advertisement

New Birdlife Visitors

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Can anyone ID these?

51573741255_822bf4942d_c.jpg

Excellent. Very elegant flyers, though I’ve never seen one here in the Peak. Mostly kestrels, a few owls, and (very rarely) hen harriers.

Excellent. Very elegant flyers, though I’ve never seen one here in the Peak. Mostly kestrels, a few owls, and (very rarely) hen harriers.

I tend to associate them with the M40/M4 corridor, lots around Henley-on-Thames. But this is NW Kent I guess they are getting around.

and Herefordshire...

Watch for a body twisting motion to control flight as well, the tail turns in the opposite direction to the body to allow them to turn quickly for such a large bird.

They are bigger than most of the other birds... That might be a juvenile, I think the feathers darken with age.

Loads of red kites around the Skipton, Harrogate area. I'm often working up there on a project in Fangfoss and I can guarantee to see half a dozen every day on my commute from Skipton to Fangfoss.

We have lots of red kites and buzzards. On the Salisbury plan mainly red kites these days. Not so many Kestrels but screen a few sparrow hawks.

Haven’t seen one in Cornwall which is odd as they were re-introduced in Wales; obviously headed east rather than south. Centuries ago they were the dustbin men of London apparently.

We have plenty of Peregrines instead :)

They make a strange, whistling sound. The first time we saw any was when we were walking through a wood in High Wycombe & thought someone was whistling for their dog. Starting to see them here in mid-Suffolk too.

I don't mind kites, but I wish they would tidy themselves up a bit. On the ground, they look distinctly scruffy, and it's not good enough. My web-footed ladies go to great lengths to make sure their feathers are all lined up and ship-shape.
There was an edition of Chris Packham and Beast recently where a whole host of kites landed, and it looked like a Damned concert

advertisement

Back