advertisement

Fiio players

not sure what you mean? I have added extra storage 64Gb micro SD with no problems - hope this helps

I think he means , how you add music and how it stores the file.

For example, most SD card based readers you can just drag your flac or mp3 folder onto it, and it will play on the player or anything else you put the SD card in. With Sony, I believe it converts the file to their proprietary system, similar to Apple. So you can't just drag and drop and share etc.

Another happy (for most of the time!) X5 mkiii user. It can be a bit 'clunky' as all Fiio's I've heard, but does sound good to these cloth ears.
Use it with either Sen 600's or Sound Magic iem
I agree... I have used an x5 iii... Sounded great, but clunky is right... slows down and takes a while to respond as well... did a number of factory resets but, after a while, it slows down again....
Gave up after a while and now use an Astell & Kern SR15... Sounds good (read...better) and doesn't slow down.

Downside? it was pricier!

I agree... I have used an x5 iii... Sounded great, but clunky is right... slows down and takes a while to respond as well... did a number of factory resets but, after a while, it slows down again....
Gave up after a while and now use an Astell & Kern SR15... Sounds good (read...better) and doesn't slow down.

Downside? it was pricier!
That's good to know that the A&K is better in that respect, always try to keep an eye on future possible changes, cheers.

I have the fiio M7. I really don't recommend it. It's slow to start up (10 seconds to load android). It has poor preset EQ modes. Search facility is not bad though.

My Cowon plenue D is far better to use and sounds better too.

I found the sound quality on the cheaper Fiio players to be very substandard. I never tried any above £200. I was appalled that something could be so bad to be honest.

I then purchased a Pioneer XDP30-R after returning them and it was like night and day. The Pioneer is brilliant.

Have you tried the XDP30-R as a playback device in your car via the line level outputs? I assume via mini usb?

Have you tried the XDP30-R as a playback device in your car via the line level outputs? I assume via mini usb?

I haven't tbh, I have a Bang Olufsen setup in my car which is really nice, and uses a HDD, SD cards, and Carplay generally so its not something that is ever needed.

I might give it a try though just out of curiosity, I'll try USB and Mini Jack.

Is their a specific reason you're asking or just curiosity?

I haven't tbh, I have a Bang Olufsen setup in my car which is really nice, and uses a HDD, SD cards, and Carplay generally.

I might give it a try though just out of curiosity, I'll try USB and Mini Jack.

Is their a specific reason you're asking or just curiosity?

I have been looking for a better music playback device than my iPhone for playing music in my cars. I haven't really fully investigated it yet but very little is mentioned about connecting these types of devices in the car. I would have thought if someone buying a device like this, would also want to hear better fidelity when in their car.

Went from a couple of cheap ones including a FiiO (all were too slow for me to be happy with, sounded reasonable enough but I always ended up back using the iPods) to Pioneer X30 which is excellent but now a bit behind the times on features and then an AK SR25/Campfire combo. Sound wise the AK is really excellent but it's not as snappy as a Smartphone to use, responsiveness has improved with each firmware update. You still have to manually install the Qobuz App, hoping ROON support will happen sometime soon. It has a Car Mode. With portables I've used Bluetooth, Apple iPod connector kits and 3.5mm Aux Jack methods - depends on what the motor has.

Reactions: GT
I usually just have an old iPod Classic on random play in each car and if I want to listen to a particular artist or album, I just select this manually from the iPod. All quite basic really. I just wanted to see if I could get better fidelity over these ageing iPods using one of these music players.

The last few cars have been a real let down on the audio side, I have an SLK at present which is decent much better than the Cayman. Using it with the Merc Apple kit in the armrest and an iPod classic, the album artwork comes up and the sound is pretty good, tried the AK25 FLAC by Bluetooth and it wasn’t noticable when driving which was which so I’ve stuck with the iPod and just leave it in the car.

Decided my next car will get a proper system from Audison installed.

I have been looking for a better music playback device than my iPhone for playing music in my cars. I haven't really fully investigated it yet but very little is mentioned about connecting these types of devices in the car. I would have thought if someone buying a device like this, would also want to hear better fidelity when in their car.

I'll give it a whirl over the weekend and let you know

Everything sounds wonderful through the BO in my car, so I've never felt like i needed more.

Ill try both line level and USB, as I presume USB will use the BO DAC and the line level will use the Pioneers Dac?

I'll give it a whirl over the weekend and let you know

Everything sounds wonderful through the BO in my car, so I've never felt like i needed more.

Ill try both line level and USB, as I presume USB will use the BO DAC and the line level will use the Pioneers Dac?

I would be really interested to know your findings. My second option was to get one of the latest iPod Touch and use that from car to car, now that Apple has WAV record ability.

I would be really interested to know your findings. My second option was to get one of the latest iPod Touch and use that from car to car, now that Apple has WAV record ability.

The Ipod Touch would be far easier to change tracks on as the screen is bigger. I have my Iphone 12, which I presume will have relatively the same architecture as the Touch, so will compare with the Pioneer. The Pioneer has Tidal, Deezer and tunein also, but no others.

The Ipod Touch would be far easier to change tracks on as the screen is bigger. I have my Iphone 12, which I presume will have relatively the same architecture as the Touch, so will compare with the Pioneer. The Pioneer has Tidal, Deezer and tunein also, but no others.

I'm sure. I don't stream or use bluetooth for music playback as I have several lifetimes worth of music (CDs, Vinyl etc) which I can load on to a device. I also use an iPhone in the car(s) if I want to use Apple car play, although I mostly use that for Waze.

Last edited:
Apple ipod with quad sdxc card conversion here for mobile use. My samsung s20 sounds better via Bluetooth in the car than the ipod on aux though. But ipod is much better with in ears, go figure.

I have also been looking for portable dac thingies. I had a creative x5 or similar which you plugged the headphones into and the phone connected to via bluetooth. I liked the idea of it but it could not retain a reliable bluetooth connection and was like 73% bass.

Whats out there on the cheap side for that type of thing? I am not in the mood to be strapping something to the back of my phone though, I dont want to be 'that guy' in london.

I have a Meridian system which for some reason only plays MP3 or Apple equivalent. It is a right pain as I had to down rate my hires files to play. Surprisingly it sounds quite good and better than the Harmon Kardon in my last car. I have a USB stick with my albums on.

I'm using a Fiio A5 amp on my phone, nothing special, just a Samsung Galaxy A10.

Supports a 512GB SD card and has FM radio.

The extra amp really tightens up the sound, esp the bass, making the phone a decent player.

Usually into Sennheiser Momentums, sometimes HD 280s.

I have a Fiio BTR3. It was recommended to me by someone on here. It’s fine for piping Qobuz/Roon stuff from my iPhone/iPad to my UE5’s.

advertisement

Back