advertisement

Load of old tat auction

Well overpriced tat for the most part!

They seem to have missed a trick with the Kef 104.2s and mission speakers though, not that I'm up for any more gear I'll never get round to fixing up and using.

I’m actually quite shocked by how poor the descriptions and photos are in most cases. Potentially some very nice items, but no way could you bid remotely with so little actual information. The estimates look a fair bit off (either way) to my eyes too.

You’re unlikely to find a vintage HiFi expert valuing items at the average auction house.

personally I’d want to see the valve monoblocks sold as pairs.

Ultimately the market will decide.

I’m actually quite shocked by how poor the descriptions and photos are in most cases. Potentially some very nice items, but no way could you bid remotely with so little actual information. The estimates look a fair bit off (either way) to my eyes too.

Agreed. The buyer's premium also seems a bit stiff compared with the norm for regional auction houses. 26.4% seems to be in Christies/Sothebys territory.

The Pye amplifiers date from the early 1950s and feature triode connected KT66 output valves giving a 12 watts power rating . The PF91 is very rare nowadays and ihe HF12 even more so. Both are top-end vintage amps,offering better performance than the revered Leak 12.1 IMHO.

The RGD 1046 Is an amplifier chassis removed from a 'high-end' radiogram of the late 1940s / early 1950s. It features PX4 triode output valves. Useable output, I guess is not more than around 7 or 8 watts. Very euphonic sound through sensitive speakers but not really true hi-fi.

I would expect the HF12 to achieve the highest price of the three.

if the estimates are accurate and fees are to be added.
I maybe shouldn't say this but don't count on the estimates as being accurate. I would be surprised if there was anyone 'in-house' at Anderson and Garland who knows anything about the amps, A&G are local to me they have never to my knowledge knowingly sold equipment like this, It is of course possible they got in some external advice.

The estimate values supplied lead me to the conclusion that the auctioneers have been guided by the vendor as regards perceived worth. I suspect that there will sizeable reserves set for most of the vintage hi-fi lots on offer.

~£50 for a Cyrus integrated Amp is very attractive. It would make a great gift for my nephew. Delivery and buyers fees takes the gloss off it but a modest price regardless. I'd have one for £50.

That estimate for a Fisher 800 is way out. A fully refurbed one in good condition went on ebay last week for £500

advertisement

Back