advertisement

Wood speaker stands; anyone compared them to metal?

@Tony L is your thinking taking you towards Russ' Torlyte?
https://www.russandrews.com/torlyte-loudspeaker-stands/

I suspect I’m thinking in that general direction, but not exactly as I’ve pretty much given up on spikes and certainly rejected cones. To my ears felt furniture pads are the best way I’ve so far tried to couple speakers to stands, certainly better than top-spikes or cones, and an improvement on Blu-Tac too. I’ve long since rejected spikes and cones as equipment feet, or on supports, racks etc.

The Partington A4 stands though constructed from cylindrical steel used three little cones on the top in conjunction with a little concave deep washer, effectively de-coupling the speaker from the stand, they were very effective in use, indeed a better stand than my brothers R4s, they were filled with a mix of lead shot and kiln dried sand, if you ever get the opportunity to buy/try a pair I think they would be an excellent aesthetic match with your 149s but only you could deem whether they're a preferred sonic match in your system @Tony L

Go the whole hog and suspend them from the ceiling. Bet something gorgeous could be devised.

kidding.

:)

About 30 odd yrs. ago I came to the conclusion that hanging speakers from the ceiling would be a positive move.

I still think it would work very well. Some nice heavy hemp rope

Those Rogers speakers would look good hanging.

I moved from a pair of metal stands ( B & W ) to Hi Fi Racks ‘Duet’ wooden ones for my
Stirling V3s.

I think there’s an improvement in the sound and also they look so much nicer.
Have to admit it was the look of them which first attracted me.

Incidentally, I’ve never had spikes of any sort on stands, especially under the speakers.
I’ve a wooden floor, so spikes were out anyway.

I bought these Sound Organisation stands back in 2006 along with the matching three tier stand that’s used for a 32 inch TV and Sonos Amp in my three season porch.

JJG3GOh.jpg

The stands are much lighter than the early Linn Kan stands or the latter made SO speaker stands that resemble the heavy Target stands the I think Tony wants to replace. I wonder what the difference in weight would be between these and comparably sized wooden stands. I wouldn’t be surprised if these metal stands are less weight.

I think, in cases like these, it's important to consider what 'speaker stands are for. I suppose, primarily, they are to get the tweeters to ear height. Another important aspect is to stop (or reduce) swaying too and fro (Newton's Third Law of motion). Then there are vibrations to be considered.

I have placed a pair of 3/5 clones on wooden chairs before now, and Epos M5 on heavy metal stands, but passed those on!

Sand and/or lead particle damping doesn't work unless displacements are huge! The added mass just helps to keep the heavy stands from moving too much.

Metal stands will (and do) vibrate in sympathy, and so will wood, to an extent depending on construction and type of wood. Most hardwoods vibrate a lot, and are not damped. And as the Rogers drums are prone to vibrating, you might consider why you like them so much. Do you want to damp them?

And just for the record, I use Usher floor standing 'speakers, with spikes well pressed into large pieces of veneered mdf, which sit on a carpet (over a concrete floor). Certainly stops the Ushers from rocking (bass improved) and the carpet damps the mdf, so clears up the treble frequencies.

I’m increasingly getting an itch to try some wood speaker stands for my JR149s. A lot of what I have learned over the past 20 years or so with audio seems to come down to challenging widely accepted orthodoxy/groupthink with regards to “rigidity” (bolt tightness etc), rejecting high-mass turntables and speakers, spikes etc etc, so it strikes me it may be time to rethink my speaker stands. I currently have two pairs of very highly regarded high-mass stands; Target R4s, which are just insanely heavy, and in fairness superb with many speakers (especially little ProAcs etc). The other pair are Falcon’s own LS3/5A stands, which I’ll certainly keep for that speaker. I really like the look of the AudioChic tripods and I could custom order round tops and whatever height I liked for the 149s, plus I could put my money where my mouth was and get rubber feet rather than spikes. They are bloody expensive (especially as I’d want walnut given teak is sadly not an option), so a hell of a gamble even if I factored selling the R4s.

Basically I’m right out in theory land, I’ve never listened to this. I am convinced one of the reasons the JR149s are so bloody good is they are low-mass (compared to typical naff MDF boxes) and non-resonant, so chucking them on big heavy mass-loaded stands might not be the answer. I’ll admit there is also an aesthetic aspect here too, they’ve never looked right on boring square stands!

So, has anyone moved from metal to wood stands? The closest I’ve done is I moved from mass loaded stands to Something Solid when I had Harbeth Compact 7ES, and they certainly improved, but they are still a resonant metal stand and not as light as they look (I’m not knocking them, they are superb stands).

Have you tried isolating the speakers from the stands? It might be interesting to stick with the heavy stands, but put some IsoAcoustics pucks (e.g. OREA) between the stand and the speaker.

I use some very chunky hi fi stands oak speaker stands with my 103.2s.

I have long suspected that all stands have to do is support a speaker firmly at the correct height and ensure that vibration does not travel into the floor and vice versa.

