advertisement

INTEGRATED SS AMP TO REPLACE VALVE AMP AND PHONO STAGE.

There's no indicator that it sounds better either, I do realise there's many supposedly 'British' or European products manufactured in China but I'll personally or knowingly not be buying any or encouraging others to do so.

You did ask why someone would and I gave you a reason. I cannot tell someone else what sounds better to them, in their room or their system. Us Brits sell 16% of global weaponry, destroying communities across the globe - we are not in any position to preach, on anything. Nevertheless, I respect your own opinions and values.

I belong to the 'we Brits' pedant group. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist this very common subject/object pronoun error)

I wonder what it is exactly that makes the o.p. (Mike) think that age or whatever should force what at best is likely to be a sideways step. If everything gels currently, don't even entertain it. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

At least, I've only contemplated swapping out my valved mono's for a s/s stereo chassis/mono's as I really believe that valves in the pre-amp section lend sth to the party. I experienced one hell of a change (=transformation) by going from NA 552 to EAR 912; with the bonus of superb phono stages too. Synergy may have played a small part but can't be the major reason.

Last edited:
You did ask why someone would and I gave you a reason. I cannot tell someone else what sounds better to them, in their room or their system. Us Brits sell 16% of global weaponry, destroying communities across the globe - we are not in any position to preach, on anything. Nevertheless, I respect your own opinions and values.

Yeah, I get that but A. I'm Irish. B. I'm not in the position to either buy or sell weapons or have any influence on those that do but I can choose when I personally buy other things to make a choice not to support a particular regime or country.

Went from EL34-based valve integrated via Macintosh MA2275 valve integrated to Luxman L590AX-II. Each very good, tbh had the Mac not proved to have questionable reliability I’d still be using it. But in most regards the Luxman is the best sounding, most accomplished amp I’ve owned, pre/power or integrated. It never sets a foot wrong. My only criticism was that it had no balanced output, but that no longer matters since I sold my headphone amp.

In-built phono stage is more than up to the job of Rega P8/Apheta 2, and as I said earlier today, this setup is better than 95% of my vinyl deserves (with the limitations almost always being things that no phono stage can ameliorate, such as bad mastering, production or pressings).

Based on my experience with Spendors, FWIW, the most significant SS factor for your Harbeth's sq is watts, lots of them, at least 100.

Why would anyone go from a Jadis valve integrated to Prima Luna ( made in China) integrated valve amp?

Auto-Biasing, as I mentioned for one, and has a phono stage. OP wants to remove faff and include a phone stage. Simples.

And they sound better. I am the indicator, having owned both.

Couldn't give a damn where its manufacturered personally.

I do realise there's many supposedly 'British' or European products manufactured in China but I'll personally or knowingly not be buying any or encouraging others to do so.

Cool don't then!

Thanks for all the replies.

In view of some of the advice here, and after further thought, I've decided on the "do nothing" option, and to leave things as they are for the time being.

The only real faff with my present system is manually biasing the Jadis Orchestra, and that's only necessary about once a year or when changing power tubes, and I've got it down to a fine art so not really a problem.

Yeah, I get that but A. I'm Irish. B. I'm not in the position to either buy or sell weapons or have any influence on those that do but I can choose when I personally buy other things to make a choice not to support a particular regime or country.

Lol, you must live in a cave, not have a phone, or any product with a PCB in it. Get real.

Auto-Biasing, as I mentioned for one, and has a phono stage. OP wants to remove faff and include a phone stage. Simples.

That's purely a matter of opinion.

I have owned, and still own, several Jadis amps and have owned several Prima Luna amps. I prefer the Jadis sound.

That's purely a matter of opinion.

I have owned, and still own, several Jadis amps and have owned several Prima Luna amps. I prefer the Jadis sound.

