship deals at emergency meeting | Newcastle United | The Guardian

Man City abstained. They had to really.

It is interesting that this is only temporary for one month at present whilst they look into it further. But where does this leave Man City with their present sponsorship arrangements?

Newcastle claim that legal advice say this is anti-competitive and unlawful. This might end up in the Courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back