I think, in cases like these, it's important to consider what 'speaker stands are for. I suppose, primarily, they are to get the tweeters to ear height. Another important aspect is to stop (or reduce) swaying too and fro (Newton's Third Law of motion). Then there are vibrations to be considered.

This is where audiophile thinking starts going very wrong to my mind. Even in a fairly light speaker like a JR149 there is more than enough mass to stop it moving anywhere meaningful due to broadband audio-frequency vibration. If you think of a typical music signal it contains all frequencies from low bass to high treble and even the very lowest isn’t going to be able to move the cabinet far enough to impact the highest. I suspect what is actually happening can all be put down to exciting sympathetic resonances in the cabinets themselves, in the stands, and in the floor. The drivers are as still as that given cabinet design allows them to be.

Metal stands will (and do) vibrate in sympathy, and so will wood, to an extent depending on construction and type of wood. Most hardwoods vibrate a lot, and are not damped. And as the Rogers drums are prone to vibrating, you might consider why you like them so much. Do you want to damp them?

No, I certainly don’t want to damp them. I’ve come to the conclusion that low-mass cabinets that lose energy fast in a controlled way (e.g. BBC designs) are *vastly* preferable sonically to my ears to those that attempt to damp and store energy with mass. Most of the speakers I like the least are very heavy boxes. I’m on pretty much the same page with record decks. Beyond a decent rotating mass for speed stability I think weight is best avoided here too. Mass strikes me as very lazy design. Just shovel more crap on until you’ve masked the inherent design limitations!

I have long suspected that all stands have to do is support a speaker firmly at the correct height and ensure that vibration does not travel into the floor and vice versa.

Yes, that is pretty much where I’m ending up, but minus the mass or metal’s tendency to ring in the audio band. I like the idea of wood as any resonance will be low-Q and well below the midband (this basically being how BBC cabinets work).

I've used wooden Ikea Oddvar stools (GBP10 a piece) for more than 10 years now to support my (2 subsequent pairs) Harbeth C7ES3
A little low (45 cm) maybe, but reasonably stiff, non resonant and not heavy weighing
Very pleased with the soundresult; easy to get an idea of the result of wood for cheap money

This is not so mad a plan. I have done similar in the past and using chairs or stools to test the theory is a good test bed.

Yes, that is pretty much where I’m ending up, but minus the mass or metal’s tendency to ring in the audio band. I like the idea of wood as any resonance will be low-Q and well below the midband (this basically being how BBC cabinets work).

Constrained layer damping will do everything the BBC cabinets do, but better.

Watch from about 36 minutes

Yup, 2 months ago I posed this question on another forum and got no replies, so I decided to build myself a pair of lightweight speaker stands for my Dali Oberon 1 speakers. I was using a pair of heavy Alphason metal stands. Having bought a table saw for another project I could now cut the wood to any size/thickness I wanted. The only wood available to me at the time was pine unfortunately.
As soon as I placed the wooden stands under the speakers I was rewarded with a more natural sound. Bass was just as deep but it was more natural and much better layered, and voices sounded a bit more natural. All in all a very worthwhile improvement to these ears.
The metal stands are now in the loft :)

I feel that is a compromise, they like a bit of space behind them to my ears. Not anything like as much as LS3/5As, but they don’t like sitting where Kans would either. I feel 8-12” from the wall sounds about right, though I’m sure that would vary room to room.

I posted a picture of mine mounted on the wall in the wine thread today, they work really well like that I think because of the alcove, which is effectively 8-12” deep.

What are those stands made out of some really dense and heavy composite wood type material? We discussed them once Tony. They’re the ones I’d like you to try!

I'm a big fan of Sorbothane hemispheres for decoupling speakers from their supports.

I was delighted by how much difference they made in my dining room system which has some Wharfedale Diamonds on a sideboard.

The better sellers have a calculator to help you select the right hemispheres for the mass of object you want to isolate.

As soon as I placed the wooden stands under the speakers I was rewarded with a more natural sound. Bass was just as deep but it was more natural and much better layered, and voices sounded a bit more natural. All in all a very worthwhile improvement to these ears.

That’s encouraging. The bass is the area I was worried about as way, way back when I had ProAc Tab 50 Sigs I remember the huge upgrade R4s brought from some cheap far flimsier Atacama stands I’d had previously. It was quite remarkable, like moving to a much larger speaker, but the R4s were designed for the ProAcs so obviously a synergy there. I suspect 149s being an infinite baffle play by different rules.

What are those stands made out of some really dense and heavy composite wood type material? We discussed them once Tony. They’re the ones I’d like you to try!

No idea! To be honest I’m drawn the the stands I link to as I think they’ll look great under the 149s and very few if any normal stands do. I’m also looking to drop them down a bit as the Falcon LS3/5A stands have them sitting a bit too high (they are a bigger speaker). This exacerbated by my listening being on a low beanbag. I do like being below a speaker rather than above, but I’m actually below the bass driver in this case. I suspect 520-540mm or so would be about right for beanbag listening, the Falcons are 600mm. I’d obviously need to agonise over that one for months…

advertisement

Back