advertisement

What's is a good compacted size cd player.

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all.
I am looking to reduce the size my hifi takes up and I am looking for a small
Case size cd player. I have two big vintage Japanese ones a Sony x77es and a kenwood dp1100sg.
Which I will probably sale one and keep the other as a spare or to use every now and again.
So will be looking so a smaller cased one as good or better then these.
Many thanks

New, Rega Apollo R.

Not heard the Exposure XM but if their full sized players are anything to go by, it’ll be a nice player!

Used, Linn Genki at £300-£400, detailed and dynamic if a little uncouth, Meridian 507 at £400-£550, smooth and wide open sound, a really pleasant listen… or a Linn Ikemi at around £750-£900, the best of both above, and then some, a special player.

Iv never listen to a Linn player. Or a Cyrus. Don't see people saying much about the Cyrus stuff.
Will the Linn players go with a non Linn system.

I use a Marantz HDCD1 as a transport and very satisfied. The inboard DAC is not on par with the Exposure or Rega though so not in the same league.
With an external DAC, it sounds very good.

Hi all.
I am looking to reduce the size my hifi takes up and I am looking for a small
Case size cd player. I have two big vintage Japanese ones a Sony x77es and a kenwood dp1100sg.
Which I will probably sale one and keep the other as a spare or to use every now and again.
So will be looking so a smaller cased one as good or better then these.
Many thanks

What is your budget?:)

As long as you can live with RCA only (using an adapter from Sounds Heavenly), take a look at the Bang and Olufsen Ouverture. I really, really fancy one of these - even if just for the proximity sensor trigger opening :D

The problem with top-loaders like the Rega and Exposure is they need to be on top - which can in some situations be more difficult to accommodate than a full width unit.
The only current half-width or smaller players I can see which aren't a slot-loader are the ATC CD2 and the Leema Elements CD. Both quite pricey.

Meridian 506/507/508

Small(er) form front loaders with a great reputation for sound quality. Getting on a bit now so may need some research as to which models still have spares available.

advertisement

Back