Of course it is, It's purely a subjective pov, as sound is, thats why the comment from Darren was pretty ridiculous, everyone knows sound is subjective and is a matter of opinion, however, as an indicator, I indicate they are better, you indicate they are not, thats how subjectivity works, its not rocket science :) .. he also had not read the reasons for the what you mentioned requiring a change and went off on anti-China rhetoric for some reason.

The build quality in PL far exceeds Jadis, imo..

Couldn't give a damn where its manufacturered personally.

Cool don't then!

I assume you own Prima Luna now then.

You may not give a damn but I do and I'm not on my own.

Obviously you're a bit wound up by my comments but I'm going to always try to encourage folks not to buy Chinese where a choice is available.

Of course it is, It's purely a subjective pov, as sound is, thats why the comment from Darren was pretty ridiculous, everyone knows sound is subjective and is a matter of opinion, however, as an indicator, I indicate they are better, you indicate they are not, thats how subjectivity works, its not rocket science :) .. he also had not read the reasons for the what you mentioned requiring a change and went off on anti-China rhetoric for some reason.

The build quality in PL far exceeds Jadis, imo..
I agree that PL stuff is well built, and they are very decent sounding amps and I could live with one, I just happen to prefer the Jadis family sound. I'd have to agree that some early Jadis kit was decidedly iffy as regards soldering etc. but they seem to have got that sorted now so , "you pays your money and takes your choice" . As I'm sure you know already, PL and Jadis have the same UK importer/distributor, or at least they did last time I looked, which may or may not signify something :)

All things being equal - and they never quite are, are they? - I'd prefer not to buy Chinese made kit, but that's a political/social/personal thing, and another whole can of worms.

I assume you own Prima Luna now then.

You may not give a damn but I do and I'm not on my own.

Obviously you're a bit wound up by my comments but I'm going to always try to encourage folks not to buy Chinese where a choice is available.

Lol, you're a comedian, I live in house and where's there's a choice to not buy Chinese I make that choice.

So in your house, there are no PCB's? or anything from China? It must be a cave house without even a fridge. I applaud your nomadic lifestyle!

Im not wound up, just mocking the absurdity.

I agree that PL stuff is well built, and they are very decent sounding amps and I could live with one, I just happen to prefer the Jadis family sound. I'd have to agree that some early Jadis kit was decidedly iffy as regards soldering etc. but they seem to have got that sorted now so , "you pays your money and takes your choice" . As I'm sure you know already, PL and Jadis have the same UK importer/distributor, or at least they did last time I looked, which may or may not signify something :)

I understand that, you where wanting to change amplifiers for less faff, so I suggested a less faff valve amp rather than moving to a SS amplifier..as everyone knows, valves are the best :)

I didn't know that about the importers, not something I take too much notice of, but I am sure it signifies something somewhere...good kit sells, so an importer will always want to sell it.

Lol, you're a comedian, I live in house and where's there's a choice to not buy Chinese I make that choice.

Seemingly I need to point out the point I was trying to make earlier @flutteringwow you will note I wrote "where there's a CHOICE"
Now I'm sure you understand the concept of CHOICE.
Sometimes unfortunately there is no other choice than to except that for example all smart phones or TVs (perhaps) are made in China.

There's no indicator that it sounds better either, I do realise there's many supposedly 'British' or European products manufactured in China but I'll personally or knowingly not be buying any or encouraging others to do so.

Seemingly I need to point out the point I was trying to make earlier @flutteringwow you will note I wrote "where there's a CHOICE"
Now I'm sure you understand the concept of CHOICE.
Sometimes unfortunately there is no other choice than to except that for example all smart phones or TVs (perhaps) are made in China.

You missed the 'choice' bit out when you started your anti-China rhetoric..

You also missed the reason for wanting switching amplifiers hence the suggestion of PL, so your question of 'why' was already answered.

I bought Chinese about 20 years ago and she's been pretty reliable, but she was made in the Republic of China, not the People's Republic of China, so quite a democratic choice on my part. She doesn't make music but wonderful meals do make up for it.:D

Last edited:

advertisement

Back