advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Inflation expectations mixed with global growth concerns have made many investors nervous that the business and the consumer will be much weaker in the second half of 2022. Safe-haven flows are starting to come gold’s way,” Edward Moya, senior market analyst at brokerage OANDA, said in a note.

Could be the start of a big step up for gold if the consensus on this thread is correct!
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...ank-tightens-policy-surprise-move-2021-10-14/

Was at the paint shop today. Even the sampler tins that were £3.50 a few months back are now £4.30...that's a 23% price hike. Guy behind the counter just goes..."It's because of Brexit/Covid mate".

My theory appears to be playing out. Everyone will be at it now even if their costs have only risen slightly. I can bet you that paint sampler won't be £3.50 again anytime soon and probably more than £4.30 in the new year. Inflation will not be 'transitory' unless we have a recession and we don't have them anymore as any sign of it and central governments will pour more money all over it...

From what I'm hearing, alot of retailers are taking their input cost price hikes on the chin for now but will really unload them onto the public after Xmas. So the current CPI figures aren't even 'real' let alone transitory.

I'll be interested how GDX/GDXJ do too. I need my bets on Gold and Silver to start producing as been crap most of this year. They be been dragging me down...

I’ll always hold a small % of gold / gold miners. Gold, oil and tech done nicely today (kiss of death for tomorrow…).

Gold hasn't been in the headlines for a year but it sure is creeping back in now

Just a bit hazy on gold. Thought that when interest rates were rising and upping the interest on deposits, the demand for gold etc. diminishes. However, there are other scenarios which can affect things, but I can only guess at these. Clue me in please.

If interest rates are high, but the inflation rate is even higher than interest rates, then you'll get a negative real return. So assets such as gold, in theory, at least give a zero return, or more if they appreciate in 'real' terms due to high demand - as a 'safe haven' store of wealth.
If interest rates increase to the current inflation rate (here, there or anywhere) then we are all doomed...major financial crash (+ house price crash).... and the gold price just might go through the roof (IMHO).

UK inflation rate is 3% (supposedly... but I guess you can tell for yourself how much your food and energy costs have gone up in the last few months - ours certainly a lot more than 3%!) vs interest rate 0.1%. US inflation is 5.4% (announced on Wednesday), with interest rate 0-0.25%.
It's going to be Armageddon - and they (governments) know it. Batten down the hatches.

UK inflation rate is 3% (supposedly..

Well, 3.2% in August and the September figure on which next year's pensions are based, is supposed to be the same. As it's the middle of October, I'm surprised my financial pp haven't shown the September figure, which I think may be higher, using your yardstick, which is reflected here as well. Energy and fuel both climbed in September for a start.

Checking Google, the BBC say 5.2 % CPI in Sept. (4.5 in August) but this differs from other reports. Surely, there can only be ONE set of figures for CPI and RPI !

The economy pretty much depends on people spending like there's no tomorrow. If (well when) inflation causes people to clam up then watch the shit show unfold.

Our family has already 'boycotted'..The only serious thing I've bought in the last year is a timber garden shed .. that's literally it apart from the usual family/car/house expenses. Maybe I'm in the minority though.

^^ yep, I’m not playing their game. I’ve said it before, the more they print, the less I’ll spend.

I've hardly bought a shed-load either, but that's mainly because there's nothing I want (or can seriously justify) that I don't already have, partly because I've so much stuff to get rid of and partly because spending is a necessity and not a pleasure as it is for so many people. My former wife (note; 'former') used to engage 'retail therapy' with my credit card when feeling a bit down. For me, it's retail melancholy.

I've learnt that, like greenhouses, always get a bigger shed that the size you think you need. Wished I'd gone to 12' wide instead of 10' many years ago. Had to get another, 12 x 6 to accommodate the garden overflow, though it's adjacent to the house, so convenient.

^^^ Oh yes, I learnt that lesson early on in life. I was going to get a 8" x 10" but thought...No, go bigger so it's a 10" x 10". Going square shed floor area is the future! With rectangular sheds, you just end up with the short corner full of shit.

Rate my shed lads?!?!

yyJ78j5.jpeg

Well, I'm leaving for Oz tomorrow and navigating all the Covid stuff isn't easy...this sure isn't over yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back